Hot Space

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Hot Space

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Does any other Queen album or song include an arranged horn section?

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Does any other Queen album stick out like a goddam sore thumb?

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Does AOBTD use a drum machine or synth bass?

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:55 pm

Does Hot Space side one use any live drum loops?

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Could any of the preceding be thought of as a new approach for Queen?
Last edited by Pingu on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Could a combination of the preceding be thought to represent Queen taking a bit of a risk?

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Or are generations of critics and fans completely mistaken, and does the triangle on "Killer Queen" represent the single riskiest, most unusual departure from their normal approach the group ever attempted in their twenty year career?

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby action » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Last edited by action on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Pingu wrote:Are there any drum machines on The Game?
Is there any Synth bass on The Game?
Is an entire side of The Game dedicated to funk/soul style music?

The same points could be made about any album: is there any e-piano on 'Sheer Heart Attack'? Are there any synths on 'Jazz'? Is there any gong on 'Queen'? Are there any timpani on 'Queen II'? Is there a song on 'Races' where the backing track is entirely made of handclaps and footstomps?

And that's what I mean: what HS did is not any more special than anything they'd done earlier on.

Pingu wrote:Does any other Queen album or song include an arranged horn section?

Does any other Queen album or song include a backing track entirely made of footstomps and handclaps? Does any other Queen album or song include a wandering minstrel guitar by Steve Howe? Does any other Queen album or song include a Wurlitzer EP-200? Does any other Queen album or song include a ukelele? Does any other Queen album or song include a ukelele-banjo?

Again... you can do it with loads of things, which confirms HS is not that special.

Pingu wrote:Is an entire side of any Queen album arranged with programmed drums?

Is an entire side of any Queen album made up exclusively of Mercury compositions? Is an entire side of any Queen album arranged differently?

Having five songs on the same vein has far less merit than having five songs which are actually different.

Pingu wrote:Does AOBTD use a drum machine or synth bass?

Does 'Bohemian Rhapsody' feature a gospel choir? Does 'Keep Yourself Alive' feature any keyboards? Does 'Killer Queen' feature an operatic interlude?

Again, you can do that with loads of things, it only shows HS is not that special.

Pingu wrote:Is an entire side of any Queen album dedicated to a musical style they had previously only dabbled in?

The fact they'd already dabbled in it at all is the core of what I'm saying: they were capitalising on something they'd already done, rather than actually trying something new.

Pingu wrote:Does any other Queen album stick out like a goddam sore thumb?

That doesn't mean it's any more original than the others. It could simply mean it's less original, which it is.

Pingu wrote:Does Hot Space side one use any live drum loops?

It might!

Pingu wrote:Could any of the preceding be thought of a new approach for Queen?

Sure, but then again, everything they did would also be a new approach. You said it yourself: they'd already dabbled in that... it was, therefore, not that new of an approach.

Pingu wrote:Could a combination of the preceding be thought to represent Queen taking a bit of a risk?

Not nearly as much a risk as anything preceding it - which, again, is my point: they were playing it safe, going for what had already worked, either going with what had worked for others (drum-machines, synth bass, horns, saxophones) or with what had worked for them (less emphasis on multi-tracked harmonies, steady tempo, minimalist arrangement, great vocals - all of which they'd done).

Pingu wrote:Or are generations of critics and fans completely mistaken

Wouldn't be the first or last time that happens.

Pingu wrote:... does the triangle on "Killer Queen" represent the single riskiest, most unusual departure from their normal approach the group ever attempted in their twenty year career?

It doesn't, and that's my point: claiming it was would be just as ridiculous as claiming the horns on HS were.

action wrote:hey hey heeeeey!

you caught me out :P

See? You can actually be mature rather than whiney. Well done.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Last edited by action on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Pingu wrote:Or are generations of critics and fans completely mistaken, and does the triangle on "Killer Queen" represent the single riskiest, most unusual departure from their normal approach the group ever attempted in their twenty year career?

I would add that this is an important part of Seb and my argument! Sometimes the wrong rhetoric or urban legend of sorts reinforces itself over the years. This is one of those. If I never heard Hot Space before, going on what I've heard I would think it was a full on disco album, a genre the band never tried and it was influenced mainly by John who was always more into r n b styles and brisn must have hated it being the one mostly into metal and hard rock

A. Oh wait what's this second side?

B. Wait another one bites the dust is similar.

C. OH! Brian defended it and John hated it. Hmm

---

Just because generations believed that Kenny Everett played Bo rap 14 times or that the band never played fairy fellers live doesnt mean it's accurate,

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Action This Day » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:14 pm

Pingu wrote:Is an entire side of The Game dedicated to funk/soul style music?

For me, this was the biggest mistake they made with Hot Space. People might have given the record more of a chance if all the 'dance/funk' songs had been placed throughout the record rather than forming the entirety of Side A. I'll always wonder how many casual fans got as far as Body Language and said 'nah!' and took the record off without even bothering to listen to Action This Day or Side B. And therefore wrote the whole record off as being crap.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby sebastian » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:13 pm

Action This Day wrote:I'll always wonder how many casual fans got as far as Body Language and said 'nah!' and took the record off...

I think you're being quite generous. A lot wouldn't have made it that far. Many of them were probably already familiar with 'Body Language' as it'd been the lead single. They might have played the album and heard the first four bars or so of 'Staying Power' before giving up.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 am

^ Speaking of Staying Power...

phpBB [video]

Gary and Nuno from Extreme at Lucky Strike the other night. They also did Bo Rhap with a 14 person choir, and TYMD. Reportedly Brian was there as well but was a bit under the weather to perform TYMD as initially planned.

The brass is a bit off at times but still interesting to hear it get a live airing

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:03 am

soxtalon wrote:^ Speaking of Staying Power...

phpBB [video]

Gary and Nuno from Extreme at Lucky Strike the other night. They also did Bo Rhap with a 14 person choir, and TYMD. Reportedly Brian was there as well but was a bit under the weather to perform TYMD as initially planned.

The brass is a bit off at times but still interesting to hear it get a live airing

Bloody heck! :wow: Would have loved to have seen it! I'm going to peel my eyes for the rest of the show. But I am really enjoying SP right there.
How Brian is feeling better. Thanks for posting this :D
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy