Queen releases in unusual formats

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Queen releases in unusual formats

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:18 pm

I was looking around online to see what formats beyond the obvious ones like LPs, cassettes, and CDs that Queen ever had albums released on. (since I'm a geek sometimes and I find that kind of thing interesting :geek: )

As far as I can tell, everything up to Hot Space came out on 8-track. Maybe that doesn't quite qualify as "unusual", since 8-tracks were a big deal for a good period of time, but I find those releases interesting because the songs are often in a different order, to make the "tracks" roughly even in length. Like, speaking of Hot Space, Las Palabras De Amor is after Dancer, and it's split into two parts at that!

The one that really surprises me is that Greatest Hits and The Game were released (by Elektra in the US, anyway) on reel-to-reel. I had thought that pre-recorded music on reel-to-reel tape was already a thing of the past by then, but I guess it kept hanging on until the mid-'80s, who knew?

The only other one I found was Minidisc, which GH, GH II, and GH III were all released on. Makes sense, I guess, because II and III, at least, were released when MiniDisc was kind of a thing, or right around the time. Maybe it was more successful in the UK and Europe than the US, I dunno, but I think I only ever knew ONE person that had them, and I believe it was just used as a recorder in that case.

Anyone know of any thing else like that? I know Digital Compact Cassette was around at the same time as MiniDisc, but I can't find any Queen stuff on those, there just wasn't a lot of prerecorded music released in that format anyway. Of course, it's pretty much gotten to the point now where ALL physical music formats are obsolete, or getting that way, hasn't it?

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Re: Queen releases in unusual formats

Postby BitterTears » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Not really an official product as far as I know but the Making of Night at the Opera (which Roger and Brian were involved with) was released on UMD. And Rock Montreal came out on HD-DVD. Greatest Flix was on VCD in some countries, I think and there's a few Laserdiscs on eBay although I don't think they are all official releases.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Ooh, ya know, I wasn't even thinking about video releases. Looks like there were a few things on LaserDisc...

ImageImage

Or how about this for an odd one, Greatest Flix on RCA "Selectavision" otherwise known as CED: (I saw a video about those once, sounds like they were a major pain in the ass really :lol:)

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:51 pm

I have a Japanese boxset with 3" CDs and I Was Born to Love You on 3" as well. I don't know if they had a special name or if they are just CDs.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:26 am

Oh yeah, I've heard of that box set. I think the 3" CDs were more popular in Japan than anywhere else. I remember some CD players would have a special indentation for them, but I don't think I ever saw an actual 3" CD.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby WeeMann » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:35 am

They were sold individually in the UK. I have about half of them.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby slightlymad1970 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:36 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Oh yeah, I've heard of that box set. I think the 3" CDs were more popular in Japan than anywhere else. I remember some CD players would have a special indentation for them, but I don't think I ever saw an actual 3" CD.

They were really popular around the time of The Miracle. I have the Japanese box set mentioned plus Japanese issues of IWIA, IWBTLY, LML/DSMN, Boh Rhap and solo Japanese issues of Foreign Sand, The Great Pretender x2, Guide Me Home and The Golden Boy. All the Japanese issues came in an extended package (3" x 6"). I have the complete set of 12 UK 3" CD's and the 4 3" CD's issues from Germany, IWIA, The Invisible Man Scandal and The Miracle. I have never seen a 3" CD of Breakthru from Germany, for no apparent reason unlike all The Miracle singles I believe it wasn't issued on 3" CD.

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Well, you now know two people who have the three Greatest Hits albums on minidisc.

The curious thing about the 12x3" CD set, was that if you bought them in the UK, they are a mix and match between CDs pressed by DADC in Austria, and Nimbus in the UK. I don't know anyone who has a set of the non-Japanese ones with them all made in one country (hopes someone now proves me wrong!).

Go round the world, and you DO find a few unusual things, like Karaoke Greatest Hits on VCD in the Philippines, and the REALLY unusual thing about that one, is that one side of the stereo channel is an instrumental version, and the other side is the version with the lead vocal, so everything plays with the lead vocal panned to one side. Another rare thing to find is musicassettes of anything issued comparitively recently, like LOLSOS. I think I have two copies of it, from somewhere like South Korea.

Another unusual one is the full Five Live thing on 12" vinyl. There were only a handful of countries to make a version of it, so you're doing well if you managed to get one.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby BitterTears » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:05 pm

I wondered if anything had ever been released on Betamax and a quick look on eBay suggests YES. We Will Rock You/Montreal and Live in Rio both appear to have been released in this format at least.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:06 pm

And Greatest Flix 1.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby stagnation » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:54 am

Kes wrote:And Greatest Flix 1.

Yes i can remember on my copy of Flix 1 it said "Also available in Betamax" on the back.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Knocking around somewhere, I had a copy of it on Beta. Never owned a Betamax player, but still.

I've got a load of 8-tracks, but have never owned an 8-track player, so it's not THAT unusual, I'd guess.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:06 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Ooh, ya know, I wasn't even thinking about video releases. Looks like there were a few things on LaserDisc...

LaserDisc :lol:

I only ever saw a LaserDisc once, when I was a kid, visiting a school friend's house (he also had one of those monstrous back-projection TVs). For the longest time afterwards I thought I'd simply imagined him playing a movie off a big shiny vinyl record lol. It wasn't until much more recently that I learned this had been a real thing.

I think it was Braveheart we watched. We had to stop to turn over/chance discs three times during the course of the movie :lol:
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:44 pm

You've got to remember that only a few years before the advent of laserdisc, VHS and CD audio had only recently been introduced, and given the technology of the day, LD was quite an advancement.

Primitive as fuck NOW, I'll concede, but we weren't that many years on from only two TV channels, and the average person's inability to record either of them.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Actually, CD came a few years after LD. CD was basically an outgrowth of the technology used for LD.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to Killer Queen