When you listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and realize how.....

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

When you listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and realize how.....

Postby Another_Roger » Sun May 27, 2018 6:59 pm

....crazy good it is.

I am so used to the song of course. Most of the time I take it for granted. But something strange occures from time to time. And today it happened again. I sat in my new car listening to one of my playlists. Suddenly Bohemian Rhapsody came on. It was like I listened to it with new ears. I dont know if it was the new sound system in the car that triggered it. But when the song was over I just sat there in awe thinking: How on earth did Freddie come up with that song? And Brian May....the guitar parts he arranged for this composition is just beyond perfect. I just sat there thinking: I need to listen to the song again and again and again.

My favourite part of the song is actually the instrumental parts after "just gotta get right out of here". All those guitar and piano runs bringing the song til its final climax. Brian with all these amazing guitar harmonies. The part after the piano run starting with "ooooooh" and the guitar fanfare in triumph just makes me humble. What geniuses they were these guys. Not a band in the world could make a song like Bohemian Rhapsody. It is totally unique and it reminds me how special Queen and Freddie Mercury were.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Re: When you listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and realize how....

Postby sebastian » Mon May 28, 2018 12:13 pm

That's my favourite part as well. It's so grand, so perfect, and then it suddenly becomes to tiny and intimate, and still magnificent ('Magnifico-o-o-o-o' indeed).

I remember reading an essay about 'nobody's favourite author is Shakespeare', because Shakespeare was so larger than life that people (at least those close who the bloke who penned the essay) would immediately go for someone else. Well, I do know 'Bo Rhap' is a lot of people's favourite song, but it was never mine - not because I didn't love it (I do), but perhaps partly because it's so marvellous it's almost hard to grasp. It's been so many years and I still don't feel I 'get' how good it is.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Thu May 31, 2018 10:51 am

Bo Rhap is a song I've had a more tempestuous, complicated relationship with than any girlfiend, boyfriend or my estranged father over the years. :p

There are times I've loved it, hated, liked this bit but hated that bit, wished it was longer, wished it was shorter, you name it!

But take away all that and you have a song that has so many layers to it, both musically and thematically that you can't help but be intrigued by it.

There are times in my life, some very recent where the song has been a literal lifeline, where it's 'spoken' to me, made sense of a situation or just made me smile.

It'll always be there and I'll be honest, regardless of me despising it (unfairly, I think I hated it because it was popular) during my teenage years, I think even then I always had a fondness for it.

And I still do, every single second.

If fact, I'm just loading it up now to listen to on my way to get some lunch on this lovely mild day.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:43 am

For me, the greatest, life saving song I've ever heard. Maybe I ever will hear.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:35 pm

I still remember hearing Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time in late 1991 on the radio and saying to myself "What the hell is this!?" and hating it. :lol: I did not even know who Queen were at that particular point. I knew of 'We Will Rock You', 'Champions' and 'Another one Bites the Dust', but not who necessarily sang them.

With that being said, little did I know how I would become an absolute out of control Queen fanatic just a few months later after purchasing 'Classic Queen' a month before the tribute concert; which was solely due to the fact that I specifically went to buy "the album" with 'We Will Rock You' on it for our baseball league. Unfortunately for me (or fortunately, as I look back on it in retrospect) the shop did not have it, so instead of leaving with nothing, I ironically purchased 'Classic Queen' because it had that horrible Bohemian Rhapsody song on it, along with another album. Later that evening I put the disc into the player and listened to it, while skipping over Bohemian Rhapsody, and quickly recognized Under Pressure and thinking the compilation of songs up to Who Wants to Live Forever were pretty good, but then... The Show Must Go On happened, and once again, after it finished I said to myself "What the hell was THAT!!", but this time in a totally different context.

This was pretty much where the obsession began, because I wound up replaying The Show Must Go On over and over again, just floored by his vocal ability. This in turn opened up my ears, and thus changed my perception of the album as a whole when I re-listened to it again the next day, taking in his voice during the songs completely this time around, and suddenly understanding how extraordinary Bohemian Rhapsody was.
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby stagnation » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:51 am

I am one of the few who wouldn't be bothered if i didn't hear the song ever again (and also 'Don't Stop Me Now').

It just seems too overplayed now. I think there are better songs that came before it - like the whole of 'Side Black'' of Queen II. It's only because of the runaway success it became after the initial radio airplay it has gained that stature it has become.

I also feel that 'A Night At The Opera' was quite a mediocre album. I think 'Sheer Heart Attack' is more or less the perfect Queen album from this period. ANATO just seems to bloated and because it has 'that song' at the end of it ends up in the 'Classic Album' lists where as the what became before it are often overlooked - all the previous albums really show what the band could really do in the studio.

Feel free to hang me at the stake for saying the above :D

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:49 pm

stagnation wrote:I am one of the few who wouldn't be bothered if i didn't hear the song ever again (and also 'Don't Stop Me Now').

It just seems too overplayed now. I think there are better songs that came before it - like the whole of 'Side Black'' of Queen II. It's only because of the runaway success it became after the initial radio airplay it has gained that stature it has become.

I also feel that 'A Night At The Opera' was quite a mediocre album. I think 'Sheer Heart Attack' is more or less the perfect Queen album from this period. ANATO just seems to bloated and because it has 'that song' at the end of it ends up in the 'Classic Album' lists where as the what became before it are often overlooked - all the previous albums really show what the band could really do in the studio.

Feel free to hang me at the stake for saying the above :D

There will be no hanging from the stake from me!

I've always thought that ANATO was overrated in the Queen catalogue. Main reason being there is too much messing around with silliness. Seaside Rendezvous , Lazing and Good Company is too much of a 'twee' thing for me on one album. Now don't get me wrong I love em all individually but not all on one album . The balance is too sweet for my taste

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Return to Killer Queen