Body Language!

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Body Language!

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 pm

hotspace1966 wrote:Wow... i remember the Fan Club Answer machine, first thing i would do when i got into work was check for any updated important information. Seems very antiquated know but i seem to remember that it worked.
As far as i know Fan Club Members always got the gen on upcoming info and were always sorted for tickets.
2nd row center for 2 shows at Wembley in 84 is testament to that. Although they did muck up on the other 2 dates but managed to sort me out in a round a bout sort of way.
Fan Club Mag like you mention was always late due to printers or waiting on the band to send their letter but i always remember feeling part of something special with the best band in the world. Happy innocent times of a more simple way gone forever. I also remember having to send them a batch of pre- paid envelopes and they would send updated info back to you in...lol
Fan club incidentally also came through for tickets of Brian playing acoustic at Virgin Mega store London, great show that and never did hear any recordings of it.

Incidentally i remember first playing MBG and having no preconceptions as to how it would sound in relation to Queen and loved it, back then i was no audiophile so no way could i tell that it was not a great productions, didn't really matter as i loved the songs, haven't played the album in years so must give it a spin again soon, pretty sure i won't change my thoughts on the album. Although i must add Fun In Space still remains my favorite solo album by the band members.


Gawd, it does seem like another age altogether...waiting for the latest FC mag to come through your door...and waiting...and waiting...they were never on time. I think they were only about 10-odd pages too; and I would re-read every one of those pages and still feel excited about the latest news or proposed projects. Oh, simple days...

I think it is just such a shame that MBG suffered from shite production values and - at that time especially - a very impatient and pleasure-seeking Freddie. I still maintain the songs themselves (well, most of them) stand up - and the man's passion was still there...but it does sound so thin and cheap. Shame.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4211
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 448 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby Echoplex » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Woody70 wrote:I do remember talk of The Miracle Pavillion ‘tour’ - IIRC the suggestion was a live performance of the album released on video. Not sure it was suggested as a tour as such but a one off. The idea was definately floated in a F C magazine.

As you look back on things, given the position they were in, I do wonder whether this was a bit of mis-direction to quell the demand for live shows and to take some of the attention away from Fred not being able to tour at the time. Suggesting they were developing ‘live’ ideas bought them some time before announcing that they were going back into the studio. That seems to fit with the approach they took to protect Fred in the last few years.


Thank you. :) I knew I had heard about this from somewhere.

You may be right about the band using a bit of slight of hand, so to speak: they were constantly being asked if they were going to tour again, Freddie didn't look his same old self (although he did not look too ill at this stage) and it had never been known for them not to tour an album; what better way to make things seem fine and normal? I wonder what it was that put a complete stop to that proposal? Maybe Freddie realised he just physically couldn't do it anymore and did not want to finish his live career not on top form?



At the time the album was released there were reports in some uk press (daily and music) that they were considering dates. This was re enforced by a Roger Taylor interview in which he said something like. . we are looking at a block of several dates at a couple of central locations we're thinking about a show built around the album it will be called The Mirical Pavilion.
 
Echoplex
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Echoplex wrote:

At the time the album was released there were reports in some uk press (daily and music) that they were considering dates. This was re enforced by a Roger Taylor interview in which he said something like. . we are looking at a block of several dates at a couple of central locations we're thinking about a show built around the album it will be called The Mirical Pavilion.


Cheers for that. I had the word 'pavilion' stuck in my head, but thought I must have imagined it; so the posts from yourself and our other friend confirming it has saved my temporary sanity!
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4211
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 448 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby icy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Yes thanks for the info. I wasn't a fan then, but boy I wish they could have toured or done more live shows The Miracle has some very good songs, to think of Queen playing them live...it makes me wish that things were different, and most of all I wish we ( fans ) never lost Freddie and he could still be here.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16386
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 558 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:21 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Echoplex wrote:

At the time the album was released there were reports in some uk press (daily and music) that they were considering dates. This was re enforced by a Roger Taylor interview in which he said something like. . we are looking at a block of several dates at a couple of central locations we're thinking about a show built around the album it will be called The Mirical Pavilion.


Cheers for that. I had the word 'pavilion' stuck in my head, but thought I must have imagined it; so the posts from yourself and our other friend confirming it has saved my temporary sanity!



My very hazy recollection is that Roger wrote in a fan club letter in '88 or '89 something like 'People keep asking me if we're going to tour. I hope so. Maybe".

I took these comments as sincere, not deflections. Also Freddie made live performances at the Time musical, and Barcelona? So some gigs in conjunction with the Miracle may well have been a serious possibility.
 
Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby marshallmichael » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Woody70 wrote:I do remember talk of The Miracle Pavillion ‘tour’ - IIRC the suggestion was a live performance of the album released on video. Not sure it was suggested as a tour as such but a one off. The idea was definately floated in a F C magazine.



I remember reading that, I'm sure it said the idea for doing that came from John.
 
marshallmichael
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby Woody70 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:39 pm

Can i clarify my previous comment- i can accept that Roger’s comments were sincere and not deflection. My post is 20 years on, with a massive amount of hindsight, and is absolutely influenced by the events that followed. There may well have been a genuine imputous for some shows for The Miracle - I’ve no idea. But i can see a scenario whereby the band would throw a few a few curve balls to protect Fred. No criticism from me- In a simiar situation I’m sure I would do the same.
 
Woody70
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 78
Images: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:40 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby marshallmichael » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Woody70 wrote:Can i clarify my previous comment- i can accept that Roger’s comments were sincere and not deflection. My post is 20 years on, with a massive amount of hindsight, and is absolutely influenced by the events that followed. There may well have been a genuine imputous for some shows for The Miracle - I’ve no idea. But i can see a scenario whereby the band would throw a few a few curve balls to protect Fred. No criticism from me- In a simiar situation I’m sure I would do the same.


Lets face it that around the time of the The Miracle the band might have know as much about HIV/AIDS as I did, and maybe thought after a period of rest then Freddie might be able to do more shows. Obviously by the time of interviews around the Innuendo album when both Roger and Brian said they were hoping to persuade Freddie to do another tour soon, was just blatant lying to protect their friend.
 
marshallmichael
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby Pingu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 am

Interesting thread.

Nothing to do with Body Language.

New thread?

Of course not.
 
Pingu
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 541
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby icy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:09 am

marshallmichael wrote:
Woody70 wrote:Can i clarify my previous comment- i can accept that Roger’s comments were sincere and not deflection. My post is 20 years on, with a massive amount of hindsight, and is absolutely influenced by the events that followed. There may well have been a genuine imputous for some shows for The Miracle - I’ve no idea. But i can see a scenario whereby the band would throw a few a few curve balls to protect Fred. No criticism from me- In a simiar situation I’m sure I would do the same.


Lets face it that around the time of the The Miracle the band might have know as much about HIV/AIDS as I did, and maybe thought after a period of rest then Freddie might be able to do more shows. Obviously by the time of interviews around the Innuendo album when both Roger and Brian said they were hoping to persuade Freddie to do another tour soon, was just blatant lying to protect their friend.

Hmm. I don't think Brian and Roger have ever discussed how much they knew about AIDS at the time. I actually don't know what they knew about it.
You actually bring up something very thought provoking. How was the press about AIDS in the 80s treated in the press in the UK? I remember learning about AIDS because of Ryan White. Before that time, had never heard about it before, Ryan White was very instrumental in changing people's attitudes about it, and so was Elizabeth Taylor at the time.
It's something to see how things have changed in the past 25+ years, everything from the drugs to being aware of the diease. It shocks me that in some circles there is so much ignorance about it. No excuse for it in the Western world,IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16386
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 558 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby Kes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:26 pm

As regards the production on Mr Bad Guy, a while back I was talking to someone, who knew someone in the inner circle when Freddie was recording the album. It was around the time that he was first introduced to the music of his future collaborator Montserrat Caballe, and he came into the studio to continue work on the album, and was totally disinterested. He put on a tape of Montsy singing and went "I'm pissed off! THIS is what I want to do!"

He carried on working on MBG, but his heart was somewhere else.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14826
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 358 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby Kes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:33 pm

As regards Innuendo, and was it rushed?

The Back To The Tapes thing answered a lot of those questions. It was recorded fairly quickly by Queen standards, over four groups of sessions, Montreux, Metropolis, Montreux, Metropolis. But you hear breakdowns of things like The Show Must Go On, and you wouldn't say it was rushed. Focused, intensely focused towards producing the best they could in what they knew was an hourglass/egg timer running against them, would be a better appraisal.

I don't think there were ANY lapses in their approach to quality control, not even Delilah. Freddie knew what he personally wanted on the album, and pushed his corner, as much as the other four did.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14826
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 358 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby icy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Kes wrote:As regards the production on Mr Bad Guy, a while back I was talking to someone, who knew someone in the inner circle when Freddie was recording the album. It was around the time that he was first introduced to the music of his future collaborator Montserrat Caballe, and he came into the studio to continue work on the album, and was totally disinterested. He put on a tape of Montsy singing and went "I'm pissed off! THIS is what I want to do!"

He carried on working on MBG, but his heart was somewhere else.

That is very interesting...
I will say this. I'm glad Freddie dream came true in the Barcelona album. Even playing it all these years later, I can tell the passion he had for making and doing that album. I think that album is a force to get reckoned with.


Kes wrote:As regards Innuendo, and was it rushed?

The Back To The Tapes thing answered a lot of those questions. It was recorded fairly quickly by Queen standards, over four groups of sessions, Montreux, Metropolis, Montreux, Metropolis. But you hear breakdowns of things like The Show Must Go On, and you wouldn't say it was rushed. Focused, intensely focused towards producing the best they could in what they knew was an hourglass/egg timer running against them, would be a better appraisal.

I don't think there were ANY lapses in their approach to quality control, not even Delilah. Freddie knew what he personally wanted on the album, and pushed his corner, as much as the other four did.


Innuendo has never sounded rushed to me. It's brilliant what they managed to do during that time. It blows me away more than anything else they did. Personally, I think they all put their guts into it. What an emotional album, maybe even more than MIH...well it is for me.
I could not imagine the Queen catalogue without Innuendo...very rarely in the years since have I heard an album even close to it. Bowie's BS is a contender.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16386
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 558 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby Kes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 pm

To me, the best stuff Bowie ever did, was in that little basement in Soho. Good as though he was in other points of his career, that stuff really was somewhere else, compared to everything else going on at that time.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14826
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 358 times

Re: Body Language!

Postby sebastian » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Kes wrote:It was recorded fairly quickly by Queen standards, over four groups of sessions


That's still a lot of time, and it took them far longer than the seventies albums, for instance.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 271 times
Been thanked: 94 times

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Garibaldi_bcn and 5 guests