ALBUM SIDES: "A NIGHT AT THE OPERA" (1975)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Which side do you prefer?

SIDE 1
60%
SIDE 2
40%

Total votes : 5

ALBUM SIDES: "A NIGHT AT THE OPERA" (1975)

Postby BrandonSquared » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:26 am

Which side of this mammoth classic do you like over the other, if possible?

SIDE 1
1) Death On Two Legs
2) Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon
3) I'm In Love With My Car
4) You're My Best Friend
5) '39
6) Sweet Lady
7) Seaside Rendevouz

SIDE 2:
8 - The Prophet's Song
9) Love Of My Life
10) Good Company
11) Bohemian Rhapsody
12) God Save The Queen.

Such a strong album but despite the anchoring monolith
that is Bohemain Rhapsody I think I would choose side one.
The variety of the tracks and the moods covered is breathtaking
and dreamlike (the two Marx bros titled albums share this quality) and it moves along swiftly without
ever feeling rushed. Side two is just as brilliant and has a denser, more brooding atmosphere which I adore,
but I just like the shifts of tone of the first side just a bit more.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Re: ALBUM SIDES: "A NIGHT AT THE OPERA" (1975)

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Although Side 2 contains Love Of My Life, Good Company and Bo Rhap I'd have to say that Side 1 gets the edge for me.

The album opens strong with a venomous yet sophisticated diatribe on Norman Sheffield in Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To.....). It's the right way to start such an album. A slow, cautious build up in the piano intro, which winds pack the fist and then when the guitars kick in, it packs a wallop all the way through to the end. Unrelentingly savage, forceful and with a fork-tongued flourish of wicked wit, it certainly makes an impression.

Just as the opener reaches it's close and we're gasping for air, a jangly piano playfully greets us, offering us a helping hand and a sweet, light refreshment. It's the endearing Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon. Short but very sweet and a perfectly playful account of a week in the life of a Walter Mitty type, it compliments the opener very well in a giddy sort of way. It's almost like having someone shoot you and then kiss the bullet wound better, a lovely, lovely track.

As soon as that cheerful diddy ditty ends, the right-hand winds back, not to deliver a punch this time but a hearty handshake leading into the bear-like grip of a man-hug. This testosterone and petrol fuelled frenzy is I'm In Love With My Car. Effortlessly cool with an irresistible rough side, this tale of a man's fascination with his car cruises along nicely thanks to Roger's gruff yet endearing vocal. A nice way to end a curious little suite of sorts. Each song radically different but they fit together really nicely.

Then we have You're My Best Friend, an incredibly light and breezy track which again, carries a sort of contrast to the one we've just heard. One of Deacon's best songs, it's very sweet without being overly soppy or saccharine and carries a lovely bounce to it that one can't help but smile at.

Another song, another shift and from a light lovey-dovey affair to a brooding, mildly maudlin masterpiece in '39. Sad, but by no means downbeat, this foot-stompin' Skiffle track revels in the dissonance between lyrics and music and is all the better for it. One of Brian's best.

From skiffle to a heavier sound now with Sweet Lady. It's head-noddingly catchy and builds up to a chaotic but engaging climax and (again, it's a pattern here) Rocker Brian a great contrast to Philosophical Brian we had on the previous track but there's something off about this track that I can't quite put my finger on.
It might be that sweet smelling cheese.

After that potent whiff of good ol' cheese, the jangly piano flirtatiously waves it's hanky at us again, ooh the dandy! Yes, this is Seaside Rendezvous, a giddy, slice of music-hall that evokes images of a lovely holiday romance by the sea. Delightfully daft (that vocal brass/woodwind section is utterly charming, not to mention the tap-dancing) and a great showcase of Freddie's sense of humour this track remains one of my all time favourites is a cheerful way to end side one.

You've read all that? Blimey!

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby hotspace1966 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Side 2 Prophet Song...nuff said

lol

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Despite Bo Rhap being on side two I'd have to go with side one overall.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Return to Killer Queen