Hot Space

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Hot Space

Postby sebastian » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:22 am

I'd read about it and had been looking for a YT video, without success. Thanks so much for sharing it.

I think stuff like that cover, and Queen's own live version, confirm it's actually quite a good song (not on Frederick's top 50, but still good). It's the record that is disappointing to say the least, and it's not because of the production (since it's really well produced), but because of the instrumentation.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Dave Mack » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:35 pm

I just think it's funny when Roger and Brian knock it but Roger started the whole thing going with "Fun It!" on jazz which would fit right in on Hot Space, Brian's playing seems very inspired on that too. And Brian wrote "Dancer" which is in the same boat and he said in a magazine interview at the time that Hot Space was an attempt to do funk properly, (which it really isn't)
Years later after the backlash they just roll Freddie and John under the bus.

Dave Mack
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:55 am

I like the album, I like it a lot but I can totally understand why some people don't because it must've been very jarring at the time to hear the band come out with a sound that you wouldn't expect.

That and the tracklisting is partly to blame, 3 dance tracks in a row early on was bout to alienate people.

But I think it's one of those albums that was simply ahead of it's time and now people can appreciate it for what it is, a decent dance record......with shit like Cool Cat tacked on the end.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:36 pm

How exactly was it ahead of its time?
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:58 pm

I never understood Freddie's belief that had Hot Space been released in the mid-80s it'd have been more successful. I think it'd always be a mediocre album, for the mere fact that the band weren't really a unit at the time, and the instrumentation leaves much to be desired. Funk/Disco was definitely within their grasp. Another One Bites The Dust is a prime example. But with that track there was still emphasis on John's playing, with some tight percussion (though not to Roger's delight). It had an authentic and timeless sound. It could have been released today. But with Hot Space Freddie just had to insist on even more synthesizers. If I were in Freddie's shoes, of course I'd want to defend the album. But I think deep down he knew it sucked. It pales in comparison to the Thriller album, which I think is more or less the sound they were going for. But man did they miss the mark.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:58 pm

It does make sense, though, that if they'd released it a couple of years later, it would've probably sold more. Not as much as 'Thriller', 'Dark Side' or even 'A Night at the Opera' (which sold much, much, much less than 'Thriller' or 'Dark Side'), but more than it did IRL.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Yeah, it probably could have sold more. But would it be any less of a stain on their career? I'm not too sure about that. They needed a different approach, I think. And as most of us agree, had they recorded those songs the way they performed them live, it probably have been a different story, even in 1982.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:30 pm

sebastian wrote:How exactly was it ahead of its time?

how exactly was it not ahead of its time?
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:44 pm

I didn't mean in terms of the sound as such which is probably what you thought I meant, but in terms for finding more of an audience and not being so jarring to hear today as it would've been back then, that's all.

At the time, it seems that it didn't have a truly appreciative audience yet. I'm not saying the album's regarded as a classic no, but I dunno, perhaps it's not too much of a stretch to say that it's reputation and appeal has been aided by time.

But, you know best.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:19 pm

action wrote:

how exactly was it not ahead of its time?

All of its elements had come up earlier on.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Hot Space is just like Mr. Bad Guy for me - some great songs spoiled by the way they're played. The live versions prove that most of the songs were actually pretty good, I just dislike the way they're recorded and produced on the album.

"Back Chat" is the best example. Can't stand the studio version, but the live take from Queen on Fire is genuinely among my favourite Queen tracks.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:00 am

sebastian wrote:
All of its elements had come up earlier on.

name one element of beatles music that didn't come up earlier on. or the music by the rolling stones.

yet, two of the most innovative bands ever, and very much ahead of its time.

take the beatles, sgt pepper for example. full of elements that had come up earlier on, there was no instrument on that album that hadn't been around for decades / centuries. yet it was the way all of this was combined and used, to create something ahead of its time.

"pet sounds" was created with pots and pans so to speak. but again, so ahead of it's time you can argue it's even ahead of its time, to this day.

the fanbase was "not ready" for hot space, and in that aspect it was ahead of its time. it also came a couple of months AHEAD of thriller, etc.. there are plenty of ways to look at it, but the conclusion is always that the album was ahead of its time.
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:03 am

Sgt Pepper and Pet Sounds were extraordinary records, indeed groundbreaking. Hot Space was a lacklustre attempt to capitalise on something Queen (and others) had already done. Not even remotely the same case.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:23 am

sebastian wrote:Sgt Pepper and Pet Sounds were extraordinary records, indeed groundbreaking. Hot Space was a lacklustre attempt to capitalise on something Queen (and others) had already done. Not even remotely the same case.

I didn't say groundbreaking or even that it was good; I said it was ahead of its time.

it can be a shit record and still be ahead of its time, for the reason I already mentioned

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:08 pm

It wasn't a shit record, but it wasn't ahead of its time either. It was an attempt to capitalise on something they'd already done earlier on. It was behind its time.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen