Another One Rides The Bus

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Another One Rides The Bus

Postby Sir Didymus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:37 pm

I finally received my "Weird Al" Yankovic Squeeze Box this week, and spotted something I'd never noticed before - his very early 1981 parody, Another One Rides the Bus, only credits John Deacon as the songwriter, not Al for writing the new lyrics.

Digging around, I discovered that Yankovic transferred copyright to Deacon in February 1981, just before the song was released as a single.

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebre ... 0118&SID=1

Now, given Yankovic has had a proven track record of always seeking permission before releasing his parodies ever since his debut album, I'm curious if this practise stemmed from his experience with the Queen camp.

I wonder if Queen threatened legal action following the debut of the song on the radio the previous September... or if the writing credit was the only way they'd grant permission to use the track, in much the same way Dire Straits lawyers ensured that the intended title of 1989 track Beverley Hillbillies officially became Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies*, event though Mark Knopfler himself played on the recording.

Does anyone know any more about this one?
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Re: Another One Rides The Bus

Postby Kes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Why not have a go at asking the man who really knows, yourself?

https://m.facebook.com/weirdal/
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Sir Didymus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:18 pm

Well, I was wondering if it was a story Queen fans were aware of, tbh... one of those weird kinks like them getting to be first or last on compilations for a long time.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Guru » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:02 am

AL's business practices will have evolved over time, and from memory AORTB was on his first album, so maybe it was only album 2 that he started asking first?

How were the credits treated on the rest of the first album?

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Kes » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:36 pm

The ONLY version of it that I've ever come across, was the one recorded live off the Dr Demento show, so I'd go out on a limb, and say he probably did that long before he even had a record contract.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:32 am

phpBB [video]

I prefer this version. Does anyone remember ?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:25 am

The whole of that Dance Traxx album is interesting, err, if you like Euro-pop.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Guru wrote:AL's business practices will have evolved over time, and from memory AORTB was on his first album, so maybe it was only album 2 that he started asking first?

How were the credits treated on the rest of the first album?

Well, originally, the parody songs (approx half of all his albums) were credited as is his standard practice - he is credited for new lyrics, and the original songwriter(s) is/are credited for the actual track.

AOBTD was an exception case, in that only John Deacon was credited. However, the new booklet for the Squeeze Box finally credits Al as well... so presumably whatever deal was made has been tweaked.

Kes wrote:The ONLY version of it that I've ever come across, was the one recorded live off the Dr Demento show, so I'd go out on a limb, and say he probably did that long before he even had a record contract.

Yes, that could be the reason, I guess... to my knowledge that's the "studio" only version too (except for a live tv appearance after the copyright transfer that's very similar, and of course, various recorded gigs since).
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Return to Killer Queen