Freddie over-singing live in the 80s?

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Freddie over-singing live in the 80s?

Postby Wild/Wind » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:10 am

Freddie's voice peaked in 80s. Mack recorded the best way his vocals. The disappointment is that in the 80s they wrote clever songs and lot of fillers.... So Freddie's voice was not used the best way.

In the mid 80s 84-86 Freddie tried to sing less soft, sweet in his tone instead of more powerful and stronger way of singing.

During 1988 his vocals become again soft and sweet, songs like Heaven for everyone or Face it alone. The same did for the Miracle album but the mix is bad. The Miracle needs to be remixed along with Jazz and Live Killers.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:21 am

action wrote:In the 80's they had seriously hard rocking songs like the ones I listed, and also live, the focus was shifting from piano to guitar and a hard rock voice

There is no way you're going to sell me that the '80s was when Queen got to rockin'. Sorry. Not gonna happen.

Every heavy Queen '70s tune downright creams over the ones you listed with one or two exceptions.

Queen became pop at most in the '80s.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby action » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:09 am

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:
action wrote:In the 80's they had seriously hard rocking songs like the ones I listed, and also live, the focus was shifting from piano to guitar and a hard rock voice

There is no way you're going to sell me that the '80s was when Queen got to rockin'. Sorry. Not gonna happen.

Every heavy Queen '70s tune downright creams over the ones you listed with one or two exceptions.

Queen became pop at most in the '80s.

80's Queen had many pop songs. On the albums.

Live, their performance can hardly be described as "pop" or even "pop rock".

Tracks like "i want to break free", which is a standard pop song on the album, is dramatically rocked up live.

Freddie went all out hard rock with his voice in the '80s. it is well documented that freddie left the piano behind to focus on the performance. it all made for a snappier, harder experience.

I'm sorry, but I don't feel it when people say Queen live in the 80s was pop rock. They easily outplayed led zeppelin at their best. no one shouts harder than freddie. plant is a school girl in comparison
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:30 am

action wrote:Freddie went all out hard rock with his voice in the '80s. it is well documented that freddie left the piano behind to focus on the performance. it all made for a snappier, harder experience.

I'm sorry, but I don't feel it when people say Queen live in the 80s was pop rock.

Freddie's voice got rougher with smoking - and he was barking a bit more. That's about it. It sure didn't correlate to a heavier musical direction. He sure didn't use that voice on the bubblegum Mr. Bad Guy.

Freddie leaving the piano behind to showboat around doesn't make it more rock and roll. It also didn't help that they started using synthesizers in the place of the piano, so.

"I'm sorry, but I don't feel it when people say Queen live in the 80s was pop rock."

I agree! There was hardly any rock in there.

"They easily outplayed led zeppelin at their best. no one shouts harder than freddie. plant is a school girl in comparison"

Man, you've got some odd opinions.

People don't like Freddie for his shouting, by the way.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby BrandonSquared » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:06 am

I just heard the Sheer Heart Attack album and quite a few of those songs I much prefer the live versions of from that live era. I think Q2 and SHA are both albums that have amazing studio performances but sometimes have better live ones (Rainbow, Odeon) that sound richer, more lively, and with even better sound quality - that's a contrast, especially to their 80s performances where things were much tighter and potent in the studio.

I think I would possibly like some live versions more of both decades if some of those shows were released in top-tier quality like those Rainbow and Odeon ones. It's a treat to watch decent quality live shows but if the sound is long full and clear then I can't ever enjoy it the way I could the studio cut, nor call it a definitive version for me. That's why I can't hear those muffled bootlegs or watch many of those blurry live shows, how can you enjoy it and prefer something you can barely make out?

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Postby devogue » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:43 am

I’d love to hear a One Vision 1985 studio Freddie tackle Stone Cold Crazy.

devogue
Spread Your Wings

Postby BrandonSquared » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:41 pm

devogue wrote:I’d love to hear a One Vision 1985 studio Freddie tackle Stone Cold Crazy.

I think his 74 versions were perfectly done as is. SCC sounded great in the studio and live (being short helps).

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Killer Queen