Hot Space

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Hot Space

Postby TheHero » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:55 am

Hot Space, an album where they are really experimenting with new sounds.
Staying Power even features a hot horn section.
They really tried going in new directions, which I think makes this album more
interesting. No matter what you think about it, some songs would
fit perfect in the disco/night clubs, for instance Back Chat.

One thing has to be said; the production is brilliant!
The smoothness and crystal clear sound, the groovy bass lines and funky
guitars are phenomenal. The simplicity and yet many interesting sounds and fill-ins
makes this album a true piece of art. This is overlooked by many Queen fans, as
they tend to compare it to other Queen albums. In a bigger perspective this album
is pretty cool.

phpBB [video]

Did you know?
- This is the only Queen song featuring german lyrics.
Just listen from 3:25

Guten Morgen, Sie wünschten geweckt zu werden.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Hot Space

Postby TheHero » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:40 am

Cool Cat.

I can't stop thinking that this song inspired Michael Jackson
to make a phenomenal solo career, and become the World's most popular
artist in the 80s. I think this song is brilliant. Still many Queen fans hate this song for some reason..
It again shows that Queen were ahead of their time in 1982.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:47 am

I don't know this, but I can imagine that when The Works came out, and Queen fans put on
the record and listened to the intro of Radio Ga Ga, they must have thought it would be an album
very similar to Hot Space, which it isn't at all.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm

TheHero wrote:Hot Space, an album where they are really experimenting with new sounds.

Not really. Rather than trying something new, they tried capitalising on something they'd already done ('Another One Bites the Dust'). 'The Game' and all of their seventies albums were far, far, far more original.

TheHero wrote:Staying Power even features a hot horn section.

Yeah, but even Fred was disappointed with it. It proves that you can have a top-notch composer (Fred), a top-notch producer (Mack) and a top-notch arranger (Arif), and it still doesn't guarantee top-notch results.

TheHero wrote:They really tried going in new directions

Not really, since they'd already gone in that direction with 'Dust' and some other songs in the past ('Fun It', even 'Dragon Attack' or 'Coming Soon' to some extent). You know which albums really had them going in new directions? All of their seventies ones!

Queen: It was their first so everything was new.
II: First with stylised baroque; first with a bona fide piano ballad; first with a frenetic unclassifiable piece such as 'Master-Stroke.'
SHA: First with vaudeville; first with a lullaby; first with an epic guitar solo using delay; first with operatic influences.
ANatO: First with bona fide pop; first with skiffle ('Some Day, One Day' and others were folk, not skiffle); first with a classical-influenced ballad (with classical piano solo and all); first with George Formby-esque track; first with a vocal canon, rather than just echoes as on 'Now I'm Here.'
ADatR: First with waltz; first with gospel; first with some lyrics in Japanese.
NotW: First with a Caribbean-influenced track; first with jazz harmony; first with an anthemic sing-along mantra; first with punk; first with guitar tapping; first with guitar harmoniser effects; first with whatever GDML is...
Jazz: First with Middle-Eastern influences; first with funk; first with multi-tracked blues arrangements.
The Game: First with synthesisers, first with loops, first with R&B-influenced stuff, first with rockabilly.

So all of those albums were far, far, far more original, ground-breaking and 'going in new directions' than 'Hot Space,' not to mention better written, better arranged, better performed.

TheHero wrote:some songs would fit perfect in the disco/night clubs, for instance Back Chat.

As would 'Another One Bites the Dust' which, surprise surprise! Precedes 'Hot Space.' In other words: it had been done.

TheHero wrote:The smoothness and crystal clear sound, the groovy bass lines...

Most of which are synth-generated. I'd rather have a muddier sound coming from a real bass, especially when you've got such a great and underrated bassist as John.

TheHero wrote: This is the only Queen song featuring german lyrics.

Not really, since that's a spoken part rather than a sung part. Lyrics tend to refer to what's being sung.

TheHero wrote:Cool Cat... I can't stop thinking that this song inspired Michael Jackson to make a phenomenal solo career

By the time 'Cool Cat' was released (21st of May 1982), Michael Jackson already had a phenomenal solo career (five studio albums, the last of which had outsold 'A Night at the Opera' four to one, and 'News' and 'The Game' three to one, more or less) and 'Thriller' sessions were already underway; by then, all of the songs on the album had already been written, demo'd and their direction had been established. There was no influence from 'Cool Cat' whatosever.

TheHero wrote:It again shows that Queen were ahead of their time in 1982.

So ahead that they were doing stuff they themselves had done a couple of years earlier and other artists (Chic, the Knack) had been doing since the late 70's.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Jimi » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:11 pm

all great points well made.
As for production 'Hot Space' is a very 'bright' album. Not a sound I would call superb but rather thin and shrill.
I was one of those people that heard Radio Ga Ga very early on and was surprised considering all the noises being made were that it was going to be an album closer to the Queen 'sound' than HS. Thankfully it was if sadly just not very good.

As summed up rather well by my favourite review quote of The Works in realtion to the HS debacle was something along the lines of
.... ' The bank balance doesn't need a boost but the ego probably demands it'

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Wild/Wind » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Mack did a great production. Technicaly was super. Queen were not so inspired

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Wild/Wind wrote:Mack did a great production. Technicaly was super. Queen were not so inspired

Absolutely! The production is flawless!

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:21 am

I like Hot Space. I can certainly recognize its flaws. I mean, it wasn't a good direction for the band. I feel like the band were trying to play it safe, capitalizing on the success of Another One Bites the Dust. As Sebastian said, the band were very experimental in the 70s, never being afraid to do something different. And that's what we love about the band. Their openness to all sorts of different styles. When somebody asks me why I'm so in love with the band, that's the biggest reason I give them.

All that said, there are some pretty cool tracks on Hot Space. But of course they're from the B side, the not so funky side. Las Palabras De Amor is my favorite Queen ballad. I begged my fiancee' to let us use it for the big day, but she opted for You're My Best Friend. Lol Also, I've got a super soft spot for Life is Real. I love the Beatles sound, and the message resonates with me. And of course Cool Cat, though funky, sounds nothing like the first half of the album. I love Freddie's falsetto and that "pulling the moon in" vibe, if you know what I mean. It's such a chill track. Love it.

But the first half of the album. Yeesh. I can take it in small doses, and I do find myself enjoying it time to time. But yeah, it's not that great. I had a friend of mine who recently bought a Hot Space LP. It was his first time listening to the album. He was so excited! But then he came back and said he couldn't make it through the first half. It just wasn't Queen to him. I told him to turn it over.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:50 am

My memories of Hot Space....I was on study leave for my CSE's and O levels ( remember them folks in the UK ?) it was hot and i broke my studies to pick a copy of the L.P. up from my local store on day of release which was always the norm for any Queen related release in those days. I already had my ticket for Milton Keynes Bowl and was really excited to give the album a spin as soon as i got home. First thoughts before even hearing the album was i liked the album artwork and cover design simple but pleasing in my opinion.
First track Staying Power shook me a little with the horn section and whilst i agree with Sebastian's comments i enjoyed this section ( but liked the heavier guitar based live version better ) the first side needed about 3 or 4 plays before i was ready to flip over to side 2.

In conclusion i have always enjoyed the album as a whole and have a soft spot for it ( probably because i was in such a good place in my life at the time ) i understand people who do not enjoy it and it is not one of my favorite albums... that is reserved for Queen 2, however i have been a fan of the band since the release of Jazz and still feel the album stands up well when you consider their entire album collection and often give it a listen on sunny days.

An album that always throws up much debate but still enjoyable none the less.
As a side note the Milton Keynes gig remains one of my favorites by any band ever and ranks in my top 3 Queen shows that i saw even with the Hot Space tracks included

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Yeah, totally.

A man who's 7 ft tall is not the tallest man in the world (probably not even top 1,000), but that doesn't make him a dwarf. 'Hot Space' is perhaps not even in the band's top ten, but it doesn't make it a bad record, at all.

I'm absolutely fine with these kinds of reasons for liking it or defending it:

- 'I like it just because.'
- 'I like it because it's catchy.'
- 'I like it because I associate it with good times.'

But I do object to these kinds of reasons:

- 'It was their riskiest, most daring record' (no, it wasn't).
- 'It inspired "Thriller"' (no, it didn't).
- 'They tried something completely different' (no, they didn't).
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Jimi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:28 pm

hotspace1966 wrote:My memories of Hot Space....I was on study leave for my CSE's and O levels ( remember them folks in the UK ?) it was hot and i broke my studies to pick a copy of the L.P. up from my local store on day of release which was always the norm for any Queen related release in those days. I already had my ticket for Milton Keynes Bowl and was really excited to give the album a spin as soon as i got home. First thoughts before even hearing the album was i liked the album artwork and cover design simple but pleasing in my opinion.
First track Staying Power shook me a little with the horn section and whilst i agree with Sebastian's comments i enjoyed this section ( but liked the heavier guitar based live version better ) the first side needed about 3 or 4 plays before i was ready to flip over to side 2.

In conclusion i have always enjoyed the album as a whole and have a soft spot for it ( probably because i was in such a good place in my life at the time ) i understand people who do not enjoy it and it is not one of my favorite albums... that is reserved for Queen 2, however i have been a fan of the band since the release of Jazz and still feel the album stands up well when you consider their entire album collection and often give it a listen on sunny days.

An album that always throws up much debate but still enjoyable none the less.
As a side note the Milton Keynes gig remains one of my favorites by any band ever and ranks in my top 3 Queen shows that i saw even with the Hot Space tracks included

I, like you , bought it on the day of release and had my ticket for Elland Road Leeds. I wasn't so happy with the cover although I did like the interior sleeve and still have that t shirt from the gig somewhere. I never really minded S Power, Dancer and Back Chat but couldn't get on with the hideous BL.
My problem had always been whenever I listen to it, and that's quite recently on the Studio Collection, is that it falls away quite badly on side 2. Its just not strong enough. Life is Real , Calling all Girls and even Put out the Fire are just mediocre.Its also a difficult listen at high volume as its very sharp at the top end.
Shame really.
Interstingly I would rate Elland Road in my top 3 concerts of all time.
The magic tour is NOT in the top 2 !

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:02 pm

I remember being gutted at not going to Elland Road, sadly my Queen friends at the time would not travel and finances were limited, spoken to people who went to a lot of shows that tour all of which said Elland Road was the best. I have a tape of the show somewhere that was always in my car i played it to all passengers every trip for years probably banging on about how good Queen live were...lol
I also have very fond memories of Knebworth 86 being a fantastic show, which i think the band played a stormer, far better than the Paris show i had attended earlier.
Getting back to Hotspace whilst i like the album i do tend to phase out when Body language comes on which has the dubious award as my least favorite Queen track ever and don't have a problem with side 2 but see where your coming from

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 pm

I have to disagree with some of you here. I think this album is where Queen are really taking chances, trying out new things.. bringing in the horn section, together with synth/funk/dance tracks. Freddie even sings an entire song in falsetto (Cool Cat) :shock: In addition they totally forget their big production albums that they have done earlier:

With this album they dare to go simple: For instance Body Language (bass and drums) and Cool Cat (guitar/drums/bass).

AND THIS IS THE POINT WITH THE WHOLE CONCEPT HOT SPACE!!

There are SPACES; without any sounds... AND that is why they called it HOT SPACE, because they were practicing and some of them pointed out how hot the SPACES/breaks were, the little moments without ANY sound; the pauses if you like. So they went that direction and called the album Hot Space!

In contradiction to what they did earlier, with overproduced and multilayered harmonies and guitars, this is the quite opposite direction. And it is nothing like The Game, this is a concept album, from beginning to end, and people just did not get it!

After Hot Space, they went back to the same old Queen style... Hot Space was an album different from every other album, and where they took a chance.

Today, in 2017, people still do not get the idea with this album, no wonder they went back to the same old style. :roll:

The most misinterpret album in the Queen discography, yes it is Hot Space.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:35 am

TheHero wrote:I think this album is where Queen are really taking chances, trying out new things.. bringing in the horn section

They brought a horn section for some brief periods of *one* song. That's nothing spectacular. By contrast:

- Queen II: First with gong; first with harpsichord; first with castanets; first with tubular bells; first with stylophone. They took far more chances on this one.

- Sheer Heart Attack: First with triangle; first with timpani; first with a fairground intro; first with double-bass; first with ukelele-banjo; first with police sirens. They took far more chances on this one.

- A Night at the Opera: The exhaust from an Alfa Romeo; a koto; a harp; a baritone ukelele (as opposed to ukelele-banjo); two bicycle bells; thimbles on a desk; a twelve-string electric guitar; an e-piano. Far riskier and far more groundbreaking than HS.

- A Day at the Races: Woodblocks; slide guitar; harmonium; guest vocals by their senior engineer (as opposed to their producer as on the eponymous debut). Riskier and more groundbreaking than HS.

- News of the World: Maracas, guitar harmoniser, footstomps and handclaps; drums played with brushes; guitar tapping... way riskier and way more groundbreaking than HS.

- Jazz: Jingle bells; a thunderbolt... well, that one didn't have a lot of new stuff in terms of instrumentation, but at least they were playing everything themselves. Far riskier and far more groundbreaking than HS.

- The Game: Synths, of course! Far riskier and far more groundbreaking than HS.

TheHero wrote:together with synth/funk/dance tracks.

So? They'd already done synth/funk/dance tracks in the past, only that, in the past, they were able to do it way better, way more cleverly and alternating with other styles.

TheHero wrote:Freddie even sings an entire song in falsetto (Cool Cat) :shock:

So? On 'Long Away', Brian even plays twelve-string electric guitar for an entire song :shock: And he also plays harmonium for an entire song :shock: And slide guitar for an entire song :shock: And just like that, 'Races' is (at the very least) three times as 'ballsy' as 'Hot Space,' only far better written, far better played. Same for I, II, SHA, ANatO, Jazz and The Game... and perhaps even 'Flash Gordon.'

TheHero wrote:In addition they totally forget their big production albums that they have done earlier... With this album they dare to go simple: For instance Body Language (bass and drums) and Cool Cat (guitar/drums/bass).

Most of 'You Take My Breath Away' is only piano; so is most of 'Love of My Life'; 'We Will Rock You' is only footstomps and handclaps and then a few seconds of guitar; over half of 'All Dead, All Dead' is only piano; a lot of 'Dragon Attack' only has drums, or bass and drums, or guitar, bass and drums. The minimalist thing had happened earlier, and they'd done it way better. There was nothing new about HS.

TheHero wrote:There are SPACES; without any sounds...

'The Game' had loads of spaces as well, so did 'Jazz' and 'News' (which, at the time, had some sort of 'back to basics' aesthetic). They'd already done that earlier, and they'd done it way better. Even their most over-arranged period also had spaces and minimalist parts, cleverly and strategically placed.

TheHero wrote:In contradiction to what they did earlier, with overproduced and multilayered harmonies and guitars, this is the quite opposite direction.

How many multi-layered guitars are on We Will Rock You? Drowse? Jealousy? Dear Friends? Another One Bites the Dust? My Melancholy Blues? Seaside Rendezvous? They'd already done stuff without overproduction and they'd done it much, much, much better.

Moreover, HS does have some multi-layered harmonies both on vocals ('Life Is Real') and guitars ('Dancer').

TheHero wrote:And it is nothing like The Game

Of course not: The Game is way better! Moreover, The Game has all of the HS elements, only better, and it's also got other elements, which HS lacks.

TheHero wrote:this is a concept album, from beginning to end

That's not even remotely true.

TheHero wrote:Hot Space was an album different from every other album

HS took a few elements they'd already used. There was nothing remarkably original about it, let alone comparing it to everything else they'd done earlier on.

TheHero wrote:where they took a chance.

They took far more chances with 'Queen', 'Queen II', 'Sheer Heart Attack', 'A Night at the Opera', 'A Day at the Races', 'News of the World', 'Jazz' and 'The Game' (and perhaps even 'Flash Gordon' - the orchestra is a billion times more interesting than those horns), and they did it way better.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:41 am

Last edited by action on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to Killer Queen