A Day At The Races - my least favourite Queen album

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: A Day At The Races - my least favourite Queen album

Postby Felli » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:01 pm

ADATR is inferior to ANATO in every way. Queen peaked with Opera and tried and failed to replicate it with ADATR... I used to really enjoy ADATR but hardly ever listen to it now. I think it is a boring album and has not aged well unlike most other albums.

Felli
Spread Your Wings

Postby Broooklyn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 am

You're nuts!

Fin!
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

QOL'er in Black

Postby Mother Mercury » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:11 pm

These things can be soooo over-analysed, but I do think the songwriting on ADATR is absolutely top notch. Certainly no worse than ANATO or SHA. I can understand if some may think the actual production is a bit too slick and smooth, but they had found their sound and who can blame them for squeezing every drop out out of the studio's possibilities, before the left turn that came a little later down the line.
And 'The Millionaire Waltz' is just utter genius! :-)

Mother Mercury
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:26 am

Mother Mercury wrote:These things can be soooo over-analysed, but I do think the songwriting on ADATR is absolutely top notch. Certainly no worse than ANATO or SHA. I can understand if some may think the actual production is a bit too slick and smooth, but they had found their sound and who can blame them for squeezing every drop out out of the studio's possibilities, before the left turn that came a little later down the line.
And 'The Millionaire Waltz' is just utter genius! :-)

I love this album; it's Queen fully confident (although they had never really lacked confidence!) after the success of ANATO and they just go for it hell for leather. And Millionaire Waltz is simply wonderful: it's as if the success of Bo Rhap had given Freddie free rein to be as free and mad as he liked...never fails to make me smile every time I hear it.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 am

Felli wrote:ADATR is inferior to ANATO in every way. Queen peaked with Opera and tried and failed to replicate it with ADATR... I used to really enjoy ADATR but hardly ever listen to it now. I think it is a boring album and has not aged well unlike most other albums.

I could not disagree more. How anyone can call ADATR 'boring' is beyond me. Similar feel to ANATO? Obviously. But boring? Never.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Action This Day » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:36 pm

I've always felt ADATR was the pinnacle of Queen's overblown sound and slick production - everything before it was leading up to it. After ADATR they probably felt they had to change tact. NOTW and beyond seem much more stripped down.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Action This Day wrote:I've always felt ADATR was the pinnacle of Queen's overblown sound and slick production - everything before it was leading up to it. After ADATR they probably felt they had to change tact. NOTW and beyond seem much more stripped down.

I agree. I think they realised they had gone as far as they could with ADATR and needed a change of tack - NOTW is the polar opposite yet still a very stong album; they made the right call, in my opinon.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Previous

Return to Killer Queen