Live Aid 33 years ago today but......

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Live Aid 33 years ago today but......

Postby action » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:24 pm

https://www.kursaaloostende.be/nl/beatl ... n-symphony

"the beatles and Queen"

except, only freddie is shown next to the four beatles

just another thing that should tell you, that Queen was all about freddie. brian / roger / john are mere backing musicians, and 99% of the crowd didn't pay attention to them. brian's solo was loo time, roger's solo was beer time. freddies vocal play with the crowd was the highlight of the show.

the other three are nothing. nothing, I tell you. Stop deluding yourself. They are barely reckognised in the rock scene. Queen is fondly remembered, because of freddie, and freddie alone. He's the general, he's the reason Queen was the hottest ticket in their time.

Wake the fuck up :roll:
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:14 pm

action wrote: He's the general, he's the reason Queen was the hottest ticket in their time.

Although the man himself would have disagreed with you completely (even stating that he was 'not the general'); I think I'll believe the man who fronted the group, thanks.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby action » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:33 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
action wrote: He's the general, he's the reason Queen was the hottest ticket in their time.

Although the man himself would have disagreed with you completely (even stating that he was 'not the general'); I think I'll believe the man who fronted the group, thanks.

freddie can say what he want, it doesnt make it true.

I'll evaluate freddie's importance myself, thanks
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:48 pm

action wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Although the man himself would have disagreed with you completely (even stating that he was 'not the general'); I think I'll believe the man who fronted the group, thanks.

Well, it certainly makes it far more likely. I mean the man even stated he was not the general - the absolute opposite of your line.

Freddie was the reason for much of Queen's success, I feel. But it still would not be Queen without Brian's guitar - that's just damn obvious. Yes, he was the focal point. Yes, I believe he pushed Queen forward and kept them in the public eye, etc. But left to his own devices? Well, just have a spin of Mr Bad Guy (an album with some strong tracks on - many of which I adore): a good album as far as I am concerned, but production-wise pretty poor and it sounds far more dated than most of the Queen albums.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:40 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
action wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Although the man himself would have disagreed with you completely (even stating that he was 'not the general'); I think I'll believe the man who fronted the group, thanks.

Well, it certainly makes it far more likely. I mean the man even stated he was not the general - the absolute opposite of your line.

Freddie was the reason for much of Queen's success, I feel. But it still would not be Queen without Brian's guitar - that's just damn obvious. Yes, he was the focal point. Yes, I believe he pushed Queen forward and kept them in the public eye, etc. But left to his own devices? Well, just have a spin of Mr Bad Guy (an album with some strong tracks on - many of which I adore): a good album as far as I am concerned, but production-wise pretty poor and it sounds far more dated than most of the Queen albums.

freddie was talking bollox when he said he wasn't the general. just look at the objective facts, and take off those fanboy glasses. freddie shot smile to stratospheric levels when he joined the other two (smile was going nowhere even with brian's supposed talent), freddie wrote bohemian rhapsody; we are the champions, he single handedly regained much of Queen's lost success after live aid to the point where the cameramen didn't really pay attention to the other 3 at all, and one may argue it was for the better, and the magic tour was just that: pure magic. the focal point of freddie's live performance.

you have freddie who is consistently voted best vocalist ever, but brian and roger hardly make their respective lists. that honor would go to hendrix, keef, page, iommi, slash or bonham, moon and the likes.

lol, brian and roger do not even touch the level of impact that freddie reached in his department.

freddies image sells. brian on the other hand, looks like your grandma and is as sexy as her in brown stockings.

freddie could join any band and it would still be legendary. brian and roger, as the facts have shown, have achieved nothing, absolutely nothing since freddie left us.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Sir Didymus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:24 pm

action wrote:https://www.kursaaloostende.be/nl/beatles-queen-symphony

"the beatles and Queen"

except, only freddie is shown next to the four beatles

just another thing that should tell you, that Queen was all about freddie. brian / roger / john are mere backing musicians, and 99% of the crowd didn't pay attention to them. brian's solo was loo time, roger's solo was beer time. freddies vocal play with the crowd was the highlight of the show.

the other three are nothing. nothing, I tell you. Stop deluding yourself. They are barely reckognised in the rock scene. Queen is fondly remembered, because of freddie, and freddie alone. He's the general, he's the reason Queen was the hottest ticket in their time.

Wake the fuck up :roll:

Mate. You believe Axl Rose is respected in the rock scene. GNR is all about Slash and Duff, and people think of Axl as that bloated pillock who makes people wait 4 hours for a show, before they remember his fun but screechy, murdered cat vocals these days.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Steve Vai on Brian:

I don't think enough is really said about the brilliance of Brian May's guitar playing, in the sense that it's overshadowed by the music itself. The Queen II album was one of those pivotal moments that just nailed me to the wall.

"He's probably one of the top identifiable guitar players, even more so than Beck, Page, and Clapton. They're all so identifiable, but Brian May has such a tone in his head and in his fingers. It speaks volumes. His contribution to orchestrated guitars is unprecedented. There was nothing like it before him. To me, it was like when Edward Van Halen came along and reshaped the sound of electric guitar. That's what I heard in Brian May's playing. It's something that's inherent in the brain of the guitar player.

"He's a class act from head to toe, and it shows in his playing. I can listen to any player and pantomime their sound, but I can't do Brian May. He's just walking on higher ground."

Joe Satriani on Brian:

“Brian’s like a whole universe unto himself. The first time you hear him you go, ‘What the fuck is that?’ It’s beautiful music, original tone and an amazing application of the guitar—the harmony, the way he strings together his rhythm and solo parts, his ensemble and call-and-response parts.

“It’s unbelievable how deep his universe is.”

More praise than I would expect from someone who is "barely recognized in the rock scene", I'd say....

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Also, action, do you actually ever READ any of those "best guitarist" lists or polls? It's a rare one that Brian does NOT make somewhere.

Check out Guitar World magazine's 2012 reader poll, if you don't believe me.

https://allaxess.com/news/guitar-worlds-100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time/

I wouldn't rank him that high myself actually, but not too bad, #2 behind only Eddie Van Halen and ahead of the likes of Jimi Hendrix.

I ain't even gotten into Roger yet....(being a former guitar player, I read guitarist polls more often than drummer polls, I guess!) but wasn't there a best drummer poll last year where he finished either #1 or #2?

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby action » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:48 am

when I think guitar riffs, I think Slash, page, iommi, keith, hendrix.... I can readily give multiple examples of riffs by these guitarists, that are reckognised all around the world even by non-fans

paradise city
sweet child of mine
iron man
paranoid
kashmir
brown sugar
jumping jack flash
start me up
purple haze

name me 5 reckognisable brian may guitar licks that everybody knows instantly? No, name me even one.

the fact is, you can more easily find 5 reckogniseable Queen songs, but not riffs per se. a kind of magic, radio gaga, we are the champions, bohemian rhapsody... all popular because of their brilliant guitar riffs, no? get the fuck outta here. All of them are so popular because of freddies voice and delivery. Let them be sung by any other singer and they lose their appeal completely. I think all the "Queen +" projects have proven that time and time again.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 am

action wrote:when I think guitar riffs, I think Slash, page, iommi, keith, hendrix.... I can readily give multiple examples of riffs by these guitarists, that are reckognised all around the world even by non-fans

paradise city
sweet child of mine
iron man
paranoid
kashmir
brown sugar
jumping jack flash
start me up
purple haze

name me 5 reckognisable brian may guitar licks that everybody knows instantly? No, name me even one.

the fact is, you can more easily find 5 reckogniseable Queen songs, but not riffs per se. a kind of magic, radio gaga, we are the champions, bohemian rhapsody... all popular because of their brilliant guitar riffs, no? get the fuck outta here. All of them are so popular because of freddies voice and delivery. Let them be sung by any other singer and they lose their appeal completely. I think all the "Queen +" projects have proven that time and time again.

I checked the single charts for Guns'n Roses in UK and US. Is it correct that "Sweet Child O'mine" is their only number 1 hit? I thought they had more. Even Queen have 2 number 1 hits on Billboard, and US is not a very successful territory for Queen.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Peavy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Damn, reading action's posts makes me kinda sad...how can someone like Freddie and (I guess) Queen's music and have such a (imo) wrong and bad opinion on everything aside Freddie in the band?! Their music is more complex than most bands' music in Classic Rock and still you think they are only special because of the singer? Wow...really, to me you have the weirdest opinion on a band as a fan (I don't know if you even consider yourself a fan of Queen (( certainly wouldn't), it seems only of Freddie) that I've ever known. And this band being Queen makes it even more unbelievable and sad. How can someone not recognise the huge talent of the other three guys and how important this was to Queen as a whole band is beyond my comprehension.

Well, but I guess you're right since, like Michael became a super star after he left the Jacksons and went solo, Freddie also did that with "Mr. Bad Guy"...he really didn't need those three guys and could do all the magic on his own.

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby WeeMann » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:06 pm

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm

action wrote:when I think guitar riffs, I think Slash, page, iommi, keith, hendrix.... I can readily give multiple examples of riffs by these guitarists, that are reckognised all around the world even by non-fans

paradise city
sweet child of mine
iron man
paranoid
kashmir
brown sugar
jumping jack flash
start me up
purple haze

Yeah, when YOU think of guitar riffs...YOU. Just try and think outside of your little world view a moment. Non music fans would probably not recognise any of those riffs (or who made them). Brian's guitar work is easily more well known across the globe than most of the examples you have given.

And as for the Strolling Bones? They definitely made some great, legendary tracks in the early years, but that was over 40 years ago. I love me some classic Stones and I appreciate them for what they are and what they have done, but I would put them below Queen, alongside Led Zeppelin (easily one of the most over-rated bands in history).

And GNR? Again, I love the early years. But, come on, Chinese Democracy? Oh dear. So it must be coming up nearly 30 years since they made anything half decent. Great band. But nowhere near Queen's league.

Anyway, I think you should start having a little more respect for the guitarists you speak so highly of: take Slash, for example - ask him what he thinks of Brian as a guitarist...and I would much rather trust a fellow rock guitarist's view than a blind Queen/Freddie fan who does not seem to understand how the group worked together and how - as a unit - they made the classic catalogue they did.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:51 pm

action wrote:
just another thing that should tell you, that Queen was all about freddie. brian / roger / john are mere backing musicians...

Just a little education for you from the man himself (start from about 14:20...although this whole, rare interview is wonderful):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2C8fxCeEFA&feature=youtu.be

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:38 pm

You want 5 recognisable Brian May riffs Action?

1) Tie Your Mother Down
2) Liar
3) Keep Yourself Alive
4) Hammer To Fall
5) Stone Cold Crazy

And I'm sorry, but underplaying the contributions of the band like you do is rather disrespectful.

The band were a sum of their parts with each member bringing their own talents together to create music that holds up almost 50 years after it was first made, now that's quite a feat for any band but for a band that were slated by the music press during their heyday to have the last laugh today is pretty fucking special.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen