A Day At The Races - my least favourite Queen album

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: A Day At The Races - my least favourite Queen album

Postby Lover Boy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:47 am

I hear what you guys are saying. I value eclectic musicians. And Queen are about as eclectic as you can get!

I recently started getting into the KISS discography...and while they're a solid rock band their style evolved very little. Just when they started to get really interesting (The Elders album) they went back to their hard rock roots, and from everything I've heard never went back to experiment. And then you guys mentioned AC/DC...similar thing...very good band but not much else than hard rock/blues.

With Queen I'm able to switch back and forth between hard rock and rockabilly, gospel and psuedo opera, latin and jazz, heavy metal and vaudeville. It's just brilliant!

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Lover Boy wrote:I hear what you guys are saying. I value eclectic musicians. And Queen are about as eclectic as you can get!

I recently started getting into the KISS discography...and while they're a solid rock band their style evolved very little. Just when they started to get really interesting (The Elders album) they went back to their hard rock roots, and from everything I've heard never went back to experiment. And then you guys mentioned AC/DC...similar thing...very good band but not much else than hard rock/blues.

With Queen I'm able to switch back and forth between hard rock and rockabilly, gospel and psuedo opera, latin and jazz, heavy metal and vaudeville. It's just brilliant!

Yep, we Queen fans are definitely spoilt for choice. Their eclecticism meant that there was always something new to discover when they released an album - one could never second guess them at all. I think only The Beatles come close to them in this respect (and that would only be the latter part of their career).

I also think their eclecticism is part of the reason they have endured as long as they have. Of course, their sheer talent - and THAT voice - helped; but their absolute musical freedom and their refusal to be defined by any genre means that there are so many types of songs to appeal to so many different types of people. This music will never die.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:55 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:I mean, they are a good old, spit and sawdust, rock 'n' roll band, but just too samey (I feel the same about The Rolling Stones too - although, I am very fond of much of their earlier output).

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on a minute there. The Stones "too samey"?? Nuh uh. Just off the top of my head, they had songs that were blues, country, psychedelic, ballads, straight-up rock, probably a few other genres I'm forgetting....

Edit: Disco, too.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:22 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:I mean, they are a good old, spit and sawdust, rock 'n' roll band, but just too samey (I feel the same about The Rolling Stones too - although, I am very fond of much of their earlier output).

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on a minute there. The Stones "too samey"?? Nuh uh. Just off the top of my head, they had songs that were blues, country, psychedelic, ballads, straight-up rock, probably a few other genres I'm forgetting....

Edit: Disco, too.

Hmmm...OK, I'll concede here: they did use different genres in some of their music, you are quite correct. I should have stated that I meant they are too samey in the sense that - even though they used other musical influences - they were always comfortably The Stones and never went out on a limb too much. Like I said, I love their earlier output.

But I am definitely sticking by my assessment of ACDC.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 pm

A Day At the Races was a bit of a sleeper hit, for me. It's a very middling-paced, calm album. It only has one or two rockers, really.

However, I find myself finding it to be my go-to Queen album quite a lot of the time. It's well crafted, honest and simple in many ways. It's a great record to relax with and feel-good.

I think if I'm honest with myself, it may just be in my Top 3 just based on the time I've spent listening to the record. I would take it over it's predecessor, to be even more frank.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Killer Queen