Rain Must Fall

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Rain Must Fall

Postby Hernán » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:57 pm

I remember some people claiming or suggesting the song was about this athlete: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Griffith_Joyner

No idea myself. Nothing against the track, but it is far from my favourite ones...

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby Tenement Funster » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:54 am

Probably because Frdddie shouts Flo-Jo (her nickname) before the guitar solo.

Tenement Funster
Spread Your Wings

Postby Baba » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:26 am

Always loved the song!

Baba
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:52 am

Tenement Funster wrote:Probably because Frdddie shouts Flo-Jo (her nickname) before the guitar solo.

Are you sure it is 'flo-jo'? I have often tried to work out what Freddie says before that great little solo from Brian. It definitely sounds like flo jo.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Simon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:14 am

Ahh! Interesting... MIGHT indeed explain the "Flow Joe" (or something)
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tenement Funster » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:20 am

That's what I always thought he said but I have no evidence for it.

It seemed clear to me but then I remember how famous she was so it may be that I just hear it that way.

Tenement Funster
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:02 pm

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 pm

Tenement Funster wrote:That's what I always thought he said but I have no evidence for it.

It seemed clear to me but then I remember how famous she was so it may be that I just hear it that way.

Well, it certainly sounds like he is saying those words - but then this is Freddie, so fuck knows! :P

This has started to bug me now. I shall have to go and listen to RMF later and see if I can decipher it for sure. Queen themselves are clearly not sure what he says either, as it is not included on the official lyric video. But, Flo Jo the athlete (who sadly died at 38) had broken a world record at the 1988 Summer Olmpics: this would certainly fit the timeline with regards to Queen recording The Miracle - it kind of makes sense.

Oh, and it seems I was wrong: this was a collaboration (as another poster has rightly stated) between Freddie and John (John on the musical side of things and Freddie on the lyrics).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:38 pm

The Miracle is an album that, for me, is hampered by the production. Much like Bowie's mid-late 80s work, it has an over-reliance on synthetic sounds that just don't hold up to the same scrutiny as their earlier works.

If Roger hadn't become so reliant on programmed drum tracks, or synth-drums for that matter, they might sound better. I know that the existence of the Rock Band stems has allowed me to strip some of the Miracle/Innuendo era tracks of their keyboard parts, and they almost always sound much better that way - yes, even The Show Must Go On!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Simon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:The Miracle is an album that, for me, is hampered by the production. Much like Bowie's mid-late 80s work, it has an over-reliance on synthetic sounds that just don't hold up to the same scrutiny as their earlier works.

If Roger hadn't become so reliant on programmed drum tracks, or synth-drums for that matter, they might sound better. I know that the existence of the Rock Band stems has allowed me to strip some of the Miracle/Innuendo era tracks of their keyboard parts, and they almost always sound much better that way - yes, even The Show Must Go On!

Oh yes... Years ago, I saw a documentary (Youtube probably) on the keyboard(s) Queen used and they played some sounds. It was almost scary to realize that you can immediately pinpoint to specific songs with just a fraction of a sound the synth made. That made me aware of how much they deviated from the "no synths" conviction to almost the complete opposite.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 am

How much of Rain Must Fall is drum machine, anyway? Quite a bit sounds fake to me, and it wouldn't surprise me. Or is a lot of it just synth drums?

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby sebastian » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 am

As for who wrote it: John and Frederick.

As for Brian's comment on his Soapbox: He was talking about the music and the fact the song resembled something else, so he said 'very much a Deacon area.' That didn't exclude the possibility of Frederick (or anybody else) contributing (to) the lyrics.

As for the percussion, here's what Roger told the BBC back in May '89: 'that's sort of a bit of a mixture, a mishmash really. There's sort of quite machine like in some ways, but with sort of African overtones. There's a lot of sort of percussion on top that I did on top of that one, so there's all sorts of things happening, but they made me take most of it out of course, to make room for the guitars and the vocals.'
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Baba » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:12 am

Couldn't it be 'Flow John'?

Baba
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 am

Broooklyn wrote:Bingo! I have always said that, for me, 'The Miracle' is quite a fun and uptempo album; and thus, has remained in my Top 5 from them, for a very long time.

musicalprostitute wrote:Yeah, I second that. After some lacklustre albums in the mid 80s, The Miracle just seemed to brim with life and joy and a little madness; they sounded rejuvenated and more alive (ironic, considering Freddie's situation) then they had done in years.

icy wrote:I'm going to agree with you guys on this. It's a powerful album all things considered. It suits every human emotion from love, anger, longing, passion...it's all there. I think many of the lyrics hold up today, even if the production is dated. But that's fine by me, l sure love Queen and 80s music. :mrgreen:

Dafuq is going on here?

I swear I've mentioned several times on here how I really rate The Miracle and don't agree with the lacklustre reception it normally gets, and no one agreed with me.

Now here's a thread where everyone loves it :lol:
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Simon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 am

:lol: (Guilty pleasure album I reckon)

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen