Mary Mercury

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Mary Mercury

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Anyone else here heard or read that Mary changed her surname to Mercury by deed poll sometime in the early 80s? I have just seen an interview with a tv and music critic the day after Freddie's death in which this individual claims that to be the case. Seems like an odd and pointless thing to lie about, yet I have never heard anything of the sort anywhere else.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Re: Mary Mercury

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Yeah, I'll call BS on that one. It just sounds like something someone would make up. Like, it seems like something she would do if she was trying to get extra publicity, but from all I've heard about her, she really wasn't about that.

Just because, a very cool old picture I just found:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:13 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Yeah, I'll call BS on that one. It just sounds like something someone would make up. Like, it seems like something she would do if she was trying to get extra publicity, but from all I've heard about her, she really wasn't about that.

Just because, a very cool old picture I just found:

Ditto. It just does not fit with her character, from all I have read anyway. I just don't know why a critic in the business for years - and who knew Freddie pretty well (for a critic!) - would make such a claim. Odd.

And I love that picture. They looked so in love.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:09 pm

If I recall correctly, she was married to a bloke called Piers Cameron, and having kids with him, around the time that Freddie died, so it's not really very likely she'd change her name to Mercury, while in an active relationship to a bloke who's name isn't Mercury, is it? To give an idea of the time frame, her first child was born in 1990, and her second in 1992, so I guess that sums that up.

Still, why not? Let's all get behind another urban legend of complete b/s, eh?

Just to add to that, I know someone who knew both Freddie and Mary very well from about 1978 to 1984, and he's never mentioned it, despite talking at length to me about Mary Austin, and what her connections still were to Freddie after the physical side of their relationship went a bit south.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Kes wrote:If I recall correctly, she was married to a bloke called Piers Cameron, and having kids with him, around the time that Freddie died, so it's not really very likely she'd change her name to Mercury, while in an active relationship to a bloke who's name isn't Mercury, is it? To give an idea of the time frame, her first child was born in 1990, and her second in 1992, so I guess that sums that up.

Still, why not? Let's all get behind another urban legend of complete b/s, eh?

Just to add to that, I know someone who knew both Freddie and Mary very well from about 1978 to 1984, and he's never mentioned it, despite talking at length to me about Mary Austin, and what her connections still were to Freddie after the physical side of their relationship went a bit south.

For one, I was not getting behind 'another urban legend of complete bullshit', but merely asking a straightforward and simple question out of sheer curiousity. You know no more than I or anyone else if she did so or not and can only guess.

Also, it was stated she changed her name in the early 80s - so not the timeframe you have mentioned.

I just thought I would pose the question on here, as I know how many knowledgeable Queen fans are around. Hardly supporting some bullshit story, is it? Fuck me.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:33 am

I don't know. I'd guess that the opinion of someone who lived in the same flat as Freddie for most of the period you mentioned (1978-1984), might provide a little more insight than the average bear (or music journalist for that matter), but still, all any of us can only work on, is the percentage likelihood that something either was, or wasn't, the case.

Of course, if you can find anybody still alive, equally or better qualified than his PA at the time, who knows better, go for it.

You never know, this movie might provide an answer, not that we can believe everything we see in the movies.

...Anyway, in trying to be objective, let's try and take a look at what we have from a factual element. I think it's a legal requirement that you register with Companies House under your "given" name, so, if she changed her name to Mercury by deed poll, she'd have had to have changed it back, at some point, to do this...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... 8/officers
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:24 am

Kes wrote:I don't know. I'd guess that the opinion of someone who lived in the same flat as Freddie for most of the period you mentioned (1978-1984), might provide a little more insight than the average bear (or music journalist for that matter), but still, all any of us can only work on, is the percentage likelihood that something either was, or wasn't, the case.

Of course, if you can find anybody still alive, equally or better qualified than his PA at the time, who knows better, go for it.

You never know, this movie might provide an answer, not that we can believe everything we see in the movies.

...Anyway, in trying to be objective, let's try and take a look at what we have from a factual element. I think it's a legal requirement that you register with Companies House under your "given" name, so, if she changed her name to Mercury by deed poll, she'd have had to have changed it back, at some point, to do this...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... 8/officers

I don't think even Phoebe knew everything about Freddie. But would I take his word over Nina Myskow's? Of course.

Not that this was meant as a serious, important question; I was merely curious, as I had never heard this stated before - and I have read and watched probably everything there is.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Killer Queen