WOW, Flash Gordon was huge in the UK

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

WOW, Flash Gordon was huge in the UK

Postby slightlymad1970 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:56 pm

I recently stumbled across a movie website showing historic movie box offices. Showing my age here but I was 10 when Flash Gordon was released so I've no real memory of when it was released and how well it did (I hadn't discovered Queen at this point!). Naturally I looked up Flash Gordon and 1980 and was pleasantly surprised how well it had done at the UK box office.

As a Queen fan I was always lead to believe it hadn't faired to well and basically it had bombed. It might well have done that in America but it was in fact huge here in the UK. 1980 year end shows it finished 2nd behind The Empire Strikes Back in the biggest grossing films of the year eventually taking £8,437,501, almost £4,000,000 ahead of the 3rd place film The Elephant Man.

Does that surprise anybody else? It spent 6 weeks at No1 and 15 weeks inside the top 3 taking in £14,193,548.

I'm now surprised the Queen soundtrack didn't fair better in the charts!

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Re: WOW, Flash Gordon was huge in the UK

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:25 am

slightlymad1970 wrote:Does that surprise anybody else? It spent 6 weeks at No1 and 15 weeks inside the top 3 taking in £14,193,548.

It's constantly on TV so I'd assumed it must be very popular, but second for the year behind Empire does quite surprise me. Guess us Brits just love it's cheesy naffness!

slightlymad1970 wrote:I'm now surprised the Queen soundtrack didn't fair better in the charts!

The Gordon soundtrack has never been one that works outside the film for me. I just don't find it an enjoyable listening experience on its own.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Cool Cat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Quite surprised to see it was 2nd best at the box office :shock: but not surprised the album didn't fair too well, apart from the lead song it wouldn't have appealed to non Queen fans, although i think there are a couple of gems on the soundtrack, Football Fight and Battle Theme are enjoyable i think.
I'm Just a Musical Prostitute, my Dear.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Burn On Dakota » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:22 am

Off topic, but i had no clue Elephant Man was that big of a hit!

Burn On Dakota
Spread Your Wings

Postby m.j.godley » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:26 pm

I have always wondered why Brian sings them couple of lines towards the end of Flash ("No one but the pure at heart, etc").

Feels really jarring given that it is difficult to understand what he is singing and Freddie was doing a fine job singing the other 95% of the song.

m.j.godley
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 pm

To mix it up a bit?

I always find it odd when people complain that Freddie didn't sing absolutely everything the band ever did. I really like it when Brian or Roger take over for a change.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby m.j.godley » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:46 pm

Yeah I agree, and I too enjoy it when Brian or Rog take lead vocals or sing a chorus, etc. But just a odd line at the end of a song and then pretty badly at that. Mmmmmmm?

m.j.godley
Spread Your Wings

Postby Burn On Dakota » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:55 am

m.j.godley wrote:Yeah I agree, and I too enjoy it when Brian or Rog take lead vocals or sing a chorus, etc. But just a odd line at the end of a song and then pretty badly at that. Mmmmmmm?

They did that a lot though.

KYSA
SAWSS
WWTLF
IWIA
ML (but that kinda was due to necessity)

Burn On Dakota
Spread Your Wings

Postby m.j.godley » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:29 am

Exempting I want it all, at least it was a full verse or chorus sang on the other songs, I am a fan of shared vocals. Just on flash that last couple of lines at the end? Anyway I'll get over it.

m.j.godley
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:10 am

"Keep Yourself Alive" is just one line. "Sail Away Sweet Sister" is just a couple.

The only ones on that list where vocals change for entire verses are "Who Wants to Live Forever" and "Mother Love".

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Killer Queen