Barcelona (Queen version)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Barcelona (Queen version)

Postby nickguy1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Imagine Brian & Roger re-work this song into a Queen song

What would it sound like?

nickguy1
Spread Your Wings

Disappointed

Re: Barcelona (Queen version)

Postby Kes » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Like Queen doing Barcelona?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Snackpot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 pm

I didn't really work the orchestral re-working of the song they did a few years ago. I thought the backing track compared to the original sounded a bit washed out.

Not sure where they'd fit in a guitar solo for a Queen version.

Snackpot
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:23 am

I always thought the backing track on the original sounded a bit too "synthesised". Still, there was only SO much you could do with synthesisers in 1987.

Maybe they should have got Mike Moran in to score the orchestral parts, and maybe "re-produce" the rework. It would have made more sense. That and get Decca to release the album, as the people in that department know how to market classical styled music, and it's offshoots, a lot better than UMG's pop labels do.

As regards the guitar solos, just put them in where Montsy's bits are. Didn't seem to worry them with finding room for David Garrett's screeching violin solo, in the album's closing version of 'How Can I Go On', did it?

In short, a Queen version of Barcelona, would probably end up sounding like the other Freddie/Mike Moran track from the Barcelona sessions that made a Queen release, Cairo At Night, or All God's People as we know it.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sebastian » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Kes wrote:In short, a Queen version of Barcelona, would probably end up sounding like the other Freddie/Mike Moran track from the Barcelona sessions that made a Queen release, Cairo At Night, or All God's People as we know it.

That's a false legend.

'All God's People' was written for a solo project Fred was making, which got shelved because of 'Barcelona.' It wasn't written for 'Barcelona' and never intended to have been a duet with Montserrat Caballé.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:50 pm

sebastian wrote:
Kes wrote:In short, a Queen version of Barcelona, would probably end up sounding like the other Freddie/Mike Moran track from the Barcelona sessions that made a Queen release, Cairo At Night, or All God's People as we know it.

That's a false legend.

'All God's People' was written for a solo project Fred was making, which got shelved because of 'Barcelona.' It wasn't written for 'Barcelona' and never intended to have been a duet with Montserrat Caballé.

There's more than THAT track being a released Freddie Mercury/Mike Moran written track, not featuring Montserrat Caballe, anyway, did I infer it was ever intended as a Barcelona track, all I said was that it came out of the same group of sessions (or period of Freddie's break from Queen, if you prefer) as the songs for Barcelona did, which range from the start of his work with Mike Moran, to the end of it, and include the Time tracks, and his Great Pretender/Exercises In Free Love recordings. As we all know, Exercises evolved from being a Freddie only track, to a Montsy's only track, and into a duet as well. So all bases covered with that one.

The Golden Boy has about twenty times more potential of being turned into a workable Queen track than Barcelona does.

And does anyone else really rate All God's People as an excellent Queen track? I know I don't. I, personally, rate Delilah higher than All God's People, and it seems EVERYBODY pans that one.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby soxtalon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:14 pm

^ I do! I actually HIGHLY rate All God's People. It is a very theatrical piece with some great moments.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Kes wrote:did I infer it was ever intended as a Barcelona track

Sort of, yeah:

Kes wrote:it came out of the same group of sessions (or period of Freddie's break from Queen, if you prefer) as the songs for Barcelona did

In that sense that's a far better way to put it.

Kes wrote:(or period of Freddie's break from Queen, if you prefer) ... which range from the start of his work with Mike Moran, to the end of it, and include the Time tracks...

Just to be pedantic, the Time tracks were not during a break per se. They were done in parallel to the 'Magic' sessions. Fred was basically working on both at the same time. From 'Great Pretender' up to his aborted solo album (which included 'All God's People', probably with Brian guesting even at those early stages) and then early 'Barcelona' sessions (which, according to the evidence, did not include 'All God's People'), those were done indeed during a hiatus. Then it all became more confusing as sessions for 'Barcelona', 'The Miracle', 'Back to the Light' and Elaine's album of Queen covers overlapped, so there was some cross-pollination (no pun intended, as 'Shove It' was finished before the beginning of 'The Miracle' sessions and 'Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know' started almost half a year after 'The Miracle' was released).

Kes wrote:And does anyone else really rate All God's People as an excellent Queen track? I know I don't. I, personally, rate Delilah higher than All God's People, and it seems EVERYBODY pans that one.

It's mostly a fireworks display IMO. It's got magnificent singing and some great guitar playing and some nice drumming and strong bass playing and a very brief but interesting piano bit by Mike ... but it lacks cohesion and coherence to make it a bona fide song - 'Bo Rhap' was a real song (despite its changes of style and tempo), so were 'Black Queen', 'Waltz', 'Innuendo', 'Prophet's Song' and so on; this one was more of a collection of throwaway sections, more like a demo which made it to the final cut.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Return to Killer Queen