Body Language!

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Body Language!

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:30 am

To one degree or another, after the success of Another One Bites the Dust, the concept of Hot Space was obviously a very good idea, Thriller by Michael Jackson and Let's Dance by Bowie prove it was! But Hot Space is clearly inferior to those albums. Queen simply did a shit job at doing what Jackson and Bowie were about to copy them at. Coupled with the glaring fact that Americans hated Freddie's homosexual vibes, it was a huge commercial mistake, badly conceived and more badly executed.

I read a Bowie biography that discusses how Bowie's megabucks contract with EMI to release Let's Dance came about because Freddie encouraged him to approach their reps at EMI during the recording of Under Pressure etc, because Bowie was bitching about his current record label situation.

If you want to hear how Hot Space should've been produced, compare Bowie's production of Iggy Pop's China Girl in 1977, with Nile Rogers' production of China Girl in 1983. The '83 production sounds like what a smash hit dance/pop/rock song should sound like. Likewise with Quincy Jones producing Thriller. They're both strong, "disciplined" albums, whereas Hot Space is Queen winging it like they had done since Jazz.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Peace Loving Guy wrote:Queen simply did a shit job at doing what Jackson and Bowie were about to copy them at.

They didn't copy them. HS was not the inspiration for 'Thriller', and there's absolutely nothing to suggest it was the inspiration for 'Let's Dance' either. All three albums were influenced by the same background, yes, but not necessarily by one another.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:25 pm

sebastian wrote:
Peace Loving Guy wrote:Queen simply did a shit job at doing what Jackson and Bowie were about to copy them at.

They didn't copy them. HS was not the inspiration for 'Thriller', and there's absolutely nothing to suggest it was the inspiration for 'Let's Dance' either. All three albums were influenced by the same background, yes, but not necessarily by one another.

Hot Space - May 82 (US # 22, compared to The Game US #1)
Thriller - Nov 82 (US #1)
Let's Dance April 83 (US #4)

The albums aren't random selections. They are by artists known to be interacting in a meaningful way with Queen in the time period immediately before trying something substantially similar to Hot Space to much greater success. If There Must be More to Life Than This was on Thriller, or Cool Cat was on Let's Dance (for hypothetical example), it wouldn't be debated. Regardless, my point is Queen could've decided to make an album that sounded like Van Halen or Def Leppard, (or, God forbid, Metallica), but instead they went with a style in the vein of those other mentioned albums and didn't do a good job of it. Even when there are rock songs on Hot Space, they're not as good as "Beat It', are they? (Aside from Under Pressure, naturally).

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Although Bowie had charged producer Nile Rodgers with making hits for him,[35] Bowie would later say "at the time, Let's Dance was not mainstream. It was virtually a new kind of hybrid, using blues-rock guitar against a dance format. There wasn't anything else that really quite sounded like that at the time. So it only seems commercial in hindsight because it sold so many [copies].

Bowie recorded the demo for Let's Dance, with Dave Richards, at Mountain Studios in December 1982, a year after he'd been there with Queen and less time than that since he'd had his vocal removed from Cool Cat. So was he really inventing a new dance/rock hybrid? Staying Power is almost exactly what he's talking about. The difference is Let's Dance is just plain better than anything Queen did in the style he is claiming to have invented.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Peace Loving Guy wrote:Hot Space - May 82 (US # 22, compared to The Game US #1)
Thriller - Nov 82 (US #1)
Let's Dance April 83 (US #4)

Myself - Jun 1986
My little brother - May 1990

Am I his dad? No - we've got the same dad! And mum...
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby DREAMASTER » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Well the remix is not that bad.

phpBB [video]
I'm Back to the 3rd Round.
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby MelodyNelson » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Sorry to bump the thread, guys, but here's a direct quote from Roger regarding the mythical "A Night At The Miracle Pavilion" mini-tour:

"A live video presentation of 'The Miracle' is a possibility. It was suggested the other day and we all loved the idea. We might create a mystical venue for it - the Miracle Pavilion. Out of that, hopefully, might come an idea for touring."
https://www.queenmusichall.cz/en/albums ... racle.html

So, it seems it was never mooted as a tour at all, but as a "live" video.

I've always found this era of Queen particularly fascinating - not just this but the also aforementioned Another Miracle album. I think at the time everything was at the mercy of Freddie's health, and as far as we know Freddie wasn't even expected to make 1990 at this point, so they rushed back into the studio instead.

MelodyNelson
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Not really sure why you shared that in a topic about Body Language. But thanks.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby WeeMann » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:53 am

Lover Boy wrote:Not really sure why you shared that in a topic about Body Language. But thanks.

Go back and read the thread and it will all make sense.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Previous

Return to Killer Queen