The first albums

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

The first albums

Postby TheHero » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Some people say that Queen's first albums are their best. This was when they were involved with the
Trident management.

Queen complained that Trident did not give them the money they deserved, and Freddie wrote the song "Death On Two Legs" (dedicated to their manager at the time).

In 1977, Trident settled down with Queen, and sold all their rights to their albums.

Their manager, Norman Sheffield, who died in 2014, released his side of the story in form of a book in 2013:

‘Life On Two Legs: Set The Record Straight’
(Forewords by Paul McCartney)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Two-Legs- ... 0957513305

You can read his story with Queen in this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/a ... -band.html

Years later, after his death, I went to the Freddie Mercury Memorial Concert at Wembley, where I saw the three remaining members being photographed. John Deacon pointed at me and said: ‘And if it hadn’t been for that man we wouldn’t be here.’ Brian and Roger looked at me and nodded. That gesture went a long way towards exorcising the ghosts of the past.

Did Queen get more creative from 1976 and onwards into the 80s, when they finally broke free from their first management, or were their first albums their best ?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: The first albums

Postby TheHero » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 am

The title of their first album was simply Queen.

Another suggestion had been Dearie Me, Freddie’s catchphrase, which was quite funny but the band were a hard enough sell as it was.

They spent ages arguing about the album sleeve. The front cover was a single image of Freddie on stage, with two spotlights in the background.

For the back cover the boys put together a collage of snaps of themselves.
Freddie had driven everyone to distraction fretting over whether he looked ‘gorgeous enough’ in them.

By the end of the year they were on the road with Mott the Hoople, but Queen were getting more encores and bigger cheers than the headliners.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/a ... z4oarZCUIF

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Queen II

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:29 pm

phpBB [video]

In 1975 they went to Japan and found 3,000 fans waiting for them, all chanting the band’s name. It was like Beatlemania. Freddie had finally found the acclaim he’d craved all his life. He felt like a god. Unfortunately, he soon started behaving like one, too.

The more successful they became, the more agitated Queen had grown about money. One of the most heated rows came when John got married. In the run-up to the wedding he announced he wanted me to spring £10,000 (about £90,000 in 2013 values) for him to buy a house. I didn’t react too well.

Then Freddie demanded a grand piano. When I turned him down, he banged his fist on my desk. ‘I have to get a grand piano,’ he said.

I wasn’t being mean. We knew there was a huge amount of money due to come flooding our way from Queen’s success. I explained that some of it was already coming in but the vast majority of it hadn’t arrived yet.

‘But we’re stars. We’re selling millions of records,’ Freddie said.
‘And I’m still living in the same flat I’ve been in for the past three years.’

The amount of money we’d invested in the band was huge.
We’d advanced them equipment and salaries right at the beginning and had continued to pour money into them for four years. The fact the band owed Trident close to £200,000 (£1.75 million today) didn’t seem to register with Freddie.

I can remember the conversation.
‘The money will come in December,’ I said. ‘So wait.’
Then came a phrase he would make famous around the world in years to come, although no one would have known where it was born. Freddie stamped his feet and raised his voice: ‘No, I am not prepared to wait any longer. I want it all. I want it now.’

By late 1975 I was hearing that they were making all sorts of derogatory comments about Trident.
Then I heard a track from A Night At The Opera called Death On Two Legs. The opening two lines summed up what was to come.

‘You suck my blood like a leech/you break the law and you breach’, then, ‘Do you feel like suicide?’ it went on, ‘I think that you should’. It was some kind of nasty hate mail from Freddie to me.

phpBB [video]

Soon Bohemian Rhapsody roared to the top of the UK charts and stayed there for nine weeks. A bittersweet moment, it came as news was beginning to leak that we had split from Queen.

We should have talked more. And I should have been more attentive to their feelings. By the time I realised things were badly wrong, it was too late.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/a ... z4obDEFM80

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Killer Queen