Chris Thompson - FM tribute concert -92 & Cardiff Castle -76

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Chris Thompson - FM tribute concert -92 & Cardiff Castle -76

Postby TheHero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Interview quote:

C.T. - The Freddie Mercury show was a bit of a nightmare for me, because I was supposed to be singing in a couple of songs. They got kind of knocked out in the last minute because of some ridicules time constraint. I was the only person there without a manager to shout loud enough. There was like 15 million people watching TV. Everyone else had a manager, so they kicked my song out first.

http://musicguy247.typepad.com/my-blog/ ... mpson.html

Chris Thompson can also be seen on backing vocals throughout the tribute concert, but as I understand from this interview, he was supposed to sing lead vocals on 1 or 2 songs... I wonder what songs ? :shock:
I am very curious.

In any case, it is a big, big shame, because vocally he was one of the best among the lot of celebrities on that stage. He would have done a fantastic job!

At the end of the concert, I believe after WATC, Brian sends a special thanks to Chris Thompson in his speech..

If anyone has more information on this story, please share..
Last edited by TheHero on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Chris Thompson on the FM tribute concert

Postby TheHero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:08 pm

phpBB [video]

Chris Thompson on lead vocals with Manfred Mann's Earth Band

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 pm

I guess his collaboration with Brian May, and the fact that they supported Queen on tour is probably why he was invited to the tribute concert in the first place..

Quote from interview:

R.V.B. - I've noticed that you've worked with quite a few people through the years. You did some work with Brian May and Steve Hackett. Was that fun for you working with these guys.

C.T. - It was always a great experience to work with other people, especially people that I admired over the years. Playing with Brian was great. I first met Brian at Cardiff Castle in 1975/76 when we supported Queen. We remained friends, and I asked him to play on a solo record of mine... which he did. Steve Hackett asked us to play, and Brian got involved in that project as well. It was very interesting and always surprising to see the result. Especially with Steve Hackett, because the recording didn't come out for about 10 or 12 tears after we recorded it. It was extraordinary to suddenly have it on a record.

R.V.B. - After thinking that it might not even come out? That's kind of unusual. I guess it was shelved by the record company?

C.T. - I don't know what happened with that record with Steve? I think he went back with Yes again. I think he just got involved with just doing other things and went back to it. I think Brian probably coaxed him and said "Hey, what happened to those tracks that we did?" That's probably what happened.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:33 pm

phpBB [video]

Brian is saying especially thanks to Chris Thompson here, but I don't get the words... anyone ?

Especially Chris Thompson, who made.. ?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:54 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Chris and Brian on vocals
Last edited by TheHero on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:59 pm

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/cardiff- ... ivals.html

The stage in 1976, Cardiff Castle open air concert. Richie Blackmore was supposed to support Queen, but Manfred Mann came instead, and Chris Thompson and Brian met here for the first time. (Notice the Queen crest on the speaker cabinets).

Richie Blackmore & Rainbow refused to play Cardiff Castle because they couldn't get onstage their 35-foot high artificial rainbow which they regarded as an "essential part of their act". Probably they weren't allowed to put it up due to upstaging Queen!
http://www.queenconcerts.com/live/queen/summer76.html

A very beautiful place for a concert. Must have been fantastic in the 70s. A quick search, and I found out that it was haunted by ghosts too.. exciting.

http://www.cardiffcastle.com/whats-on/2 ... host-tour/
https://www.cardiffhistory.co.uk/index.php?p=35

What a perfect place to play the Queen II songs, Ogre Battle etc. Totally epic!

01. Bohemian Rhapsody (intro)
02. Ogre Battle
03. Sweet Lady
04. White Queen
05. Flick Of The Wrist
06. You're My Best Friend
07. Bohemian Rhapsody
08. Killer Queen
09. March Of The Black Queen
10. Bohemian Rhapsody (reprise)
11. Bring Back That Leroy Brown
12. Brighton Rock
13. Son And Daughter (reprise)
14. '39
15. You Take My Breath Away
16. The Prophet's Song
17. Stone Cold Crazy
18. Doin' All Right (*)
19. Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon (*)
20. Tie Your Mother Down (*)
21. Keep Yourself Alive
22. Liar
23. In The Lap Of The Gods... revisited
24. Now I'm Here (*)
25. Big Spender (*)
26. Jailhouse Rock (*)
27. God Save The Queen (*)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Chris Thompson - FM tribute concert -92 & Cardiff Castle

Postby TheHero » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:48 am

Cardiff Castle 1976

It poured rain throughout this outdoor show in Wales, as illustrated in this review from Sounds.

Roger Taylor wrote about the show in the autumn '76 fan club magazine, describing the weather as "virtually a monsoon." He adds, "The sight of the rain pouring down through the spotlights on everybody, and of Freddie splashing his way through pools of water at the front of the stage will remain indelibly printed on our memories forever. The fact that people stayed on and enjoyed themselves right to the end made it quite a moving occasion for us. In fact, I was so overcome I just had to wreck me drum kit at the end, which reduced 'Crystal' my roadie to floods of tears rivalling the rain (it was a brand new kit too!). Anyway if you were there thanks for being our bravest audience ever and I hope the pneumonia cleared up."

This is assumingly the final performance of Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon.

In his Queen Live book, Queen archivist Greg Brooks alleges there is a bootleg of this show called "Queen At The Castle," but no such release ever occurred. There are no known recordings of this show.
http://www.queenlive.ca/queen/76-09-10.htm

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:01 am

phpBB [video]

Status Quo with Rick Parfitt (RIP) a couple of months before the Queen gig. Gives you an idea of how the Cardiff Castle area looked like at the time. I suppose this is the closest you get to a video recording, as no footage is known to exist.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 am

TheHero wrote:
phpBB [video]

Brian is saying especially thanks to Chris Thompson here, but I don't get the words... anyone ?

Especially Chris Thompson, who made.. ?

At work so I can't remember the exact wording or listen but IIRC it was something about giving his services for free....(or for nothing)

As for which song:

http://dmme.net/interviews/chthomp.html

– And it’s because of your friendship that you were a musical director of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert?

I wasn’t the musical director of that, I was the… the person who sang with the band all the songs when the artists were not able to be there, so I was a kind of the rehearsal singer for everybody. Plus, organising all the background vocals and singing background vocals myself. I was supposed to sing a song, “A Kind Of Magic”, but unfortunately, it got cut off on the day, which is very disappointing for me.

I also have to say that he did a killer job on the parts of The Show Must Go On that he did with Brian and Roger at the 46664 gig...just fastforward the vid

phpBB [video]

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 pm

soxtalon wrote:As for which song:

http://dmme.net/interviews/chthomp.html

– And it’s because of your friendship that you were a musical director of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert?

I wasn’t the musical director of that, I was the… the person who sang with the band all the songs when the artists were not able to be there, so I was a kind of the rehearsal singer for everybody. Plus, organising all the background vocals and singing background vocals myself. I was supposed to sing a song, “A Kind Of Magic”, but unfortunately, it got cut off on the day, which is very disappointing for me.

I've often wondered why that track never got a showing. Now I know. Thanks.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Pingu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:12 pm

That Cardiff Castle stuff is priceless. I love Queen concert reviews from the 70s, they're written in a much less 'arch' way than they started to be in the punk era/early 80s. Even when someone is not really a fan they still see the appeal, or at least accentuate the positive.

Re Chris Thompson I'm sure he's a terrific singer/chap, and by all accounts was indispensable during the Tribute rehearsals.. but I think giving him a whole song to do (let alone two) would have been madness. If anything Rog should have done AKOM, even from behind the kit. I still think they got the guest singers spot on in terms of 'names' that the audience/public knew of.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby pootle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:07 pm

As far as I am aware, Pingu, Roger WAS planned to do AKOM, but again, sur to time constraints, it was pulled.
Whilst I enjoyed hearing TMLWKY for the first time, I have to say that considering Brian then went on to release his version of it the following year and then we got the Queen version in '95, I'd have preferred Roger singing a song.

Hearing freddie sing TMLWKY in '95 was a revelation, but not as much as it should have been. Brian should NOT have released his version previously, though I guess at the time he didn't know it would make the final Queen album.

pootle
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:26 am

Pingu wrote:Re Chris Thompson I'm sure he's a terrific singer/chap, and by all accounts was indispensable during the Tribute rehearsals.. but I think giving him a whole song to do (let alone two) would have been madness.

Two would've been too much, but one would've been good. Chris, unlike many of the guest singers, actually knew Fred / worked with him briefly. Cherone had had 20-odd minutes as part of one of the supporting acts, he did a great job but there was no need to have him for yet another song ... another option was Zucchero, who was basically irrelevant for the big picture and who never even met Frederick - plus 'Magic' (either sung by Rog or Chris), as much as I dislike it (sort of), is a far more important Queen song than 'Hammer to Fall' or 'Las Palabras de Amor.'
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Wild/Wind » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:01 am

Some of the artists were asked by the record companies. Queen and production team could not do something. That's why some acts were irrelevant.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:04 am

TheHero wrote:I guess his collaboration with Brian May, and the fact that they supported Queen on tour is probably why he was invited to the tribute concert in the first place..

Quote from interview:

R.V.B. - I've noticed that you've worked with quite a few people through the years. You did some work with Brian May and Steve Hackett. Was that fun for you working with these guys.

C.T. - It was always a great experience to work with other people, especially people that I admired over the years. Playing with Brian was great. I first met Brian at Cardiff Castle in 1975/76 when we supported Queen. We remained friends, and I asked him to play on a solo record of mine... which he did. Steve Hackett asked us to play, and Brian got involved in that project as well. It was very interesting and always surprising to see the result. Especially with Steve Hackett, because the recording didn't come out for about 10 or 12 tears after we recorded it. It was extraordinary to suddenly have it on a record.

R.V.B. - After thinking that it might not even come out? That's kind of unusual. I guess it was shelved by the record company?

C.T. - I don't know what happened with that record with Steve? I think he went back with Yes again. I think he just got involved with just doing other things and went back to it. I think Brian probably coaxed him and said "Hey, what happened to those tracks that we did?" That's probably what happened.

A couple of interesting bits in there, and I LOVE a good howler. :-)

The most important being that Steve Howe was the guitarist in Yes, not Steve Hackett, as he was in Genesis, and NEVER went back to them, after he left.

'Slot Machine' is a good track, and it's amazing it didn't get to have a much higher profile than it did.

Anyway, how good are your ears?

This is something I'd never caught before from the out-takes of the rehearsal footage. Not so much what you see, as what you hear.

phpBB [video]
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Next

Return to Killer Queen