ALBUM SIDES: "SHEER HEART ATTACK" (1974)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

ALBUM SIDES: "SHEER HEART ATTACK" (1974)

Postby BrandonSquared » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Which side of the record is your favorite, or the side you think is generally better (if it's possible)?

SIDE ONE:
1) Brighton Rock
2) Killer Queen
3) Tenement Funster
4) Flick Of The Wrist
5) Lily Of The Valley
6) Now I'm Here

SIDE TWO

7) In The Lap Of The Gods
8 - Stone Cold Crazy
9) Dear Friends
10) Misfire
11) Bring Back That Leroy Brown
12) She Makes Me
13) In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited

One of their best albums of course and each side loaded with gems.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Re: ALBUM SIDES: "SHEER HEART ATTACK" (1974)

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Both sides are excellent, a very well balanced album, but once again, I think the second side just edges it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby BrandonSquared » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:16 am

Kes wrote:Both sides are excellent, a very well balanced album, but once again, I think the second side just edges it.

For me, the second side is brought down a small peg with the infusion of She Makes Me which I think adds to the dark, brooding atmosphere but is still interminably boring. Easily my least favorite Brian lead.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Postby devogue » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 am

I agree about She Makes Me, but even with that Side 2 is phenomenal.

However, for me Side 1 is arguably the greatest side of any Queen album, and certainly the best balanced.

Brighton Rock is in my top three Queen tracks...it’s has everything. The guitar segueing out of the weirdly creepy fairground/seaside intro, the nod to the eponymous book with the incredibly evocative characterisation within Freddie’s vocals, a drum track of such creativity that John Bonham (with all due deference) would be left in its wake, thunderously perfect, tight bass from John, a guitar solo for the years, and a rock god coda of such blinding intensity I don’t think it will ever be matched. Can you tell I like it? :)

The perfect silk/velvet texture of Killer Queen then floods the senses with aural white chocolate, a glorious antidote to the raw steak of Brighton Rock. The lyrics, the libretto are/is astounding. It’s difficult to patch the Greatest Hits back in to their album positions (does anyone else forward them like me? :oops: ) but Killer Queen sits just perfectly on SHA.

The moody, bluesy tang of Tenement Funster adds a much needed splash of gritty citrus, then Lily of the Valley just enchants with its unabashed prettiness. Of course, we all celebrate Freddie’s continued development as a songwriter through his career, but Lily is the last of his truly gorgeous stand alone slices of harmonic whimsy (along with Nevermore).

Flick of the Wrist is so seventies...it’s dated in a way that is so good; almost sci-fi infused yet sweeping and rich like Prog Rock Barbara Streisand. A truly delicious jewel in the Queen catalogue.

And then Now I’m Here, the bookend of Side 1 - with Brighton Rock it stands as one of two monstrous Greek pillars buttressing the sea of invention between. All of the promise of Liar, Son and Daughter and Father to Son is captured and distilled in to sheer diamond hard brilliance. Listen to it again, sweep away the Greatest Hitness and really listen. The staggering drum intro...then a guitar riff of such complexity, such rhythmic and melodic richness that you have to question how Brian May came up with it. Listen again...it’s so weirdly unique...

Yup...it’s side 1 for me :cool: :biggrin:

devogue
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:02 am

Of all of Queen's albums, this is the one where I've never really understood all the fuss.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BrandonSquared » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:Of all of Queen's albums, this is the one where I've never really understood all the fuss.

Really? This is Queen in the middle of their classic era with an array of big hits and gleaming album cut gems, mixed together to create magic. Especially when compared to the 80s stuff this is basically a flawless masterpiece. I'm just surprised that a big Queen fan is nonplussed by such a seminal record, for both Queen and the 70s.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Postby BrandonSquared » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 pm

devogue wrote:I agree about She Makes Me, but even with that Side 2 is phenomenal.

However, for me Side 1 is arguably the greatest side of any Queen album, and certainly the best balanced.

Brighton Rock is in my top three Queen tracks...it’s has everything. The guitar segueing out of the weirdly creepy fairground/seaside intro, the nod to the eponymous book with the incredibly evocative characterisation within Freddie’s vocals, a drum track of such creativity that John Bonham (with all due deference) would be left in its wake, thunderously perfect, tight bass from John, a guitar solo for the years, and a rock god coda of such blinding intensity I don’t think it will ever be matched. Can you tell I like it? :)

The perfect silk/velvet texture of Killer Queen then floods the senses with aural white chocolate, a glorious antidote to the raw steak of Brighton Rock. The lyrics, the libretto are/is astounding. It’s difficult to patch the Greatest Hits back in to their album positions (does anyone else forward them like me? :oops: ) but Killer Queen sits just perfectly on SHA.

The moody, bluesy tang of Tenement Funster adds a much needed splash of gritty citrus, then Lily of the Valley just enchants with its unabashed prettiness. Of course, we all celebrate Freddie’s continued development as a songwriter through his career, but Lily is the last of his truly gorgeous stand alone slices of harmonic whimsy (along with Nevermore).

Flick of the Wrist is so seventies...it’s dated in a way that is so good; almost sci-fi infused yet sweeping and rich like Prog Rock Barbara Streisand. A truly delicious jewel in the Queen catalogue.

And then Now I’m Here, the bookend of Side 1 - with Brighton Rock it stands as one of two monstrous Greek pillars buttressing the sea of invention between. All of the promise of Liar, Son and Daughter and Father to Son is captured and distilled in to sheer diamond hard brilliance. Listen to it again, sweep away the Greatest Hitness and really listen. The staggering drum intro...then a guitar riff of such complexity, such rhythmic and melodic richness that you have to question how Brian May came up with it. Listen again...it’s so weirdly unique...

Yup...it’s side 1 for me :cool: :biggrin:

Holy shit, I love it! Great analysis! Do one for Side 2 now, I like your style.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Return to Killer Queen