Rain Must Fall

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Rain Must Fall

Postby icy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 am

Leigh Burne wrote:
Broooklyn wrote:Bingo! I have always said that, for me, 'The Miracle' is quite a fun and uptempo album; and thus, has remained in my Top 5 from them, for a very long time.

musicalprostitute wrote:Yeah, I second that. After some lacklustre albums in the mid 80s, The Miracle just seemed to brim with life and joy and a little madness; they sounded rejuvenated and more alive (ironic, considering Freddie's situation) then they had done in years.

icy wrote:I'm going to agree with you guys on this. It's a powerful album all things considered. It suits every human emotion from love, anger, longing, passion...it's all there. I think many of the lyrics hold up today, even if the production is dated. But that's fine by me, l sure love Queen and 80s music. :mrgreen:

Dafuq is going on here?

I swear I've mentioned several times on here how I really rate The Miracle and don't agree with the lacklustre reception it normally gets, and no one agreed with me.

Now here's a thread where everyone loves it :lol:

When did you bring it up? Genuinely curious because until recently I haven't been posting much, if I missed it, sorry. But no joke, I love the the album. I'd put it I my top five or six Q albums, that's how much I love it. It does get a bad rap by some which isn't deserved. Rain Must Fall isn't just one of my favorite Quee songs, it's one of my favorites from the 80s. :biggrin:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:38 pm

sebastian wrote:As for who wrote it: John and Frederick.

As for Brian's comment on his Soapbox: He was talking about the music and the fact the song resembled something else, so he said 'very much a Deacon area.' That didn't exclude the possibility of Frederick (or anybody else) contributing (to) the lyrics.

As for the percussion, here's what Roger told the BBC back in May '89: 'that's sort of a bit of a mixture, a mishmash really. There's sort of quite machine like in some ways, but with sort of African overtones. There's a lot of sort of percussion on top that I did on top of that one, so there's all sorts of things happening, but they made me take most of it out of course, to make room for the guitars and the vocals.'

Spot on info as usual, Seb. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:39 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
Broooklyn wrote:Bingo! I have always said that, for me, 'The Miracle' is quite a fun and uptempo album; and thus, has remained in my Top 5 from them, for a very long time.

musicalprostitute wrote:Yeah, I second that. After some lacklustre albums in the mid 80s, The Miracle just seemed to brim with life and joy and a little madness; they sounded rejuvenated and more alive (ironic, considering Freddie's situation) then they had done in years.

icy wrote:I'm going to agree with you guys on this. It's a powerful album all things considered. It suits every human emotion from love, anger, longing, passion...it's all there. I think many of the lyrics hold up today, even if the production is dated. But that's fine by me, l sure love Queen and 80s music. :mrgreen:

Dafuq is going on here?

I swear I've mentioned several times on here how I really rate The Miracle and don't agree with the lacklustre reception it normally gets, and no one agreed with me.

Now here's a thread where everyone loves it :lol:

We just wanted to fuck with your head :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:36 pm

icy wrote:When did you bring it up? Genuinely curious because until recently I haven't been posting much, if I missed it, sorry. But no joke, I love the the album. I'd put it I my top five or six Q albums, that's how much I love it. It does get a bad rap by some which isn't deserved.

I can't remember specifically, but I know it's something I've mentioned once or twice. The general response was that I was wrong :D

It's always seemed to me like a lot of people rank The Miracle among the band's weakest efforts, but once you get past the admittedly disappointing opening medly it's got a bunch of really superb songs on it. The title track, "I Want It All", "Breakthru", "Scandal", "Was It All Worth It"... These are some of my very favourite Queen songs, and they're all on this one album. And on top of that you've got a bunch of great B-sides to boot.

Hell, I'll even admit to really liking "Khashoggi's Ship", it's just a piss poor choice for the start of the album.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:57 pm

I've actually often felt that Party and Khashoggi's Ship were two of the best tracks on the album. I loved the way they fit together, and some of the riffing was superb, especially on the latter track. For me, those tracks are just pure fun. That said, I've also often felt that while I enjoy tracks like Breakthru and I Want It All, songs like Rain Must Fall and My Baby Does Me let the album down tremendously. Those tracks feel like filler to me. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed them though.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Lover Boy wrote:I've actually often felt that Party and Khashoggi's Ship were two of the best tracks on the album. I loved the way they fit together, and some of the riffing was superb, especially on the latter track. For me, those tracks are just pure fun. That said, I've also often felt that while I enjoy tracks like Breakthru and I Want It All, songs like Rain Must Fall and My Baby Does Me let the album down tremendously. Those tracks feel like filler to me. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed them though.

Yes, I have to agree with your assessment of My Baby Does Me - always thought the song utter shite (Queen at their worst and most uninspired). I was never a big fan of Rain Must Fall, but it has grown on me a little over the years - and I love Brian's little solo (probably the best thing about the song).

I always thought Scandal was a great track - very catchy; but I do find Freddie's voice a bit grating on it (too high and 'screamy' in places for me).

My favourites are definitely IWIA and WIAWI (that is one mad Queen track!). :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Action This Day » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:20 pm

I've loved the Miracle since I got it on release day in 1989. Party is good but Khashoggi's Ship is one of my favourite late era Queen songs. Personally I find the Miracle a better album than Innuendo.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Previous

Return to Killer Queen