Why does everyone seem to hate "Tear It Up"?

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Why does everyone seem to hate "Tear It Up"?

Postby Kes » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:11 pm

It's not a BAD track, just not quite possibly up to the standard of some ideas that we've since found were turned down for the album.

A perspective enhancer is that this is the album that followed Hot Space, and it's got to be better than a couple of the tracks that pitched up on THAT. Hasn't it?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sebastian » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:19 pm

I personally prefer 'Hot Space' over 'The Works', by far.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby sbrown » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:49 pm

I really like Tear It Up. Moves along nicely, strong structure, and a good classic Queen rock sound.
Not sure why the hatred. One of the better songs on an album I'm still coming to terms with, more than 25 years after I first heard it.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby Action This Day » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:11 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:I'm sure I'm in the minority but I actually prefer Tear It Up to Hammer To Fall and always thought it would have performed better as the fourth single off The Works.

The Works was my first proper Queen era, first Album I bought on the day of release, first Queen Tour I attended (First ever concert actually) so I have a real soft spot for it, always will :-D

I vividly remember seeing Queen performing it on television at the Montreux Festival and Freddie absolutely tearing it up (pardon the pun) and so presumed it would be the fourth single as they performed all the singles of The Works that day!

phpBB [video]

Interesting that they performed Tear It Up instead of Hammer To Fall. Oddly they performed HTF at Montreux in 1986 even though they had a new album out.

Of course, the planned fourth single from The Works was originally neither TIU nor HTF. I guess any of the tracks on The Works could have been an A-side with the possible exception of ITTWWC.
Last edited by Action This Day on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Action This Day » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:12 pm

BluePowderMonkey wrote:Its a damn sight better than Machines (BTH)

Machines is probably my 3rd favourite song off the album after IAHL & IWTBF. It's so underrated.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Action This Day » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Kes wrote:It's not a BAD track, just not quite possibly up to the standard of some ideas that we've since found were turned down for the album.

A perspective enhancer is that this is the album that followed Hot Space, and it's got to be better than a couple of the tracks that pitched up on THAT. Hasn't it?

Yes I think the reason why The Works contains songs which may seem to be a rehash of earlier glories was because it was the album that followed Hot Space, i.e. they wanted to go back to what they did well before. IMO this also explains why so many old songs returned to the setlist for the Works tour.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby sbrown » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Action This Day wrote:Yes I think the reason why The Works contains songs which may seem to be a rehash of earlier glories was because it was the album that followed Hot Space, i.e. they wanted to go back to what they did well before. IMO this also explains why so many old songs returned to the setlist for the Works tour.

Actually, I think it is exactly the opposite. They embraced 80's production on the lead single - drum loops, vocoder, Jupiter keyboard/arpeggiators, and moved from the radio style of the 70s (The Who, The Stones, Boston etc) and more toward the radio style of the new wave. I think the production of Radio Ga-Ga and I Want To Break Free lined them up with 80s bands and kept them relevant. If they'd led with HTF or IAHL, I think they'd have had another Hot Space problem.

Having said that, I agree with you about the live show, and I think this was the tour they had one song from every album.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby Action This Day » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 pm

sbrown wrote:Actually, I think it is exactly the opposite. They embraced 80's production on the lead single - drum loops, vocoder, Jupiter keyboard/arpeggiators, and moved from the radio style of the 70s (The Who, The Stones, Boston etc) and more toward the radio style of the new wave. I think the production of Radio Ga-Ga and I Want To Break Free lined them up with 80s bands and kept them relevant. If they'd led with HTF or IAHL, I think they'd have had another Hot Space problem.

Not sure what you mean, the opposite of what? :P I was talking about the other tracks on side A which many feel are a rehash of earlier stuff, Tear It Up, It's A Hard Life and Man On The Prowl.

sbrown wrote:Having said that, I agree with you about the live show, and I think this was the tour they had one song from every album.

Every album except Jazz which was practically forgotten about by the band after 1982.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Action This Day wrote:
Of course, the planned fourth single from The Works was originally neither TIU nor HTF. I guess any of the tracks on The Works could have been an A-side with the possible exception of ITTWWC.

I think HTF was the fourth planned single, as that then gave each of the band an A side. However, the way I remember it, a fifth single was then planned, Man On The Prowl/Keep Passing The Open Windows, and they got as far as pressing it, in Ireland, before they went back to the idea, and went ahead and released those two tracks with "the" Christmas song taking the A side.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:23 pm

sebastian wrote:I personally prefer 'Hot Space' over 'The Works', by far.

Totally agree. Overall, I prefer Hot Space to The Works too.

But back in the day, I think the comparitive lack of commercial success of Hot Space, might have led the band to a different conclusion. I think they all got a bit used to obscene amounts of money coming in, and probably wanted it to get a bit more obscene.

Maybe the fact that every track that's on The Works, plus two that weren't, got released on 7", seems to go a long way to prove that thought.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Action This Day » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Kes wrote:
Action This Day wrote:

I think HTF was the fourth planned single, as that then gave each of the band an A side. However, the way I remember it, a fifth single was then planned, Man On The Prowl/Keep Passing The Open Windows, and they got as far as pressing it, in Ireland, before they went back to the idea, and went ahead and released those two tracks with "the" Christmas song taking the A side.

Yes you're correct. My bad :oops: MOTP 7" singles were pressed with the catalogue number QUEEN 5.

It would be 1989 before Queen would release five singles from one album. One of their weaker albums too.

Part of me will always wonder how MOTP would have done as an A-side. I doubt it would have fared any worse than TGIC, they could have had another hit in the style of CLTCL.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Echoplex » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 pm

You can't argue with the success of both the singles and the album it's self, but I'm not a huge fan of The Works. I believe, as Sebastian has said, Hot Space is better. On that album they were still pushing boundaries and producing music that was still new, for them. Yes we'd had ABTD but Hot Space took thing further down that path, and beyond.

The Works re trod old ground and in most cases not as well as the older songs, the style of which they were trying to relive.

Brian Roger and John at different points claimed the album was a return to their older style/roots but it wasn't really. The best song on the album was probably RGG, it was catchy and didn't re trace or repeat anything that had gone before.

The o ly 80's album that came close to a return to classic Queen was Inuendo.

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Innuendo was released in 1991. Doesn't really qualify it as an eighties album, sorry! :-(
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Action This Day » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Echoplex wrote:Brian Roger and John at different points claimed the album was a return to their older style/roots

They said that about The Miracle too.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Grizzly Adam » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:45 am

It's the lyrics, many of them make me cringe. I am embarrassed for the writer.

Grizzly Adam
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen