Barry Mitchell - Queen's 2nd bass player

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Barry Mitchell - Queen's 2nd bass player

Postby TheHero » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:34 am

Interesting interview:

Barry Mitchell talks with Jim Jenkins at the 30th Queen Convention
phpBB [video]
Last edited by TheHero on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Barry Mitchell - Queen's first bass player

Postby TheHero » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 am

In the interview, Barry was asked if he played in any other bands except from Queen ?

He answered yes, in a band called The Earth, with Alan Parsons. They recorded an album, 9 tracks, in 24 hours. The album was long lost, and never released, but a couple of years ago, Alan Parson found it.

Here is that album, recorded in 1968, with Queen's 2nd bass player:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

(What strikes me is that Smile also had a song called Earth, and their style was very similar).
Last edited by TheHero on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:11 am

Read more about The Earth here:

http://www.ianharris.me.uk/the-earth.php

The back sleeve of that album reminds me of the Innuendo artwork, juggler of the worlds.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:34 am

Queen and Barry Mitchell
https://brianmay.com/queen/queennews/qu ... 16.html#43
In 1970 - A friend of Barry Mitchell gave him phone number of Roger Taylor, whose band were looking for a bass player. Barry went for an audition at Imperial College, London.

The first Queen song Barry played with them, was Doing All Right, and he could play several songs on their first album, and did a few gigs with Queen, before he decided to leave, though the band wanted him to stay.

The newly discovered album by The Earth is also the first recorded material by the then unknown, now legendary guitarist, writer and producer, Alan Parsons.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:57 am

phpBB [video]

Many similarities there in style and sound, progressive, the use of hammond organ etc.
This was recorded in 1969.

The Earth, with bass player Barry Mitchell, recorded their album in 1968, before they disbanded,
Barry joined Queen in 1970.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:56 am

Some of the bass lines on the first Queen album, were most probably borrowed from Barry Mitchell, as he did some of the songs with Queen before John joined the band. For instance Doing All Right.

Barry performed with Queen at The Cavern and The Marquee, and some other places, including a church ruin.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Barry Mitchell did in total 12 concerts with Queen.
Their very first bass player was Mike Grose, but he did only 3 gigs before leaving.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby nicksmithworld » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Very interesting thread, thanks! :-D
‘...and I find myself thinkin', well, what would you do?’

nicksmithworld
The Show Must Go On

Postby inu-liger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:36 am

I've met Barry, had the fortune to spend an afternoon with him during my UK stay last year. He is incredibly nice, very generous with his time, and aside from the nice stories he'd shared and the Queen-related sightseeing we did around central London, what I also really appreciated about him was finding that we both shared a very similar sense of humour :)

inu-liger
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:47 pm

TheHero wrote:Some of the bass lines on the first Queen album, were most probably borrowed from Barry Mitchell, as he did some of the songs with Queen before John joined the band. For instance Doing All Right.

He did clear up a few years ago that, for that particular song, during his time in the band they just did the Smile version of it. He admitted any development took place after his departure. That would presumably include changing the intro and verses from guitar- to piano-based and having a bass-line not too dissimilar from Led Zeppelin's 'What Is & What Should Never Be.' Whether John arranged it himself or played whatever Brian instructed him to is open to speculation, guesswork and debate, but it was definitely not Barry.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby TheHero » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:26 pm

You hear Barry Mitchell say from 24:46 in the interview above; that he bought the first Queen album and then says:

"...and I recognized bass lines that I used to play, you know, so.. whether they came from me or not, I don't know... but yeah, I was quite proud of hearing that first album, I thought wow, you know, I did all those songs."

The 30th Convention took place in November 2015, so basically he said this only 2 years ago. And this is information directly from the source, so I choose to trust him on that.

Barry Mitchell resurfaced in a trio called Crushed Butler.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crushed_Butler

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:39 pm

inu-liger wrote:I've met Barry, had the fortune to spend an afternoon with him during my UK stay last year. He is incredibly nice, very generous with his time, and aside from the nice stories he'd shared and the Queen-related sightseeing we did around central London, what I also really appreciated about him was finding that we both shared a very similar sense of humour :)

Cool story. :cool:

I met Albie Donnelly once, back in the late 90s, and we had a chat about how it was going on tour with Queen. He was touring with them on their 1976 tour, in their support band at the time, which included doing warm up/opening set for them at the legendary Hyde Park Festival. He told me he remembered them as a very friendly bunch of guys. I ripped loose a piece of paper, and he gave me his autograph, which I still have kept for all these years. :lol:

That said, it seems like Albie Donnelly's Supercharge might just have been the kind of band Barry was looking for at the time playing with Queen in 1970, as he liked to play blues, and would like to join a band having saxophones in it, but eventually never did, and joined a punk band instead.

Supercharge achieved a reputation as one of the UK's best live bands at the time.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:35 pm

TheHero wrote:The 30th Convention took place in November 2015, so basically he said this only 2 years ago. And this is information directly from the source, so I choose to trust him on that.

The other information also comes directly from the source (i.e. him) and is from much earlier (i.e. the events were far more recent than they are now).

You can choose to believe New Zealand has won the past five world cups by beating every team 22 - 0, that won't make it true.

Edit: By the way, he was not Queen's first bass player.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Re: Barry Mitchell - Queen's 2nd bass player

Postby TheHero » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 pm

sebastian wrote:
TheHero wrote:Edit: By the way, he was not Queen's first bass player.

I know, and I pointed that out earlier in this thread. ;) Now, thread title also changed.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Barry Mitchell - Queen's 2nd bass player

Postby sebastian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Well done.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to Killer Queen