Other bands that are like Queen.

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Other bands that are like Queen.

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:00 am

In the tradition of all-female tribute bands like AC/DShe and Lez Zep, there should be an all-female Queen tribute band....called "King" of course....

I've seen Lez Zep, by the way, excuse me, Lez Zeppelin, on YouTube, they do a good job!

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 pm

bigV wrote:Queen are different. In 15 albums and as many solo albums, they have tried every conceivable style of music

Not even close but lots of sub-genres of rock/pop music that had different flavours.

bigV wrote:- from opera and jazz, to heavy metal, rap and samba; from classic blues-rock to conceptual space rock; they were a glam rock band, a punk rock band and an 80s pop group. They really could and did do it all.

Again, they didn't do it all and they weren't always good at the stuff they tackled.

bigV wrote:Look at The Works - all the different styles they put into a single album. I defy anyone to tell me the name of any
group that could put out an album like that and not disappoint their fans, and moreover - that album gave the band a number of hit songs.

Not that many different styles over 9 tracks. As for the album itself, it's not even regarded as one of their best among the hardcore fan-base or a wider audience. In fact you could argue it's one of their weakest efforts.

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Postby Wild/Wind » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:56 pm

When the Works came out it really worked! It was commercial recordwith some quality and some clever songs. It brought many new fans and until the release of GH 2, it had good back catalogue sales.
It is not Classic album but as commercial pop - rock record is good. If it had some songs more, like man on Fire, Love Kills, I go Crazy it could have been different story... Maybe we could speak for one of their Best 80s output.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby Graham » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:04 pm

Have people heard Jellyfish's 1993 album Split Milk? Its classified as power pop, but I always hear quite a bit of Queen in their sound on this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojV8kNfWK8

Graham
Spread Your Wings

Postby GalileoFigaro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:49 am

A song that really strikes me as one of the most, if not the most, Queen-esque works is "United States of Eurasia" by Muse on their album The Resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5-K51jHQ6k

The opening piano part is reminiscent of the chromatic descending progression heard in "Killer Queen" and culminates in powerful layered vocals associated with the Queen sound. In the transition to the next verse, you can hear percussion parts similar to the simple rhythms of "We Will Rock You". The following section has an Eastern-sounding vibe that reminds me of "Inmuendo" and "Mustapha". The song finally segues to "Nocturne in E-flat Major" by Chopin, arguably the most influential classical composer on Freddie's piano playing.

It's just one example, but it's good enough for Brian to draw comparisons, so they must have been doing something right.
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Graham wrote:Have people heard Jellyfish's 1993 album Split Milk? Its classified as power pop, but I always hear quite a bit of Queen in their sound on this album.

For sure, I used to listen to these back in the day. May dig the two albums out later for a spin. One had a live version of Wings' 'Jet', if I remember.

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:19 am

Capt. Den Ronson wrote:
Graham wrote:Have people heard Jellyfish's 1993 album Split Milk? Its classified as power pop, but I always hear quite a bit of Queen in their sound on this album.

For sure, I used to listen to these back in the day. May dig the two albums out later for a spin. One had a live version of Wings' 'Jet', if I remember.

Absolutely. My friend gave me Spilt Milk knowing I'd like them based on my love for Queen. I promptly got Bellybutton too.

Neither disc had the cover unless there was an edition with a bonus track....but it was easily accessible - they had a box set, and there may have been an EP. But their cover is a nice one...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Anna » Tue May 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Just stumbled on this thread. Jimi, funny you should mention Boston. I always thought some of their sounds were a little like Queen such as the guitarists pieces in their music, but I never heard anyone else mention it until now. I grew up listening to Boston too.

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hernán » Tue May 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Very interesting thread.

I can add the Canadian group Saga, who sounded like a weird mix of Queen, Rush and even a bit of Frank Zappa. They have some very good songs and they are most famous for the track "On The Loose".

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 pm

In terms of lumping key changes and tempo changes into one piece of music, I don't think you can ignore Kansas with their single "Carry On Wayward Son". Btw, they were the support band for Queen on one of their North American tours.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby blueviolin » Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Sparks in the 70's , some of 10cc, as well as some of Ian Hunter (I would say, specially his first solo album), makes me think of Queen.

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Fri May 12, 2017 6:43 am

That's cool Anna.i was a huge fan of their debut album over here in the U.K.when It was released.I chose them as Queen esque immediately.Spontaneous reaction to the question is best!
After longer reflection I would concur with early Sparks and Hunter.in addition Sweet were a sort of low calorie queen

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Killer Queen