Queen: The eYe - Anyone Got It?

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Queen: The eYe - Anyone Got It?

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Always been really curious about this game (although admittedly not enough to actually track down a copy).

By all accounts it was pretty awful, but I've always kinda wanted to hear the remixed instrumental tracks produced especially for it. More so after the game's version of "Fight from the Inside" cropped up in the News of the World set; you could really hear the remixing that had been done.

I'm sure at least someone on these forums has it. Thoughts?

p.s. Apologies if there's already a thread for the game on here; annoyingly "the eye" is too brief and generic a phrase for the search function to look for.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Queen: The eYe - Anyone Got It?

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:10 pm

I've got it.

Could never really play it any sense, because on the set up I had, it meant using a keyboard to play it, and I never really got the hang of games like that.

Love the music though. It was put on the CD's so you could play the music on a regular CD player, just skip the first track that was a data track. From that aspect, it's worth tracking it down for anybody who wants to expand their Queen music collection, for the good.

As a point of note, there's a few PlayStation 1 games knocking around that have the music on them mastered in such a way that they play on regular CD players. Rise Of The Robots 2 is one such game, and you can play Brian's track Cyborg the same way.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby BitterTears » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:52 pm

The game was awful and extremely hard. You had to quick save after almost ever hit and then reload when you got hit. Just wasn't good at all.

I'm kind of surprised it doesn't come up more often because there's some interesting things on the CDs. They are mostly instrumentals but still worth tracking down.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby eiricd » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Have it. Wonderful memories. Extremely hard to play - remember my brother and I both at the keyboard to be able to make certain moves etc.
took a while before I realized the CDs would play on a regular player - and it was really cool to get the instrumentals

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 am

Kes wrote:Love the music though. It was put on the CD's so you could play the music on a regular CD player, just skip the first track that was a data track. From that aspect, it's worth tracking it down for anybody who wants to expand their Queen music collection, for the good.

Yeah, that's basically the thing that has my attention.

As I said, my interest was piqued again recently by hearing the game's version of "Fight from the Inside" in the News of the World box. I immediately noticed the instrumental sounded a little bit different to the regular song's backing track, and it took me a while to twig that it was the remix done for the game.

Looking quickly on eBay, I can see a few of the art books for sale (and a novel; they novelised it?!) but no copies of the game itself.

Kes wrote:As a point of note, there's a few PlayStation 1 games knocking around that have the music on them mastered in such a way that they play on regular CD players. Rise Of The Robots 2 is one such game, and you can play Brian's track Cyborg the same way.

The majority of PlayStation 1 games did that, as far as I'm aware. I don't think it was ever an advertised feature, but they routinely included the game's music in a regular audio CD format on the game disc.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:16 am

In that particular case, I think the ROTR2 game was available 18 months or so before Brian released the Another World album, so at the time, it really was worth getting the game, if only for the music.

I should add that someone bootlegged a lot of the tracks from "The eYe", so if all else fails, you might find an "unofficial" CD set knocking around Ebay, but personally, I'd try and chase the real set.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:47 am

There is one on Amazon for £45.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby BitterTears » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:The majority of PlayStation 1 games did that, as far as I'm aware. I don't think it was ever an advertised feature, but they routinely included the game's music in a regular audio CD format on the game disc.

IIRC most early PSOne games did this but got less and less as time went on.

Also, this worked both ways, depending on the game. Remember playing Ridge Racer and once the track loaded up, you could put in an audio CD and listen to your own music being played through the game although you didn't have any real control of the tracks or even where in the track it would start.

Course now being able to play your own music through a game is build in at system level. How boring!

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Return to Killer Queen