ALBUM SIDES: "QUEEN" (1973) - POLL

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Which side is your favorite from "QUEEN"?

SIDE 1
90%
SIDE 2
10%

Total votes : 10

ALBUM SIDES: "QUEEN" (1973) - POLL

Postby BrandonSquared » Mon May 07, 2018 2:30 am

I thought this would be a fun idea. We can go through each album and vote and discuss which side of the record we prefer. In other words, which side is the stronger side of the LP, or perhaps just more of your favorite if you had to pick one over the other. Maybe it's because the individual songs are generally better on a particular side or perhaps the sequencing and order of them appeals to you.

SIDE 1:
1) Keep Yourself Alive
2) Doing All Right
3) Great King Rat
4) My Fairy King

SIDE 2:
5) Liar
6) The Night Comes Down
7) Modern Times Rock 'N' Roll
8) Son And Daughter
9) Jesus
10) Seven Seas Of Rhye.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Re: ALBUM SIDES: "QUEEN" (1973) - POLL

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon May 07, 2018 6:16 am

Oh, if only Liar were a bit shorter so it would've fit onto side 1. :p

Joking aside, Side 1 is easily the best part of the album because of how well the songs fit into each other either thematically or via contrast.

Side 2 just isn't as strong to me. Jesus lets it down. (the song, not the man) The side starts off great but then grinds to a halt due to that song.

It's a shame really because the rest of the side is on par with Side 1 with Liar, Son and Daughter and Modern Times being stand outs.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby BrandonSquared » Mon May 07, 2018 12:32 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Oh, if only Liar were a bit shorter so it would've fit onto side 1. :p

Joking aside, Side 1 is easily the best part of the album because of how well the songs fit into each other either thematically or via contrast.

Side 2 just isn't as strong to me. Jesus lets it down. (the song, not the man) The side starts off great but then grinds to a halt due to that song.

It's a shame really because the rest of the side is on par with Side 1 with Liar, Son and Daughter and Modern Times being stand outs.

I actually had to see what side Liar was on because I was sure it was the ending of side 1. It's my favorite track on here and would have made side a even better. I prefer the first side because of the flow and contrasts (they showed early on what masters of mood they were).

I actually really like "Jesus" and I'm an atheist! I love the digs at religion ("all going DOWN to see the Lord Jesus..." and I think it fits Freddie's iconoclastic personality of turning something sacred inside out to reveal hypocrisy. An artist from the beginning. Also, musically it's emotional and engaging structurally. Not their best song but it's still worthy of being on here. It seems to be a Queen track that few seem to enjoy, either because they don't like the music or they really believe that the lyrics are pushing a peachy, religious world-view.

Son and Daughter is a great song but it's much better live at the Rainbow then in the studio, mostly because Freddie's vocal is heard clearly and not distorted and fuzzy like on the record. It annoys me that they did whatever they did with that.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Mon May 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Side 1, but The Night Comes Down is one of my favourite tracks of the album.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon May 07, 2018 1:30 pm

This is a tough one for me actually. I'll go with side 1, but not by much. Swap the version of Son And Daughter with one of the BBC versions, and the version of Jesus with the De Lane Lea version, and it might be a different story.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon May 07, 2018 1:50 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:This is a tough one for me actually. I'll go with side 1, but not by much. Swap the version of Son And Daughter with one of the BBC versions, and the version of Jesus with the De Lane Lea version, and it might be a different story.

And I thought Velveteen Dream having Alistair Black airbrushed on his tights Rick Rude style was one the best ideas I've seen all year.

But enough about the guilty pleasure that is WWE.

I like Jesus on it's own and it pops up in a few playlists, (usually with Mad The Swine as a companion piece) but it doesn't flow as well as it should when grouped with the rest of the album.

When I listened to 'Queen' in full for the first time as a teen it was a track I put on repeat a lot. Maybe it was a subconscious thing due to my upbringing but there is something special about the track all the same.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Mon May 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Love them both, but I picked 2 because of its variety... though they're both rather eclectic. But the second side has an instrumental number, a piece sung by Roger, an acoustic-dominated track, some rather fantastic vocal harmonies and, of course, 'Liar'.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Guru » Mon May 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Side 1. The wah solo on GKR is such a favourite tone.

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Lover Boy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:59 am

Sign me up for side 1 as well. It may be short, but it packs a hell of a punch. Doing Alright may actually be my favorite song of the four. Still, it's a shame Liar isn't on side 1. It'd have been a great way to close the first half.

Side 2 is OK. I just think the pacing isn't as good. Jesus, although a great song, kind of throws it off the tracks a bit. I also never quite liked the production of Son and Daughter...it doesn't sound complete either, like it ends just as it's getting somewhere. That said, the live version with Brian's solo is far superior.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Return to Killer Queen