"The Best of Queen" - My Ultimate Selection - And Yours?

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

"The Best of Queen" - My Ultimate Selection - And Yours?

Postby Anders Jensen » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:13 am

Sometimes I have thought about what songs would be included on Queens Greatest Hits albums if people had the same taste as me. Here is my answer for the first Greatest Hits album.

Dear Friends
Misfire
Long away
You and I
Teo Torriatte ( Let us cling together)
'39
Sweet Lady
The Prophet's Song
Fat Bottomed Girls
If You Can't Beat Them
In Only Seven Days
Who Needs You
It's Late
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Save me
Nevermore
My Fairy King.

I have not decided if the songs should appear in this order. It's the order in which I decided to include them.
I have decided to choose 17 tracks like as on the official Greatest Hits. I could easily have included more tracks from the II, but if I included as much I almost the entire album could end up on the Greatest Hits. I think all the albums Queen had released so far should be included, that's why I included "My Fairy King". It was hard for me to choose one song over the other from the Queen "I" album.

How good do think my selection is compared to the official?

Anders Jensen
Spread Your Wings

Re: Greatest Hits ( I ) - My Ultimate Selection - And Yours?

Postby TheHero » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:43 am

It is not a "hits" list, but I know what you mean..

I like these:

My Fairy King
Never More
The Prophet's Song
It's Late
In Only Seven Days
Long Away
Teo Torriatte
'39
Save Me
Fat Bottomed Girls

Songs I would add to the list:

Keep Yourself Alive
The Night Comes Down
White Queen
Father To Son
Bohemian Rhapsody
Somebody To Love
My Melancholy Blues
We Are The Champions
Bicyle Race

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Being fair, only six of your list were ever A Sides on singles, and three of them were only minor hits in a single territory.

A more definitive list of worldwide hits was released on a compilation a few years back, called Absolute Greatest.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Echoplex » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:40 pm

As pointed out above its not really a greatest hits list. I do like the tracks listed but this is one of those subjects that really has no definitive answer as everyone has a slightly different view of what their favourite track list would be.

This album would have to be a "best of" rather than a "greatest hits" and don't all these songs sit better on the albums they originally appear on anyway?

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:12 am

I still like, and play, an album called "The Digital Master Sampler", it was a kind of "Deep Cuts" promo sampler album, put out at the same time as the first Parlophone remasters.

In it's day, it was the canine's appendage.

Maybe the thread title could do with being changed to "The Best Of Queen", as opposed to "Greatest Hits".

I'll do that, as it's asking for what you consider could be "your" best of.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Re: "The Best of Queen" - My Ultimate Selection - And Yours?

Postby Anders Jensen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Well as i wrote. It would be the Greatest Hits if people generally shared my taste.

Of course it is absolutely subjective. I think I could be funny if any other also had taste so different from the most common than me.

The best of is good title if we add "so far". Bye the time Queen released their Greatest Hits. Their best music was still to come I think.

Anders Jensen
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Kes wrote:Being fair, only six of your list were ever A Sides on singles, and three of them were only minor hits in a single territory.

A more definitive list of worldwide hits was released on a compilation a few years back, called Absolute Greatest.

Absolute Greatest had one glaring omission. But whatever will be, will be... as they say.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Kes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:58 pm

bigV wrote:
Kes wrote:Being fair, only six of your list were ever A Sides on singles, and three of them were only minor hits in a single territory.

Absolute Greatest had one glaring omission. But whatever will be, will be... as they say.

V.

I'll assume you're talking about Innuendo, but I think all the tracks on it actually outsold Innuendo, taking into account that despite getting to #1, Innuendo was only on the UK charts about four or five weeks, and wasn't even a single in the US at all.

AG was actually a reflective compilation of their best selling singles globally, and of course Innuendo takes up the room of two to three shorter tracks. We could argue that We Will Rock You wasn't really a hit in its own right in the UK until the 5ive + Queen version, I know I do, but as was pointed out to me, in places like France and the US, the track had a much bigger profile back in 1977/1978.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Anders Jensen wrote:Well as i wrote. It would be the Greatest Hits if people generally shared my taste.

Of course it is absolutely subjective. I think I could be funny if any other also had taste so different from the most common than me.

The best of is good title if we add "so far". Bye the time Queen released their Greatest Hits. Their best music was still to come I think.

I think it's pretty fair to say that in the age before downloads, a "hit" would have to be something that generated singles sales. Maybe that's why all the tracks on the real Greatest Hits had been chart singles (A's or double A's) in the "territories" where the Greatest Hits album was released, and why America's track listing differed to Japan's, South America's and Europe's.

Despite 'A Day In The Life' being considered by many, as one of The Beatles best songs, I don't know anyone who's call it a "hit".
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby bigV » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:33 pm

Kes wrote:I'll assume you're talking about Innuendo, but I think all the tracks on it actually outsold Innuendo, taking into account that despite getting to #1, Innuendo was only on the UK charts about four or five weeks, and wasn't even a single in the US at all.

Numbers aside, it's a damn fine song. I'd even go as far as to say that it's their best, bar none.

But that's my personal opinion.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Kes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 pm

It's a BLOODY good song, and if the band had a smaller list of popular songs, and if eighty minutes wasn't the confines of the disc, it would have no doubt been on there.

The set was originally meant to be seventeen songs, like the GH albums, but the suggestion was made that the CD could use all 80 minutes, maybe get 20 songs on there, and it could really be like Live Aid, use of a set time frame for the maximum impact.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Return to Killer Queen