Queen - "Hang On In There"

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Queen - "Hang On In There"

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Mon May 21, 2018 11:13 pm

ImageImage

This was a track I hadn't given much time to for quite a few years. Which is odd, considering that I feel that The Miracle is their best '80s album by far and the one where Freddie and Queen finally got their shit back together after a lackluster 1981-1986.

So I finally gave this track a listen and damn - what a killer track. It's a crying shame that this wasn't on the album proper (I also say this for "Chinese Torture", cool instrumental from Brian) - because it would've made a great album even stronger.

The song changes throughout and some of the melodies are inventive and I love the production; very atmospheric.

I can see why "Hijack My Heart"/"Stealin"were left off, but not this gem. This song kicks - Brian is especially a highlight.

phpBB [video]

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Re: Queen - "Hang On In There"

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue May 22, 2018 8:57 am

My favourite thing about this song is that it retains some of the loose feel of the jam that it developed from. Stuff like Freddie calling out directions to Brian for the key change. We didn't often get to hear Queen just playing around like that.

Great song. Would be my favourite Miracle B-side if not for "My Life Has Been Saved".
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Action This Day » Tue May 22, 2018 1:05 pm

I always liked this track too, I bought IWIA on the day of release. Should really have been on the album instead of Rain Must Fall/My Baby Does Me. But perhaps Queen wanted to give the fans a new track since almost all the B-sides from the singles of the previous 5 years were album tracks.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby sebastian » Tue May 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Brian May wrote:‘It’s much more like the old days. On the first few albums the songs would grow into strange shapes. I don’t think any of the new songs escaped “the treatment.” We thought Hang on in There had gotten a bit too obscure. Devotees of the band would get off on it, but it’s not regular album material.’

Sounds - Published in May 1989

I agree it's a great song, much better than a few that actually made it to the album, but they had their reasons - which made sense at the time - not to put it there.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm

It's my favorite Queen B-side....on days I don't think my favorite is See What a Fool I've Been or Soul Brother, that is.

(I kinda don't think of SWAFIB as a B-side or a non-album track, since it was on the '91 Hollywood Records version of Queen II that I bought I-don't-know-how-many-times. But I do wonder why wasn't Soul Brother on the HR version of Hot Space instead of that Body Language remix that wasn't anything special)

But yeah, if I was making an "alternate version" of The Miracle, (which I did once or twice back in the days when people actually still burned CDs :lol:) I'd swap in HOIT for any one of a few songs.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am

I love it, my only complaint is that some of the bass is mixed lower compared to the demo version but with the right software it's easy to remedy that.

Should've been on the album for sure (but where?). Heck, even a single.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Echoplex » Thu May 24, 2018 12:48 pm

sebastian wrote:
Brian May wrote:‘It’s much more like the old days. On the first few albums the songs would grow into strange shapes. I don’t think any of the new songs escaped “the treatment.” We thought Hang on in There had gotten a bit too obscure. Devotees of the band would get off on it, but it’s not regular album material.’

Sounds - Published in May 1989

I agree it's a great song, much better than a few that actually made it to the album, but they had their reasons - which made sense at the time - not to put it there.

Great find, this interview. But doesn't it show that they had become a little too formularised in their writing, production and recording. In the 70's they would have run with the "obscure" nature of the song and that would have been the creative foundation on which they built.

The 80's lost so much of that thing where the early albums were musical journeys full of twists and turns in almost every song. At the time of release I thought Hang On In There, Was It All Worth It And I Want It All had definite links to the 70's style, and I still think HOIT is the best of those. Yes the sing along chorus radio friendly hits are what sent Queen to mega stardom and sales but I still always go back to the more interesting and to quote Brian "obscure".

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Thu May 24, 2018 3:29 pm

I think that's one of the things that made Queen so great, that they could do more "obscure" things like HOIT, but also straightforward "radio-friendly" songs like AOBTD or CTLCL for example. And of course they even managed to have some songs like BoRhap or Innuendo that were pretty adventurous but were hits as well. ("six bloody minutes!" :lol:)

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Should've been on the album for sure (but where?). Heck, even a single.

Technically it was on a single :P
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fosterol » Sat May 26, 2018 7:24 am

Great song, especially the change at the end. I particularly like the Miracle for the extra material, it had a good kinda summery vibe..

fosterol
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Sat May 26, 2018 3:32 pm

As per the "Queen For An Hour" interview with Mike Read, they had a number of tracks they had "floating around". This one arose out of the demo "Fiddley Jam", which many of you will have heard on various bootlegs. There's also an eleven minute version of "Stealin'" knocking around.

Was it really suited for the album? Maybe not. As Freddie pointed out about "My Baby Does Me" and "Rain Must Fall", "We wanted something a little less complicated and a little more pristine!"

They had enough ideas kicking around for the album, that got shit-canned or shelved, so I'd say they were fairly happy with what winded up on there, even if we weren't quite as happy as them, "Party", for example.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Frank » Sun May 27, 2018 11:40 am

I feel like the only fan who loves Party/Khashoggi's Ship. They're one of my favorite album openers. It's Queen letting it loose and just jamming. 8-)

As for Hang On In There, yeah, it's pretty awesome. I'd have picked it over MBDM and RMF. God there were so many great tracks that didn't make it to The Miracle. Stealin' and Hijack My Heart are personal favorites.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Sun May 27, 2018 11:46 am

They were trying to sell an album and they'd become focused on what the public would be expecting. I mean, there's always an element of surprise, but they were careful not to be too eccentric this time. And it makes sense: back in 1976, they could perform stuff such as 'Ogre Battle' and 'You Take My Breath Away' to a packed Hyde Park, but ten years later they felt they had to fill the Knebworth Park setlist with stuff like 'Ga Ga' and 'Break Free'. It was a different audience.

Back in the day, they wouldn't hesitate going for the obscure material, but as they became more commercial, they sacrificed quality for commercial appeal. It's not black and white, of course: I don't mean anything and everything that sold well was awful (of course it wasn't) or that anything and everything that didn't was magnificent (it wasn't), but there was a bit of a trend, and it'd began as far back as 'Jazz' and 'The Game'.

Not in vain, Brian and Frederick vetoed 'A Human Body' and went for 'Coming Soon' instead. The former is, in my estimation, a much better song, but allegedly they felt the album would've had one ballad too many in that case. At the end of the day, 'Rock It' and 'Coming Soon' were probably more suitable for a summer release, what with their general 'light' and straightforward message, rather than something about the Terra Nova expedition. A shame, still, as 'A Human Body' therefore missed out on being on the set-list (though 'Coming Soon' wasn't either, as far as we know), getting the 5.1 treatment, being mentioned by the band or the press (though, again, 'Coming Soon' rarely is), etc.

PS: Not keen on 'Khashoggi's', but I also like 'Party'. I don't love it, though - I just like it.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 pm

sebastian wrote:PS: Not keen on 'Khashoggi's', but I also like 'Party'. I don't love it, though - I just like it.

"Khashoggi's Ship" is a killer, rockin' little tune. Love Brian's guitar work, too. Such a fun track.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sun May 27, 2018 9:01 pm

I love HOIT. One of my favorites from their 80s output, and I play it when I need an uplift.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Next

Return to Killer Queen