Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Thu May 17, 2018 5:31 am

Image

So, I've long had a theory on Freddie shaving the 'stache in '87. Maybe all of you have discussed this and I'm stating an obvious theory - but I've not been one to frequent the Queen boards.

As we all know, for "The Great Pretender" video, Freddie shaved his moustache off for the first time publicly in about 7 years. And we also know that he'd already been made aware he was HIV+ and had AIDS.

Him shaving always caught me off guard. But recently I've wondered if him doing so was for a deeper meaning.

Freddie grew the moustache as a result of the LGBT crowds he was spending time with, as it was part of the culture and the "look" of the males in those scenes. He wanted to be appealing and to fit in. It was during the time when he was mostly single, clubbing, partying and doing all sorts of...things. He was a party-animal type and was notoriously promiscuous at this time...

Is it possible that once he was diagnosed and was made to shed that way of being, that he saw the moustache as a reminder/symbol of the culture and lifestyle that he'd (regretfully?) embraced from 1980-1986 that ultimately sealed his own fate? And that shaving it would be a way to distance himself from who he was and that culture, as well?

Likely reading too much into it, but still. If Freddie felt at all regretful, disdainful towards the culture and promiscuity that he'd embraced, maybe the moustache'd look just reminded him of decisions he wished he didn't make. That shaving was his way of moving on from the partying, promiscuous man he'd been for the last 7 or so years.

So is it possible he saw the moustache as an unfortunate and painful reminder of the culture/actions he embraced that caused him to contract AIDS?

I don't know. Let me know what your thoughts are!
:-|
 
MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby slightlymad1970 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am

I like your theory and it is indeed plausible, however, I think it was just a case of Freddie having to dress in drag again for the video shoot and he didn't want to recreate the infamous I Want To Break Free look. I'm looking forward to see how Freddie's sexuality is treated in the new movie and wether his hedonistic lifestyle will be toned down. As the film will not be an 18 certificate but a PG? a lot of his excess will be glossed over.....i think.
 
slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:53 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby KNIGHT » Thu May 17, 2018 4:33 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:Image

As we all know, for "The Great Pretender" video, Freddie shaved his moustache off for the first time publicly in about 7 years. And we also know that he'd already been made aware he was HIV+ and had AIDS.

:-|


Not true. He shaved the moustache for the I Want To Break Free video, around 84.
 
KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:58 am
Location: Planet Earth
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby PaulTMA » Fri May 25, 2018 10:15 am

KNIGHT wrote:
MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:Image

As we all know, for "The Great Pretender" video, Freddie shaved his moustache off for the first time publicly in about 7 years. And we also know that he'd already been made aware he was HIV+ and had AIDS.

:-|


Not true. He shaved the moustache for the I Want To Break Free video, around 84.


Which makes me wonder, are there any photographs of Freddie sans 'tache from this period outwith the video shoot? Would be great to see.
 
PaulTMA
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby Action This Day » Tue May 29, 2018 6:37 pm

Freddie also shaved the 'tache for The Great Pretender and Barcelona videos IIRC.
 
Action This Day
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm
Location: This street honey...
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Tue May 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Action This Day wrote:Freddie also shaved the 'tache for The Great Pretender and Barcelona videos IIRC.


Might help to always read the original post of a thread.
 
MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby Action This Day » Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Action This Day wrote:Freddie also shaved the 'tache for The Great Pretender and Barcelona videos IIRC.


I did.

What I meant was I don't think it was a symbolic move, I think Freddie just preferred the 'classier' clean-shaven look for the 'ballet' and 'opera' style videos for IWTBF & Barcelona and of course for the drag bit in TGP.

Remember also that by 1988 Freddie had begun to develop painful skin lesions on the face and it was easier for him to not shave at all hence the beard for the Miracle single videos.
 
Action This Day
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm
Location: This street honey...
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby KNIGHT » Wed May 30, 2018 4:19 pm

PaulTMA wrote:
KNIGHT wrote:
MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:Image

As we all know, for "The Great Pretender" video, Freddie shaved his moustache off for the first time publicly in about 7 years. And we also know that he'd already been made aware he was HIV+ and had AIDS.

:-|


Not true. He shaved the moustache for the I Want To Break Free video, around 84.


Which makes me wonder, are there any photographs of Freddie sans 'tache from this period outwith the video shoot? Would be great to see.


In this video we can clearly see Freddie without is famous moustache.....around 2:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24CVePLoIvw
 
KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:58 am
Location: Planet Earth
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby PaulTMA » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:14 pm

KNIGHT wrote:In this video we can clearly see Freddie without is famous moustache.....around 2:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24CVePLoIvw


Well, that is still from the video shoot, but thanks, its great footage!

Is there any photo / video evidence of Freddie without the 'tache in 1984 immediately after the video took place? I imagine he grew it back right away, or more likely had a beard for a few weeks.
 
PaulTMA
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Shaving the 'stache - Was it a symbolic-move?

Postby Deacon Fro » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:49 am

PaulTMA wrote:
KNIGHT wrote:In this video we can clearly see Freddie without is famous moustache.....around 2:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24CVePLoIvw


Well, that is still from the video shoot, but thanks, its great footage!

Is there any photo / video evidence of Freddie without the 'tache in 1984 immediately after the video took place? I imagine he grew it back right away, or more likely had a beard for a few weeks.

It probably didn't take him long to grow it back out.
 
Deacon Fro
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:12 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 10 times


Return to Killer Queen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests