ALBUM SIDES: "QUEEN II" (1974)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

ALBUM SIDES: "QUEEN II" (1974)

Postby BrandonSquared » Sat May 19, 2018 1:46 am

Which color side of the album is your favorite, or which is the one you think is better, or perhaps both?

SIDE WHITE:

1) Procession
2) Father To Son;
3) White Queen (As It Began)
4) Some Day One Day
5) The Loser In The End

SIDE BLACK:

6) Ogre Battle
7) The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke
8) Nevermore
9) The March Of The Black Queen
10) Funny How Love Is
11) Seven Seas Of Rhye

For me, it's tough, because the whole album for the most part works so well cohesively and never loses steam.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Re: ALBUM SIDES: "QUEEN II" (1974)

Postby Kes » Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 am

A tough call, both sides are great, but if I had to choose, then Side Black, on the grounds that it's Freddie's first (and not "only") masterpiece.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Nicki79 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Easy choice: Side Black!
At any time, it simply has more drive. Side White is OK, but nothing special to me.

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Sat May 19, 2018 4:46 pm

'White Queen' is my favourite 'Queen II' song, but I suppose I'd go with the black side overall.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby BrandonSquared » Sat May 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Nicki79 wrote:Easy choice: Side Black!
At any time, it simply has more drive. Side White is OK, but nothing special to me.

NOTHING SPECIAL?! SACARLIGE! This is QUEEN II, man, not the first side of Hot Space!

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:16 pm

BrandonSquared wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:Easy choice: Side Black!

NOTHING SPECIAL?! SACARLIGE! This is QUEEN II, man, not the first side of Hot Space!

LOL. OK, I‘m convinced: Compared to some other albums it’s special. Compared to the Black side it’s not. ;)

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

Postby WeeMann » Sat May 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Kes wrote:A tough call, both sides are great, but if I had to choose, then Side Black, on the grounds that it's Freddie's first (and not "only") masterpiece.

I'm with you. There's not a duff track on the album, but if I have to pick a side it's Side Black. It flows beautifully, as if it were a single piece of music.

But it's a close thing.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby dazh » Sun May 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Side Black for me without a doubt Father To Son and White Queen are the only songs I like on Side White.

dazh
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 am

"SIDE BLACK!" cried the voice in my head upon reading the thread title.

And this is the choice I shall go for as others have said as a continues piece of music it's flippin' glorious.

However,
I 'll confess (2354736473 Hail Marys your Nunliness) that The White Side has grown on me considerably over time too. Yes, it's less consistent but it still has it's moments. 'Proscession/Father To Son', 'Some Day, One Day', which is just gorgeous and of course 'White Queen' oh and 'Loser In The End' are all stellar tracks.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby action » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:09 am

white side is seriously hindered by the brian / roger sung tracks. when they appear there is a shocking drop in vocal quality
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby BrandonSquared » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:52 am

action wrote:white side is seriously hindered by the brian / roger sung tracks. when they appear there is a shocking drop in vocal quality

I love Brian's aching, melancholy voice and it suits SDOD like a silk glove. And while Loser in the End isn't Roger's best song I still really like it, unlike many. I'm a fan of both voices even if they aren't near Freddie's in terms of emotional dimension or technical ability. I think giving each a lead on one side of the record gives it a nice variety.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:14 am

Couldn't agree more. Much as though some people might consider the Brian and Roger songs weaker vocally, than the songs Freddie sung, they give the earlier albums a counterpoint that make the albums stronger, in the same way that Beatles albums are stronger for having Paul, John, George and Ringo taking the lead vocals on different tracks.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sebastian » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 pm

That's something that makes A Night at the Opera rather lovely: you've got 'Car', then 'Best Friend' and then ''39', all with different lead singers and different arrangements for the harmonies. Of course, that also applies to the white side: there's one piece sung by Frederick, one by Roger, one by Frederick and Roger, one by Brian, and an instrumental. Talk about variety!

I still vote for the black side, but it's definitely close.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Side white for me.

May's writing feels more mature and cohesive across the side than Freddie's, (which is why I think Loser In the End jars a little, even though I love it). Funny How Love Is is a bad Larry Lurex/Beach Boys throwback and Seven Seas of Rhye feels out of place tagged on at the end. It should have started side black.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby BrandonSquared » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:51 pm

Peace Loving Guy wrote:Side white for me.

May's writing feels more mature and cohesive across the side than Freddie's, (which is why I think Loser In the End jars a little, even though I love it). Funny How Love Is is a bad Larry Lurex/Beach Boys throwback and Seven Seas of Rhye feels out of place tagged on at the end. It should have started side black.

I always wondered why Funny How...sounds so different vocally and musically from anything else Queen has done. It hardly sounds like Freddie and it's an odd throwback sound that they never did again. Was this actually one of Fred's Larry Lurex recordings? It sounds like it from his underdelvoped voice to the really muffled (more so than the rest of the album) sound quality. It's alright, it gets repetitive fast but I do love how Black Queen segues into it in a moment of elation - a joyous sound ends BQ and begins FHLI.

I actually don't mind Seven Seas being the final track, I always look forward to hearing it. Its a favorite and was a decent hit. Had it have been bigger (a la Killer Queen) it likely would have been placed earlier in the album.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Killer Queen