Live Aid 33 years ago today but......

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Live Aid 33 years ago today but......

Postby hardwired » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:00 am

...in Brian's FB timeline he refers to a TV appearance talking about badgers in 2010 as "Today in Queen history". He either continues losing it completely (his rants on brianmay.com clearly show sometimes) or he is completely erasing Freddie and Queen from his mind. I still say he was always envious about Freddie being the main focus of the band.

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Re: Live Aid 33 years ago today but......

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:05 pm

hardwired wrote:...in Brian's FB timeline he refers to a TV appearance talking about badgers in 2010 as "Today in Queen history". He either continues losing it completely (his rants on brianmay.com clearly show sometimes) or he is completely erasing Freddie and Queen from his mind. I still say he was always envious about Freddie being the main focus of the band.

I would suggest that Brian is a man who stands by his convictions - and in this celebrity-obsessed age, I am pleased he continues to use his name to help save defenceless creatures. I have nothing but utter respect for the man and what he stands for.

Trouble is, it is easy to sit in your armchair and criticise him for this, that or the other. He is actually going out in the world to try to make it a better place (in whichever small way he can). You strike me as the polar opposite of him: negative, waspish and, I must say - after reading your sentence concerning him erasing Freddie and Queen from his mind - a bit confused.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby action » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 pm

I agree.

also, may I remember you lot that Brian is but a side figure in the band. Freddie was and is the "general", the attraction of the show. Brian, was not, not ever.

brian's vocals are screeching and horrific. His guitar playing skills are incredibly dull. He manages to make a guitar sound not sexy.

take a band like GNR, and you have two main attractions: Axl and Slash. you have keith and mick. john and paul.

but not "freddie and brian". that's just plain ridiculous. Freddie was Queen, and Queen was freddie. Hell, joe casual thinks freddie was called Queen, I've actually heard that mentioning once. should tell you something.

Such was brian's ego, that he had to sing a couple of songs on Queen albums, and those songs have suffered ever since. Only now, 30 years on, has he the audacity to slowly release the freddie versions of these songs, but hidden in expensive boxsets. The man is an absolute abomination
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:37 pm

action wrote:I agree.

also, may I remember you lot that Brian is but a side figure in the band. Freddie was and is the "general", the attraction of the show. Brian, was not, not ever.

brian's vocals are screeching and horrific. His guitar playing skills are incredibly dull. He manages to make a guitar sound not sexy.

take a band like GNR, and you have two main attractions: Axl and Slash. you have keith and mick. john and paul.

but not "freddie and brian". that's just plain ridiculous. Freddie was Queen, and Queen was freddie. Hell, joe casual thinks freddie was called Queen, I've actually heard that mentioning once. should tell you something.

Such was brian's ego, that he had to sing a couple of songs on Queen albums, and those songs have suffered ever since. Only now, 30 years on, has he the audacity to slowly release the freddie versions of these songs, but hidden in expensive boxsets. The man is an absolute abomination

Whatever your opinion, he is a moral and decent soul who actually gives a fuck about animals and stands up for them (while others take the piss out of him). He is a true man: strong-minded, convicted and he walks his own path.

You two can slate him as much as you like. I'd love to see either of you achieve one percent of what he has.

And, Action, you do not get to decide who made up Queen. And Freddie would have told you from the off that he was not the general, but just a part of the band - a very special part, but still only that.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sharon20 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:45 pm

hardwired wrote:...in Brian's FB timeline he refers to a TV appearance talking about badgers in 2010 as "Today in Queen history". He either continues losing it completely (his rants on brianmay.com clearly show sometimes) or he is completely erasing Freddie and Queen from his mind. I still say he was always envious about Freddie being the main focus of the band.

You do realize Brian doesn't manage that facebook page and isn't responsible for the order they post those Queen history posts in. When you click the link the Live Aid part is there.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Brian May's website regularly posts "Today in Queen history" notes, which outline anything that the four members of Queen did. When the time comes, they'll mention John Deacon produced singles, or Freddie appearing on Kenny Everett etc.

Brian is a member of Queen, and on Friday 13th 2010 he was on television. That's fine to mention.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:04 am

You're freaking crazy, man. Remember, for one thing, Freddie himself said Queen was a band of "four equal guys" or however he worded it, 8n response to some interviewer calling him "the leader of Queen" or something. I mean, sure, the lead singer of any band is inevitably going to be the focal point, especially when it's someone as utterly amazing as Freddie was...but Queen wouldn't have been Queen without any of the other three guys.

I kinda hate to be this guy almost (the "knowitall cuz I used to dabble" :lol:)...but I've played guitar myself, for quite a few years, and Brian is a damn hell of a good guitar player and just a great musician to boot...a great composer who wrote some of the band's enduring songs, and I'd even say I really like his occasional turn on lead vocals. I don't know if you've read those sort of things, but Brian does score pretty damn high whenever there's a "best guitarists" poll.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:11 am

We might disagree on quite a few things, musicalprostitute, but I have to say I wholeheartedly approve of your last post. :thumbsup:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Peavy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:41 am

Can't take people seriously who think Queen only existed of Freddie or think bad of Brian's guitar skills/sound...that's all I say to this.

Is this really a Queen forum, WTH?!? :shock:

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby hardwired » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:08 am

QUite shocking reading actions posting. I agreee Freddie was the main man but Brian was not too far behind. What I was trying to say was that Brian was always a bit envious of Freddie - I think the often had a row in the studio and Frddie was closer to John and Roger than with Brian. "Dull guitar skills" is laughable

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:09 am

Absolutely agree The_KingofRhye, Peavy, musicalprostitute, Without the others Queen wouldn't sound the same, they are the sum of their parts, all equally important.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:13 pm

I am genuinely shocked to read action's opinion. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just taking a piss, because his thoughts certainly aren't shared by any Queen fans I'm aware of. But hey, to each their own if that's really how he sees the band.

The band has always been four equal parts to me. I believed that even before watching Freddie's interview where he shoots down the illusion that he's the general. For me, the band has always been the bringing together of four very strong musicians. We all know that they were always best together. The chemistry worked.

Anyway, Brian is a good man. Not a perfect man, mind you. But a good one nonetheless. I've admired his non-music related endeavors. At least he's trying to make the world a better place! But I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish he'd put more time into his music career. Touring and all that is great. But it'd be awesome if he went back into the studio and recorded new material (other than his Kerry collaboration). I know that's selfish of me to say, but I'm guessing I'm not alone. Again, good on Brian for dedicating his time to help animals. He's got his heart in a good place.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby nicksmithworld » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:58 pm

I assume you are trolling, if not, you are a stupid fucking tone deaf twat.
‘...and I find myself thinkin', well, what would you do?’

nicksmithworld
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:49 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:We might disagree on quite a few things, musicalprostitute, but I have to say I wholeheartedly approve of your last post. :thumbsup:

Well, we can agree on some things...

...let's just not make a habit of it. :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:52 am

nicksmithworld wrote:I assume you are trolling, if not, you are a stupid fucking tone deaf twat.

The trouble with you is that you simply do not say what you mean. :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to Killer Queen