Why does everyone seem to hate "Tear It Up"?

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Why does everyone seem to hate "Tear It Up"?

Postby BrandonSquared » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Most agree that The Works is a patchy album but it seems like whenever most fans talk about it (on here and other forums) many point out how much they dislike this track and that it feels like more like filler than anything else. When I read these things it almost dampens my personal enjoyment of a song. I really like the track, it's catchy as hell, has great energy and rhythm and Freddie and the guys capture this explosive kind of heat. I've heard people call it clunky or plain stupid, but how are these kinds of lyrics different than say Fat Bottomed Girls, which most love? Yeah, that's a better song but I don't get the major criticisms of TIU in comparison. Both are fast, naughty rockers where the guys let loose.

Do you dislike the song, if so why? Are there any fans of it on here?

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Re: Why does everyone seem to hate "Tear It Up"?

Postby Guru » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Why does everyone seem to assume that a statistically small sample constitutes "everyone"?

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby sebastian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:20 pm

Brian wrote some magnificent tracks. This is not one of them.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Action This Day » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:32 am

Surprisingly for a rocker it didn't sound great on stage. The Wembley version in particular sounds a bit clunky, notwithstanding Deaky's bass going out of tune. I was surprised they kept it in the setlist for the Magic tour.

It's one of the few Queen songs where I much prefer the studio version to the live version. Studio version is very enjoyable, I love it when the tambourine kicks in during the second verse.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby soxtalon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:51 am

^ I would agree. I did not like it live very much. The studio version is fine to listen to..but I think my problem with it is it seems to be Brian trying to re-write We Will Rock You to a degree... so it just seems like a bit of a retread. It happens a few times on The Works where it seems the band are actively trying to recreate past glories.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:51 am

Last edited by action on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:55 am

Last edited by action on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:21 am

action wrote:there is this curious segment of the Queen fanbase that doesn't like Queen to be anything but serious. to them, Queen has to be sophisticated and musically correct. god forbid a track like "action this day", "delilah" or "tear it up". it's almost as if they deny their existence, calling it songs that "should have never happened".

these snobs, basically want to piss on a picasso. trying to alter an artist's work.

listen, here's the deal: if you don't like these tracks, you're happy to fuck off but let us who do like them, enjoy them.

We are not lesser fans for liking the more playfull and silly songs.

ADATR sucks ass btw. too little fun and too much ballet.

listen, here's the deal: if you don't like these tracks this album, you're happy to fuck off but let us who do like them it, enjoy them it.

But seriously...not really man. Not trying to alter anything. Just don't enjoy as much as you do. Glad you like it...I don't mind the track - I just don't ever look to put it on. When The Works comes on, I enjoy it enough and don't skip it...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby hotspace1966 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:24 am

I remember liking 'Tear it Up' played live for the first time in 84 and thought coming out of Machines and into TYMD worked well for an opening as i recall and therefore not too disappointed it was left in for 86.
Always had a soft spot for it and also The Works album as a whole. Yes Brian wrote better songs without a doubt but i think it deserves it's place on the album.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby BluePowderMonkey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Its a damn sight better than Machines (BTH)

BluePowderMonkey
Spread Your Wings

Postby hotspace1966 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Lol....i like machines as well :lol:

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby Wild/Wind » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:07 pm

The Works in the 80s was the one of the best selling albums. Public was very familiar with its songs, so tear it up was a standar in Queen live set list.
As a song very similar with Joan Jett's I Love rock n roll, who was also support to Queen in 1982
I like Its solo and Freddie singing but I prefer Machines is more "epic".

I wish the works album had 3 or 4 songs more, like Love Kills, I go crazy, there must be more to life and killing time or man on Fire. It could have been a classic.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby slightlymad1970 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 pm

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I actually prefer Tear It Up to Hammer To Fall and always thought it would have performed better as the fourth single off The Works.

The Works was my first proper Queen era, first Album I bought on the day of release, first Queen Tour I attended (First ever concert actually) so I have a real soft spot for it, always will :-D

I vividly remember seeing Queen performing it on television at the Montreux Festival and Freddie absolutely tearing it up (pardon the pun) and so presumed it would be the fourth single as they performed all the singles of The Works that day!

phpBB [video]

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby Echoplex » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Freddie absolutely tearing it up! I could have torn it up equally well if I mimed to an album track!

The best thing about this was Deacy's weird jig!!

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby YAFF » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:12 pm

action wrote:there is this curious segment of the Queen fanbase that doesn't like Queen to be anything but serious. to them, Queen has to be sophisticated and musically correct. god forbid a track like "action this day", "delilah" or "tear it up". it's almost as if they deny their existence, calling it songs that "should have never happened".

these snobs, basically want to piss on a picasso. trying to alter an artist's work.

listen, here's the deal: if you don't like these tracks, you're happy to fuck off but let us who do like them, enjoy them.

We are not lesser fans for liking the more playfull and silly songs.

ADATR sucks ass btw. too little fun and too much ballet.

Agree with "Tear It Up" but vehemently disagree about your continued ADATR whining. Perhaps you like harder rock because it's simple and understandable by your reptile brain and you aren't sophisticated enough for anything beyond loud guitar, drum and vocals, After all you love G N' R and they suck more ass than a billion colonics.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to Killer Queen