Queen fun and interesting stories

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Queen fun and interesting stories

Postby KNIGHT » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:37 pm

I thought creating an informal post about fun and interesting stories about a little band called Queen.

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Re: Queen fun and interesting stories

Postby KNIGHT » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:43 pm

In 1984, Freddie almost record two songs for the then new movie called Conan the Destroyer, with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

It is also interesting the fact that movie was produced by the same film producer of Flash Gordon-Dino De Laurentiis.

Another story around this period, was when Freddie was nominated for the Golden Raspberry Award (a.k.a. Razzie awards) for Worst Original Song, with Love Kills for the movie Metropolis 1984.

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Might be worth noting the sources too, for those interested. :)

Good ones so far, but this one has always tickled me:

During the recording for News Of The World, young studio engineer Andy Turner caught Freddie's attention and charmed his way into his inner circle. Aside from engineering, Andy was also required to pick up some exceedingly good Mr. Kipling Almond Slices to go with Freddie's morning tea.

This duty granted Andy an extra privilege, he could help himself to Freddie's cakes. Not even the band were allowed to do so, as a sheepish Brian found out, feeling Fred's wrath one day.

"No-one is allowed to touch MY Almond Slices, NO-ONE!.........except Andy!"

Source:

Is This The Real Life? by Mark Blake, page 206.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 am

My all time favourite still has to be the morning that one of the U.K. tabloids had the front page headline "Freddie blows £40,000 in one night on cocaine", and he storms into the Queen offices in Pembridge Road, holding up the newspaper almost crying "Have you seen this? Have you seen what the bastards are writing about me?" Before breaking into a smile and adding "I haven't cut down THAT much, have I?"
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby KNIGHT » Sun May 20, 2018 11:12 am

Queen frontman Freddie Mercury became close friends with the "People's Princess" in the mid-'80s when Diana's every move was heavily monitored by the media. According to a memoir by actress Cleo Rocos, she, Mercury, and the princess were sipping Champagne and watching reruns of Golden Girls at the home of comedian Kenny Everett one evening, creating their own subplots for the sitcom, albeit with a "much a naughtier storyline." When Diana found out Everett, Mercury, and Rocos were headed to the infamous gay bar Royal Vauxhall Tavern later that night, Diana asked if she could tag along. The group was skeptical at first — Royal Vauxhall was known for its rough crowd and bar fights. The media would have a field day if Diana was ever caught in the middle of a brawl in a gay bar, yet Diana insisted she still go. "Go on, let the girl have some fun," Mercury reportedly said.
The group concocted a plan: Diana would disguise herself in the drag costume Everett planned to wear that night. They dressed the princess in an army jacket, aviator sunglasses, and a leather cap. Rocos described the attire as that of a "rather eccentrically dressed gay male model."

The disguise was a success. The crowd was so distracted by Mercury, Everett, and Rocos that they didn't notice Princess Di making her way to the bar. She sipped on white wine and beer and enjoyed her freedom for the entire 20 minutes they stayed (the group didn't want to push their luck) before making her way back home to Kensington Palace.

I really think this story should be in the upcoming Bohemian Rhapsody film…. It is so funny.

I already heard this story, but I remembered again after seeing this article:

https://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/Were-Freddie-Mercury-Princess-Diana-Friends-44856016?utm_source=imdb&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=feed

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Postby Montreux » Sun May 20, 2018 11:57 am

“Freddie and Diana never met.” Pheobe at the Czech convention in 2006.

Montreux
Spread Your Wings

Follow that Dream...

Postby sebastian » Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Montreux wrote:“Freddie and Diana never met.” Pheobe at the Czech convention in 2006.

What if they met between January and May 1980 (Freestone wasn't working with Frederick during those months) or before October 1979 (Freestone had never worked for Frederick by then)?

I mean, the story could still easily be fabricated, but 'Phoebe said' only covers what happened during the Crazy tour and from The Game tour onwards (but not The Game recordings).
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Montreux » Sun May 20, 2018 12:38 pm

I suppose if it that happened before, Phoebe - somebody who lived with Freddie so many years - would know about it. Because it would be quite popular story to tell.

Montreux
Spread Your Wings

Follow that Dream...

Postby BitterTears » Sun May 20, 2018 1:10 pm

It's such a ridiculous story, especially with so many details, that you WANT to believe it. I would definitely come down on the side it didn't happen though.

BTW the story says this happened in the mid 80s anyway, but even if they story did pre-date Peter working for Freddie, Diana wouldn't have needed to get in disguise to go out as no one knew who she was. Well, not no one but you get the general point.

Golden Girls didn't start until 1985 but I almost feel like whoever came up with the story added that little detail in just to make the whole story as ridiculous as possible.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Mon May 21, 2018 3:19 am

Sure, the story sounds made up through and through. But my point, not to dismiss Phoebe, is that if he said Frederick didn't meet somebody, that doesn't rule out him having met them before the Crazy Tour or in early 1980.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Action This Day » Tue May 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Wasn't Di sitting behind Roger and Brian at Live Aid? Was Freddie nearby?

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Return to Killer Queen