Live Aid 33 years ago today but......

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Live Aid 33 years ago today but......

Postby Sir Didymus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:00 pm

I think Joe Public - certainly in the UK and most of Europe - is more likely to know Brian's riffs than half of Action's list.

Even just looking at Greatest Hits I + II, you've got:

* Bohemian Rhapsody [come on. EVERYBODY knows that riff.]
* Fat Bottomed Girls
* Crazy Little Thing Called Love
* We Will Rock You [again, everybody knows this one for certain.]
* A Kind Of Magic
* Hammer to Fall
* One Vision

But tbh, Brian's not just famous for his 'riffs'. His guitar work goes beyond a catchy riff every now and then, and provides depth to Queen's musical arrangements that a lot of his contemporaries didn't provide because they were too busy showboating how fast their fingers were. Not to mention a lot of Brian's best compositions are ballads - Save Me, Who Wants To Live Forever etc.

And Brian also had a fairly decent stab at a solo career. Driven by You and Too Much Love Will Kill You were massive hits, and Back to the Light sold stupendously well. Shame the campaign for Another World was so half-arsed on EMI's part that there was very little actual promotion for it, because he could've easily have had another hit there...
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:24 am

Well, to be fair, is Crazy Little Thing Called Love really "Brian's riff"? The recognizable rhythm guitar part was composed and performed by Freddie. But anyway, yeah, Brian's got an arsenal of famous riffs to his credit for sure. But I think perhaps the best thing I can say in his credit (and I dare say he might agree) is that he wrote some songs that were hugely successful. Like I said before, WWRY. I mean, as simple as that song is, it's freaking immortal.

Also, there's something that I thought was very astute that a guy said who I knew and who I used to talk quite extensively about who our favorite guitar players, singers, and so forth were. He said "it's not a competition."

I mean, sure, we can sit here and argue about who's the best at this and that, and that's even kinda fun to do...but what the hell difference does that really make? The ultimate goal of being a musician, performing music, is - or at least should be, in my opinion, to attract and connect with an audience. Same for any other kind of performer or artist.

OK, rant done! :lol:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Wild/Wind » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 am

Last edited by Wild/Wind on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby Wild/Wind » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:22 am

I was not going to post here, since I find Action's post childish. But I would like to say that Queen specially Freddie and Brian are very respected and recognized by other artists, bands from all the genres of music.

Some Brian's lick and riffs,
Stone cold crazy
Now I'm here
Tie your mother down
we will rock you
Guitar lick of We are the champions
Fat bottomed girls
One vision
Also in the 90s Princes of the universe
I Want it all

Queen are one of the few bands who can be recognizable from different music intros. Few examples,

Bass : Under pressure and AOBTD, You don't fool me (it was in 90s)
Vocals :Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody to love
Piano : DSMN
Drums, Percussion : TATDOOL, WWRY live, Flash theme
Synth: IWTBF, TSMGO

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Well, to be fair, is Crazy Little Thing Called Love really "Brian's riff"? The recognizable rhythm guitar part was composed and performed by Freddie.

To be honest, I was referring to his solo more than anything, having seen many a drunk person in a bar try to imitate it vocally. :lol:
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:37 pm

I'll admit that as I kid and through my early teens, I was all Freddie, didn't give the others a look in. But as I grew over time, I realised the sheer brilliance of the other members of the group bought to the table just from a song perspective for example.

Roger's gravelly tales of Rock n' Roll and youthful extravagance.

Deacy's bouncy pop and funk.

And I'm not much for Ballads, but no man, not even Freddie (on occasion) can better Brian at a ballad.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby brokenship » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:06 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:You want 5 recognisable Brian May riffs Action?

1) Tie Your Mother Down
2) Liar
3) Keep Yourself Alive
4) Hammer To Fall
5) Stone Cold Crazy

And I'm sorry, but underplaying the contributions of the band like you do is rather disrespectful.

The band were a sum of their parts with each member bringing their own talents together to create music that holds up almost 50 years after it was first made, now that's quite a feat for any band but for a band that were slated by the music press during their heyday to have the last laugh today is pretty fucking special.

Those songs are not known by the majority of people. They're nowhere near the level of popularity of BoRhap, Another One Bites The Dust, Under Pressure, Radio Gaga, Kind of Magic, I Want To Break Free, We Are The Champions and We Will Rock You.

brokenship
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Killer Queen