ALBUM SIDES: "NEWS OF THE WORLD" (1977)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Which side do you prefer

Poll ended at Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 pm

Side One
88%
Side Two
13%

Total votes : 8

ALBUM SIDES: "NEWS OF THE WORLD" (1977)

Postby BrandonSquared » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:32 pm

This one's tough. Queen had fully and completely entered the world stage as superstars with this album, putting aside their streamlined sound for a more primitive one. For many this is one of Queen's lesser albums of the 70s or the final "great" one. The eclectic sound sampling continues here and into Jazz, contrasting the raw with the lush.

As for a side, it's hard because the album cuts aren't quite as strong or distinctive as earlier ones yet I still love some of them (and by and large I'll take a weaker 70s Queen track over many of their 80s album cuts). Side 1 has Champions which is still a thrilling, gorgeous crafted song, not dulled by becoming THE sports anthem globally, but then it has WWRY which is just as iconic but not a great song (it's barely even a song) and aims for cheapness. The fast BBC version is much better. SHA is okay, an interesting experiment but not much else. All Dead is a beautiful and melancholy gem and suits Brian's voice perfectly (though I also LOVE the new recording with Freddie on lead - that video made me tear up - I think I might like both vocals equally). Spread Your Wings gloriously soars like its title suggests and one of John's best achievements (BBC version is better though), FFTI moves and grooves, not on par with other Roger leads but miles better than his "Jazz" songs.

Side 2 starts with one of Queen's creepiest songs, Get Down..and while its never been a favorite it's kind of fascinating with that chaotic middle section done with no synths somehow. Freddie at his most sexual and raw. I actually really like Sleeping on the Sidewalk - Queen didn't tackle blues too often but this is actually really enjoyable while not remarkable. Brian's twang works well and it's quietly fun and atmospheric. Who Needs You with its Spanish flavor is a fun, tasty treat as a minor album track, and Freddie's voice was so playful and supple (something that went away for a lot of the 80s, or at least his style changed a lot). It's Late is thunderous and so alive, a rocker with all elements perfectly in place that you wonder why it wasn't a live favorite. And finally, My Melancholy Blues feels like Freddie baring his soul for us in a nuanced way. It's so exquisite with that piano and his phrasing and words. Another song that can make me tear up and become melancholy myself at the thought that a beautiful, sensitive soul like Freddie's has been gone for so long.

So I can't pick a side, both have strengths and weakness in equal measure for me.

SIDE 1
1) We Will Rock You;
2) We Are The Champions;
3) Sheer Heart Attack;
4) All Dead, All Dead;
5) Spread Your Wings;
6) Fight From The Inside;

SIDE 2
7) Get Down, Make Love;
8 - Sleeping On The Sidewalk;
9) Who Needs You;
10) It's Late;
11) My Melancholy Blues.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Re: ALBUM SIDES: "NEWS OF THE WORLD" (1977)

Postby Kes » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Poll option added.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 am

This was kind of difficult to choose. There are things I really like about both sides, but I went with side 1. I just think it has a stronger set of songs.

That said, I do think this album suffers from the order of tracks. Personally, I'd have made it more like this...

Side 1
We Will Rock You
Sheer Heart Attack
All Dead, All Dead
Fight From The Inside
Who Needs You
Get Down Make Love

Side 2
It's Late
Sleeping On the Sidewalk
Spread Your Wings
We Are The Champions
My Melancholy Blues

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby BrandonSquared » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:04 am

Lover Boy wrote:This was kind of difficult to choose. There are things I really like about both sides, but I went with side 1. I just think it has a stronger set of songs.

That said, I do think this album suffers from the order of tracks. Personally, I'd have made it more like this...

Side 1
We Will Rock You
Sheer Heart Attack
All Dead, All Dead
Fight From The Inside
Who Needs You
Get Down Make Love

Side 2
It's Late
Sleeping On the Sidewalk
Spread Your Wings
We Are The Champions
My Melancholy Blues

I think that's the thing, the track order. Had it been arranged differently it would have been a more cohesive, satisfying album to hear as a whole in one sitting. The same thing goes for Jazz but that album possesed even more wild shifts in tone that any number of track lists would have technically worked.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:10 pm

One, by far.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:34 am

BrandonSquared wrote:The same thing goes for Jazz but that album possesed even more wild shifts in tone that any number of track lists would have technically worked.

Jazz - the album where the obvious album opener (and so obvious they opened their tour with it as song one or two) "Let Me Entertain You" is a whopping 6 tracks in.

Hell, they didn't even use it to open Side II.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:59 am

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:
BrandonSquared wrote:The same thing goes for Jazz but that album possesed even more wild shifts in tone that any number of track lists would have technically worked.

Jazz - the album where the obvious album opener (and so obvious they opened their tour with it as song one or two) "Let Me Entertain You" is a whopping 6 tracks in.

Hell, they didn't even use it to open Side II.

God you're right. If I'd have had a choice I would have put Let Me Entertain You first on side 1, and then put Mustapha first on side 2. It seems so obvious, doesn't it?

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Return to Killer Queen