Queen and old age....

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Queen and old age....

Postby Regina 2 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:29 am

Hi there people... im sad to say my time is running out(old age) for me to see some queen in studio jam playing covers and Secret Studio fun (unreleased songs)... So the big question is what are they waiting for?.....until it's too late?.(Old Queen fans are dead???) this is to sad to even make a request from Roger and Brian....

Regina 2
Spread Your Wings

Re: Queen and old age....

Postby BitterTears » Sun May 13, 2018 8:30 am

Don't think they are particularly waiting for anything, I think they've just no real appetite to release what's in the vault.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby TheHero » Mon May 14, 2018 3:27 am

At least there is a quality control when the original band members still has something to say. When they are no longer here, I fear we will see the record label releasing and recycling the hits without any sense of understanding the history of Queen and what they stood for. One day that will be the situation, which is kind of sad. I am glad I got the chance to experience the years when the original Queen members had control over their own works.

The Rainbow concert was a beautiful gift, with the live version of The Fairy Feller's Masterstroke. Though it took 40 years for it to be released in full.

I actually don't think there is much complete or good enough songs left in the vaults, probably just bits and pieces. The best has already been put on the original studio albums, and with the latest 2011 Remasters 2CD Deluxe verions; 4-5 bonus tracks for each studio album.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 am

I thought along the same lines, between the 2011 remasters and things that have leaked over the years, there probably wasn't much else in a releasable state to get excited over. Then the NotW 40th release happened and a whole treasure trove of goodies appeared and suddenly I'm curious again as to what else might be in there.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am

I honestly don't think they've even touched the edges with the Raw Sessions disc in the NOTW box set.

I also don't really believe that the fabled Anthologies are waiting for the band to kark it. More likely just waiting so that it can be a "bookend" product.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby EDWOOD » Mon May 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Kes wrote:I honestly don't think they've even touched the edges with the Raw Sessions disc in the NOTW box set.

I also don't really believe that the fabled Anthologies are waiting for the band to kark it. More likely just waiting so that it can be a "bookend" product.

Exactly Kes. The Raw sessions disc for NOTW was a spruced up version of the rough cuts of alternate versions of tracks. We don't know how much material they had to sift through just to get it to the cuts they put out. How many rough versions were/are there for each of the 11 tracks? Isn't Feelings Feelings on its own labelled as 'take 11' or something?
Kind of like the Beatles Anthology with Strawberry Fields Forever with all the hybrid versions culminating in the final product on the original album.

The rough cut of NOTW was great however I have strong suspicions that there was a lot more then what we got. Plus there may still be more ideas/rough cuts of unreleased songs just from this album, without thinking about the other 14 albums!

You know yourself what kind of great things are in the vaults with the Innuendo recordings you and other fans listened to recently and didn't you only listen to about a third of the album's songs due to time constraints?

I can't imagine anything rarities wise to be released this year though - it'll be aimed at the "Greatest Hits' crowd due to the release of the film in November. QP probably have already calculated how much more they'll sell this year due to this with pound signs in their eyes so can only look forward to maybe a Hits collection being re-released with the films logo embellished on it!

EDWOOD
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Mon May 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Back in the days of the early albums, they had sixteen track machines, and so had to constantly bounce down tracks to make blank tracks to record on. Get to Innuendo, and they were using 48-track digital, and in a lot of the cases, two of those synced up to each other, so they had 96 available tracks, meaning they didn't have to discard that many parallel ideas that they came up with.

The Innuendo listen through was a bit of an eye opener, in that the backing track for the sixth take, which wasn't deemed good enough at the time, wound up getting used as the backing track for the final section of the finished song. So the first bit you hear is take 7, followed by the "You can be anything you want to be" section, followed by the Bolero bit (which inspired the song's working title), followed by take 6. Both takes 6 & 7 were pretty much the band playing "live" in the studio, with minimal overdubs or "component" recording.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Return to Killer Queen