Album Review Blog - Queen

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Graham » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:21 am

Hello, I've been working on an album review blog, where I cover some of my favourite bands, and I've covered all 15 Queen albums at https://albumreviews.blog/reviews/queen/. Please drop I don't think my views on Queen are too unconventional, but let me know if you agree/disagree.

It's just a hobby site, and probably needs an editor, so please don't be too harsh on it.
 
Graham
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Pingu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:21 pm

It's a very well written blog and the album reviews I imagine are quite refreshing to people like me who already know them back to front.

Your opinions and analysis are clear and thoughtful. My main criticism is that sometimes you're clearly winging it and your facts are completely awry. Title aside "Brighton Rock" has absolutely nothing to do with the novel. Brian May did not write "Was it all worth it" nor Roger Taylor "Rain Must Fall" (beware of attributing group written songs to individuals unless you are very very sure of your facts). And Tim Staffell did not 'recommend' Freddie Bulsara as his replacement.

My advice is if you don't know, don't pretend, as people who do know who will be put off. Plus you're potentially contributing to spreading misinformation.

Apart from that, I enjoyed reading your album reviews a great deal. :)
 
Pingu
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 464
Images: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Flash Gordon OST is probably in my top 5 Queen albums.

IMO, The Works and The Miracle are the weakest of the lot [I don't include MIH, as it's a compilation - a very bad one]
 
Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Wild/Wind » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

A DAY AT THE RACES is one of the best. 70s albums. This along with Queen 2 and Innendo is my top 3
Flash is a very underrated album, it is very pioneer with great ideas.
Made in Heaven is very solid and in my opinion has very beautiful flow while hearing it.
 
Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 9:43 am
Location: Here There and Everywhere
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Graham » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Pingu wrote:Title aside "Brighton Rock" has absolutely nothing to do with the novel. Brian May did not write "Was it all worth it" nor Roger Taylor "Rain Must Fall" (beware of attributing group written songs to individuals unless you are very very sure of your facts). And Tim Staffell did not 'recommend' Freddie Bulsara as his replacement.


Hi, thank you for picking these up! I've corrected them all - I think I based those writer credits on an article that was around ten years ago - it's not surprising that 'Rain Must Fall' is a Deacon song, but 'Was It All Worth It' totally sounds like a May song to me.
 
Graham
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Graham » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Capt. Den Ronson wrote:Flash Gordon OST is probably in my top 5 Queen albums.

IMO, The Works and The Miracle are the weakest of the lot [I don't include MIH, as it's a compilation - a very bad one]


I think I like The Miracle more than most people; the first two songs are shaky, but otherwise it's pretty solid to my ears.
 
Graham
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Graham wrote:
Capt. Den Ronson wrote:Flash Gordon OST is probably in my top 5 Queen albums.

IMO, The Works and The Miracle are the weakest of the lot [I don't include MIH, as it's a compilation - a very bad one]


I think I like The Miracle more than most people; the first two songs are shaky, but otherwise it's pretty solid to my ears.


http://www.queenonline.com/en/the-band/ ... /shove-it/


Tennant: Do you mind if we talk about Queen for a moment?

Roger Meddows Taylor: No, not at all.

Tennant: Have you started on a new album yet?

Roger Meddows Taylor: Yeah, we spent the whole of January in the studio and have been recording the first parts of the new album. So far there's twenty two songs and it'll be the best album that Queen have done in ten years, easily.

Tennant: What sort of style?

Roger Meddows Taylor: It's more back to the old style. I mean it's almost like echoes of Led Zeppelin and everything in there. It's great and it's all live in the studio, which is great. It gives it more spark and energy I think. No machines!

Tennant: Any synths on it?

Roger Meddows Taylor: No, not yet no. So far we haven't time to do over dubs anyway, so there's little synthesizer on it actually. It's basically bass, guitar and drums with some piano.

Tennant: When are people going to see that in the shops then?

Roger Meddows Taylor: Not before the end of the year, later on in the year definitely.

:lol:
 
Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Graham » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 pm

From The Miracle, I think that 'The Miracle' and 'I Want It All' in particular do a good job of adding a 1989 sheen to the pomp of their 1970's work. They hadn't really done that much otherwise in the 1980s - 'Who Wants To Live Forever' is terrific, but doesn't feel like their other work since it's less of a rock band arrangement, and 'It's A Hard Life' is probably the other best example from the decade. Innuendo obviously bought back the big sounding Queen even better, but the seeds are already there on The Miracle.
 
Graham
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Pingu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Graham wrote:
Pingu wrote:Title aside "Brighton Rock" has absolutely nothing to do with the novel. Brian May did not write "Was it all worth it" nor Roger Taylor "Rain Must Fall" (beware of attributing group written songs to individuals unless you are very very sure of your facts). And Tim Staffell did not 'recommend' Freddie Bulsara as his replacement.


Hi, thank you for picking these up! I've corrected them all - I think I based those writer credits on an article that was around ten years ago - it's not surprising that 'Rain Must Fall' is a Deacon song, but 'Was It All Worth It' totally sounds like a May song to me.


No worries, sorry my post looks a bit snarky in retrospect but was not meant to be.

Was it all worth it has never really been attributed by the band to one chief writer, unlike some songs such as Invisible Man and Breakthru as you mention (although Breakthru's accapella intro is by Freddie). People have discussed this song here and decided it's probably mostly Freddie's, based on chord sequences and whatnot, but if there's no direct evidence I think it's best never to assume.

Not for me to tell you your business or anything. It's just there's a lot of misinformation about Queen out there (as you've seen in the article you mention), and worse (imo), opinions purporting to be facts.

But hey, this is a Queen site and I suppose I'm hyper sensitive to details.
Last edited by Pingu on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Pingu
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 464
Images: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Graham » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:48 pm

No problem - your post wasn't very snarky, and I'd rather have a correct site.
 
Graham
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby action » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:04 pm

.
Last edited by action on Sun May 07, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
.
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

.

      
 
Posts: 2357
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 196 times

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:48 pm

action wrote:
Capt. Den Ronson wrote:Flash Gordon OST is probably in my top 5 Queen albums.

IMO, The Works and The Miracle are the weakest of the lot [I don't include MIH, as it's a compilation - a very bad one]


i find it rather... shortcoMING


I wish they'd release a version without the dialogue and movie stuff.
 
Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby sebastian » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:31 pm

Pingu wrote:Was it all worth it has never really been attributed by the band to one chief writer


Yes it has: http://brianmay.com/brian/magsandpress/gtrstoct94/gtrstoct94.html
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:48 am

sebastian wrote:
Pingu wrote:Was it all worth it has never really been attributed by the band to one chief writer


Yes it has: http://brianmay.com/brian/magsandpress/gtrstoct94/gtrstoct94.html


Would you say 61% Frederick, 39% Brains?
 
Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Album Review Blog - Queen

Postby sebastian » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Certainly not out of the question, but it could also be 55-31-8-4, 70-25-1-4, etc.

Now, to revert back to the speculations, it's important to be aware there's a difference between research and guesswork. It is also important to realise - and I cannot emphasise this enough, either - that so-called direct evidence can also be flawed, even more so than what can be concluded scientifically.

The term 'speculation' has been demonised to the point that it is assumed to mean 'not having the slightest idea and trying out one of the many possibilities,' which is partly true, but then again, most of the progress made in science and technology started off as mere hypotheses, which were subsequently tested, tweaked, discarded, confirmed, etc.

Witness testimonies can be, and often are, simply wrong. Reasons? Well, plenty: people can lie, memories can fail, false memories can be created, humans can be confused or mistaken. It's been well-documented that Brian has sometimes referred to songs as being on the wrong albums, or produced by the wrong people, or having the wrong guest musician... for him it was merely a day (or night) in the office.

For WIAWI there are at least three independent witness testimonies pointing at Frederick as the chief author: one from Brian (1994), two from David Richards (2001 and 2002). The probably that both of them were lying, misremembering or part of some sort of conspiracy to hide the true author, while existing, is minimal. But even if there weren't any available quotes, there is still a lot to suspect it is a Mercury song.

There have been probably about eighty songs written by Fred which we have access to, counting what he wrote or co-wrote for Queen, his solo career, his duet album, plus the many outtakes which have seen the light since his death, including some rejects which were eventually rescued for part of 'Made in Heaven.' There are about seventy songs by Roger (adding up Queen, solo, Cross and other projects here and there), twenty or so by John and about a hundred by Brian (Queen, solo, Anita, Kerry, OST).

Claiming a song has to be Fred's because it has a C minor chord would be absurd... but so would assuming it has to be Bri's because it is heavy and/or guitar-led. WIAWI has enough details in its functional harmony, its structure, its melodic content and even its musical quotes (it covers the 'Two Legs' ostinato motif) that we can see fingerprints. Fingerprints that, when compared to the 20-odd Deacon songs, the 70-odd Taylor songs or the 100-odd May songs, have very little (if anything) in common with those. Coincidentally, they do have a lot of subtle details in common with songs by Fred.

So, of course, it is important to be sceptic, but also to realise sometimes there is enough evidence to be able to reach a conclusion. The ultimate truth is possibly ultimately unattainable, even for songs which do have individual authorship credits, but it is certainly not a fifty-fifty scenario and not a matter of 'oh, if so and so said so, then it must be so.'

Compare the following two statements:

- John Deacon played bass on 'We Are the Champions.'
- John Deacon played bass on 'We Are the Champions' on the 23rd July 1977, wearing a red t-shirt and green trousers. He did his take at 2.43 p.m. and then drank some Old Grey's and ate two biscuits; he started off with a third but never finished it.

Both are speculations, neither can be proved (since none of us were there, and even people who were there could have misremembered or forgotten), but it is absolutely safe to assume the former and not the latter.

WIAWI being primarily a Mercury composition is far closer to the former case than the latter, and it is not out of a silly reason such as 'oh, intro is reversed outro same as "Ogre Battle" so they must both be by the same author,' but out of careful and meticulous research... which, of course, could still be wrong, but that should not be a reason not to even try.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Next

Return to Killer Queen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests