Reviews (albums, concerts)

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Buckeye Randy

Re: Reviews (albums, concerts)

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Artist: Dave Edmunds
Reissue Date: 2020
Titles: “Get It”, "Tracks On Wax 4”, “Repeat When Necessary”, “Twangin”

Start with a little trivia, can you name a connection between Queen and Dave Edmunds…anybody? OK, there are several ‘correct’ answers but I’m going with the most obvious. Answer later.

It happened again, the meaty part of the Dave Edmunds catalogue has been reissued. For anybody that doesn’t know much about Dave Edmunds I’ll give a really short version. The guitar hero from Wales made a name for himself covering chestnuts from the ‘50’s. He would meticulously recreate the studio sounds of that era. In a Creem Magazine bio from the mid 70’s, Dave’s special talent was listed as making a million dollar studio sound like a scratchy 78. Dave hooked up with Nick Lowe and the band Rockpile for a successful run in the late ‘70’s. The band Rockpile served as a backing band for both Edmunds and Nick Lowe plus there was one album under the name Rockpile. That about covers the era (’77 – ’81) from which these reissues were originally released.

Essential? Well, for me each has some really great songs but there is one release a notch above. If I was recommending just one I would go with “Repeat When Necessary”. This was recorded in the studio with the band Rockpile at the same time as Nick Lowe’s “Labor Of Lust”. Together, they are a double album with half the songs by Edmunds and half by Lowe. Both are essential.

This isn't so much a review but a 'heads up'. All things by Dave Edmunds are recommended but these four albums especially so. Enjoy!

Trivia Answer: Rockpile (w/Dave Edmunds) and Queen both appear on “The Concert for Kampuchea” (film and LP).

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Artist: Nick Lowe
Title: Lay It On Me (EP)
Released: June 5, 2020

One of the casualties of Covid-19 besides unprecedented unemployment and global death was the spring concert calendar. Specifically, Nick Lowe along with his current touring band Los Straitjackets had to cancel a show in Cleveland at my all-time favorite venue, The Beachland Ballroom. I suppose this is a narrow and selfish outlook but the cancellation felt personal because I have history with Nick Lowe. A blizzard, blood and a beer…we have history.

Waaay back in the winter of 1982 The Cars were touring for “Shake It Up” and the aforementioned Nick Lowe was opening for many of the shows. I’m not really a fan of The Cars. Yeah, I know their first album is really solid and over half the songs still get regular play on classic rock radio. The thing is, I saw the Cars side stage in ’79 at a festival and it wasn’t amazing. I mean, if seeing a band side stage with a mixed drink in your hand doesn’t make you a fan, what will? On a sidenote…other bands at the festival were Todd Rundgren’s Utopia, Cheap Trick and Eddie Money. Great day that included meeting new friends and hitchhiking 120 miles…but I digress.

Anyways, I did not buy tickets to see The Cars and Nick Lowe at The Coliseum which was an 18,000 seat venue halfway between Akron and Cleveland. As luck would have it…a blizzard blew in from the north that shut down much of the traffic travelling on the interstate including the tractor trailers carrying all of the sound and lighting gear for The Cars. By midafternoon, Cleveland radio station and concert sponsor WMMS announced two things. Firstly, the concert at The Coliseum with The Cars was cancelled. The second announcement was that Nick Lowe was already in town and he would do an impromptu performance at the legendary Cleveland Agora.

Life is all about choices. I made a choice that I didn’t want to see Nick Lowe if it meant sitting far away from the stage and opening for The Cars. I (along the help of the future Mrs. Buckeye and an underage friend) then made a choice that navigating the normally 60 minute journey to Cleveland in the midst of winter travel advisory blowing in off Lake Erie to see Nick Lowe at a club was a good idea.

What sort of vehicle is best suited for a journey into a winter wonderland? A Jeep, a 4x4 truck? Perhaps, my friend had a 1972 Ford Torino with decent snow tires, a good stereo and a 12 pack in the back seat. Road trip!

Honestly, it didn’t seem to be snowing that bad when we left my house. We laughed at how the tractor trailers couldn’t make it through the weather. However, the snow seemed to start falling allot heavier once we hit the highway heading North. The snow covered road quickly morphed from being a somewhat visible two lane highway into a one lane path with a single set of tire tracks. At the halfway point we were slushing and sliding quite a bit but our spirits were still good. Steady and slow we go.

It was at this point that we were driving through a pile of snow left by a plow truck and my friend’s muffler bracket decided to break. There was no continuing down the road because we were just dragging the muffler along, we had to pull over. One of the few skills I possessed at this point in my life was working on a makeshift exhaust system. I slid under the car and surveyed the situation…I earlier said that the muffler bracket broke. What I should have said was the coat hanger broke because of some recent…modifications. I was laying in snow and I had no tools or even gloves, the situation was not good. I started violently yanking at the rusty pipes, the muffler needed to go. The rear connection broke easily but the front was more difficult.

The front connection was not old and rusty. There was a fairly new piece of flexible pipe between the manifold and muffler. As I tugged and pulled at the muffler, the flexible pipe came apart like a slinky. A slinky with razor sharp edges that sliced deeply into my hand. I was still able to get the muffler off and we drove away leaving a muffler in a blood stained bank of snow. A few more miles down the road and we were in the city…a city that was nearly empty. It appears not many people drive around during a winter weather advisory.

It should be noted how loud a V8 motor is when there is no exhaust system, the rumble can be heard for blocks away. This is normally a calling card for police to pull you over but luckily for us the police were busy with more urgent problems on this evening.

We arrive at a nearly vacant Agora parking lot and go into the club. I go straight to the bar and ask for a bar towel to hold on my still bleeding hand. You would think this would be a fairly routine request at a club in the city but to my dismay I was met with reluctance. She offered me bar napkins which seemed like a poor substitute but I wasn’t going to argue.

We wandered around the Agora admiring the historic walls and telling concert stories, we eventually found ourselves in front of the stage. We leaned back against the stage and watched as people slowly filtered in from the winter wonderland. I was with good friends, I had a full beer and the show was ready to start. Life is good.

Have you ever seen a rock star drink a beer being held up by a front row fan? I always thought that was so cool. Anyways, after a couple songs Nick Lowe proclaimed, “I’m thirsty” and I eagerly held up my nearly full jumbo beer. Nick smiled and took the beer and raised it to his lips. He tipped it back, gulp, gulp, gulp…and handed me back my cup. I laughed and smiled with my friends until I looked down at my cup. The smile slowly left as I realized half of my jumbo beer was gone and it was hard to be positive with the stage lighting but I think I saw a floaty.

I got a little off track and long winded but you now know the history between me and Nick Lowe; a blizzard, blood and a beer. BTW, it was a great concert. Paul Carrack was in the band that tour and Elliott Easton from The Cars was on stage for most the show.

Sooo…Nick Lowe has a new three song EP and he’s being backed by Los Staitjackets. They worked together before on a Christmas album and also have some live things that have been released. They complement each other perfectly. Nick’s solo releases the last 25 years or so have been in the mode of crushed velvet lounge music. Don’t get me wrong, some of the stuff is great but I prefer when Nick Lowe is rocking a little.

“Lay It On Me” and “Don’t Be Nice To Me” sound allot closer to Nick Lowe from the “Cruel To Be Kind” era than the toe tapping Nick Lowe we have become accustomed to. The Los Straitjackets are true to their surf tinged rock and keep it light, nothing jagged. The EP closes with a pretty true cover of the Brenda Lee hit, “Here Comes That Feeling”.

Two thumbs up, looking forward to a full length release. Well done!

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Artist: Mick Ronson
Title: Only After Dark: The Complete Mainman Recordings
Released: December 6, 2019

This release sort of slipped by me, better late than never.

Do you like David Bowie, Ian Hunter, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, John Mellencamp, Roger Daltry, David Johansen or Morrissey? Then chances are you’re familiar with contributions by the multi-talented Mick Ronson either as a guitarist, arranger or producer.

Mick Ronson is listed in a 2015 Rolling Stone magazine as the 41st Greatest Guitarist of all time. When playing rock n roll trivia and you don’t know the answer, Mick Ronson is usually a safe answer. Who was the guitarist on Mott The Hoople’s final single, “Saturday Gigs”? The answer is Mick Ronson! Who played lead guitar on the bonus track version of “Madman Across The Water” by Elton John? The answer is Mick Ronson! Who played lead on David Cassidy’s “Gettin' It In The Street” from 1976? The answer is of course Mick Ronson! See, it works.

Mick passed away in 1993. I remember the day well as I was driving to work and listening to the radio. The DJ made the sad announcement and played Mick’s signature guitar piece, “Slaughter On 10th Avenue”. The emotion of the moment is frozen in time and it’s been nearly 30 years. Lighter held high.

It speaks volumes about Mick that he was not only adored by fans but also respected by his peers. I think you can tell just how respected Mick was by the list contributors on his posthumously released final album (Heaven and Hull) and the rock royalty performing at the Mick Ronson Memorial Concert which was released as a 2CD set. The list includes; Joe Elliot (Def Lep), David Bowie, John Cougar Mellencamp, Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders), Glenn Matlock (Sex Pistols), Gary Brooker (Procol Harum), Mick Jones (The Clash), Bill Nelson (Be Bop Deluxe), Roger Taylor (Queen), Ian Hunter (Mott The Hoople), Roger Daltry (The Who) and plenty of others.

I recommend “Heaven and Hull” if you want a nice studio album with an all-star cast. The disc concludes with the live performance of “All The Young Dudes” from the Freddie Memorial where Queen is joined on stage by Bowie, Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson. The 2CD Ronson Memorial Concert isn’t as essential but it is pretty awesome to hear the Spiders From Mars serve as a backing band behind Joe Elliot on several tracks. This concert also contains the definitive version of “Michael Picasso” which is Ian Hunter’s heartfelt send off to Mick, a tear jerker for sure.

I just told you about the things NOT contained on the recent four disc release, “Only After Dark: The Complete Mainman Recordings”. I can’t help but get carried away a little when thinking about Ronno. I’ve spent most my rock and roll life listening to the guy and he is in my musical DNA. Another trivia question. I bought an 8-track tape from a discount bin in 1976 at a department store called Montgomery Wards, who was the artist? The answer is Mick Ronson and I actually still have the tape tucked away in one of my memorabilia type boxes. I don’t envy my kids having to clear out all these boxes and pricing the stuff before the yard sale. “What price should I put on this”? “Just mark everything two for $1”.

Onto the new box set, what this release attempts is to capture Mick’s solo work from the ‘70’s.

Disc 1 – Slaughter On 10th Avenue: I’m not a big fan of retro reviewing releases from 45 years ago but I have no problem putting a historical spin on things. “SOTA” was Mick’s first release after Bowie unceremoniously dumped his band toward the end of a performance at the Hammersmith Odeon on July 3rd, 1973. Mainman (Bowie’s management team) decided to market Mick as a solo act (borderline teen idol) and put out a huge promo campaign to coincide with the release of SOTA.

Straight up, this album stands the test of time for me and it gets desert island consideration. It has always sounded like a companion release for Bowie’s “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust” and “Aladin Sane”. The question still remains how much of this is due to Bowie’s influence on Mick or how much did Mick influence Bowie. Regardless, it is an essential release no matter if purchased separately or part of a box set.

The first few CD versions of SOTA did not have bonus material and I was 100% OK with that…until bonus material became available. I actually became a bit obsessed chasing down bonus material by Mick and my other favorite artists. At the end of the day and as disappointing as it may seem my life has been absolutely unchanged by bonus material.

The eight bonus tracks included here are live with the exceptions being a three minute interview from 1974 and a montage of solos from the song “SOTA”. The three live tracks from ’74 are decent quality but fairly unremarkable. The track from’75 is old school bootleg quality recorded from the audience. The other two are “FBI” which was the opening instrumental for Ian Hunter in ’79 and finally a 1990 version of “SOTA” which seems a bit out of place given the ‘70’s theme of the box set. I actually don’t remember hearing a few of these bonus tracks but I was assured by my Ronson expert that I had. Not worth arguing.

Disc 2 – Play Don’t Worry: Perhaps not as essential as the debut but it is still a really strong record and the highs are every bit as high. Some great covers of Velvet Underground, Pure Prairie League and Little Richard. Disc contains my favorite Ronson song, “Empty Bed”. This was the last official release by Mick Ronson before his death.

Every CD version of Play Don’t Worry that I know of has had bonus material and most including this one have eight tracks that are non-essential demos.

Disc 3 – 1976 Sessions: I remember being blown away in 1999 when “Just Like This” was released. It is mid ‘70’s Mick as a rock guitar hero with a kick ass band. If I remember correctly, this project got shelved due to other commitments Mick had. Regardless, the first 12 tracks on ‘1976 Sessions’ are ‘Just Like This’ and following the theme of this box set there are a few bonus tracks thrown in for good measure.

Disc 4 – Rarities: A collection of bootleg quality live tracks from ‘Showtime’ and demos from the bonus disc that originally came with ‘Just Like This’. The live stuff is decent because of the guitar work and that’s the nicest thing I can say.

This a reasonably priced package ($23 Amazon) and you get a nice book. This comes highly recommended but just beware of the sketchty demos and outtakes of which accounts for 16 of the 60 tracks. I really think that this waters down the product for a casual fan of Ronson. IMHO it would be a much stronger listen if the first three discs contained no bonus material. Disc four could have been all the live stuff and some cherry picked demos. However, I don’t think that was the purpose of this release. The purpose is to provide as many tracks as possible and in that regard this release totally succeeds.

Always good to see Mick Ronson get a new release and perhaps reach a new set of fans, well done!
Last edited by Buckeye Randy on Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

One other thing about the recent Ronson release. Do not mistake this new 4cd release for a 2cd release of the same name from 1993.

Enjoy!

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Artist: Deep Purple
Title: Whoosh
Released: August 7, 2020

Back when dinosaurs ruled rock, no dinosaur was bigger than Deep Purple. One of my earliest memories of rock is when everybody thought “Smoke On The Water” was the coolest riff ever. I remember when The Guinness Book Of World Records recognized Deep Purple as the ‘World’s Loudest Band’. The sound reached 117 dB and three people fell unconscious during a performance in London. The record book fails to mention that at least three people fell unconscious at every concert by every band in the ‘70’s due to excessive partying. Question; did you ever pass out at a concert? I’ll have to tell my Humble Pie story someday.

I also thought it was pretty cool how Deep Purple didn’t just change band members like most bands. They gave each line-up a title that lent an air of significance or possibly arrogance. Mark I, Mark II, Mark III, Mark IV…I sorta lost count after that. I remember teenage boys in jean jackets arguing about the superiority of each.

I owned an 8 track that had all sorts of hits from the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s. The Deep Purple song included on this tape was a bad ass version of Neil Diamond’s “Kentucky Woman”. I knew the original version from my parents’ AM kitchen radio and looking back…my liking Deep Purple’s version probably had more to do with my closet fandom of Neil Diamond than anything to do with Deep Purple. Another story, another time.

All that said…I never really connected with the band. There are tons of bands that fall into that category with me. I like several songs or even a couple albums but the music never worms its way into my musical DNA. That doesn’t mean that I don’t give a listen when new material comes out. Somehow I’ve missed the last few by Deep Purple, this is the first album of theirs I’ve listened to from start to finish since “Perfect Strangers” in ‘84. Not bragging and not complaining…just saying.

What we have today is Deep Purple’s 21st studio album, “Whoosh”. It’s kind of interesting breaking down their releases by decades.
‘60’s - 3
‘70’s - 7
‘80’s - 2
‘90’s - 4
‘00’s - 2
‘10’s - 2
‘20’s – 1
I think it is interesting because it shows that the band never went away even though I wasn’t keeping up. Not included in that list are the 40+ live albums and countless compilations. It sure must be expensive being a completest collector of Deep Purple!

The new album features three members from Mark II; Ian Gillian (vocals), Roger Glover (bass) and Ian Paice (drums). The newbies are Steve Morse (guitar since 1994) and Steve Airey (keys since 2002). This is 3/5 of the line-up that gave us “Machine Head” so the bar is set pretty high. Production is in the capable hands of Bob Ezrin who has a nice niche working with all acts ‘70’s.

I’ve let this play through a few times now and there are several really fun tracks and for some reason almost everything reminds me of another band or song. That has probably more to do with my age than anything else. The initial vibe is a good one which is so much better than a bad vibe, especially on a Friday.

The album kicks off with the funky “Throw My Bones”. Funky territory is nothing new to this band, remember “Maybe I’m A Leo” from ’72? The vocals during the verses are barked in carnival fashion and the chorus has smooth harmonies. It’s a pretty fun song that treads close to Styx territory…which back in the day was a band that treaded close to Deep Purple territory. “Drop The Weapon” reminds me of 80’s era Moody Blues and I don’t intend that as a knock but the song could use a little more urgency. I will say there is some top shelf guitar work in both those songs.

If you want classic sounding Deep Purple with thick foggy organ then “We’re All The Same In The Dark” gives you what you’re looking for. “No Need To Shout” follows the formula until the chorus…there are several songs where the chorus harmonies seem…oh, maybe a bit slick.

"Remission Possible" absolutely growls, a classic sounding instrumental, shame it's over so soon. "And The Address" is another instrumental and it more than any other track sounds like it was lifted from the early '70's. “What The What” seems to give a nod to the song “Good Times” by The Easybeats. I’m 100% OK with that because it’s one of rock’s forgotten chestnuts.

This new release will certainly appeal to Deep Purple fans who have been keeping up with the band for all these years. I think it will also appeal to fans of the Mark II era, especially the albums “Fireball” and “Who Do We Think We Are”. That’s the good; the only bad to speak of is that this (at times) sounds like a mellower (not quite lounge!) version of Deep Purple. I imagine there has to be a comfort zone when performing a time tested formula. The ‘bad’ in this case isn’t horrible.

Overall impression, no classic tracks but it’s still a solid release with plenty of catchy songs and exceptional musicianship. I have no problem recommending this to my classic rock friends, well done!

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

OK, you've convinced me to go back and start listening to Deep Purple, again. At least starting with this album. I listened to Throw My Bones and really liked it. But you know I am suddenly onto that other guy so there is fierce competition, now. :lol: But I am gonna give the entire album a listen and see if I can get myself hooked, again.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Artist: The Lemon Twigs
Title: Songs For The General Public
Released: August 21, 2020

It seems that the older I get the easier it gets to find bands releasing retro sounding music. Today it is The Lemon Twigs and their third overall release, “Songs For The General Public”. The Lemon Twigs are from Long Island and fronted by the D'Addario brothers.

The Lemon Twigs are not strangers to fans of festival concerts. Recent years have seen the band play events in Glastonbury, Outside Lands, Lollapalooza, Austin City, and Montreux. They have also picked up some exposure by covering songs by Todd Rundgren, John Prine and Jonathon Richman. It’s hard to think of three more diverse and talented influences and you can hear all in the band’s original compositions.

Oh, there’s more. I also hear Gram Parsons, John Cale, The Quick, Dwight Twilley, Paul Simon and Carole King all stacked into more layers than any wedding cake. It’s quirky and melodic and challenging and at times psychedelic and just…well it’s just wonderful. Am I blushing?

“Hell On Wheels” is a medium paced rocker that opens with a riff reminiscent of “Walk Away Renee” but the song quickly moves on. A great opening skip-a-long with a sing-a-long chorus that pulls you in without revealing what’s to come.

I absolutely have a love/hate for songs that remind me of another song and I can’t put my finger on it. “Live In Favor Of Tomorrow” has a short passage that reminds me of something…after several listens I realized it was Paul Simon’s “Kodachrome” which is a good thing for me. “No One Holds You” sounds like a track from the later years of Todd Rundgren’s Utopia, infectious pop delivered by a rock band.

My favorite two are “Moon” and “Hog”. Both start with a similar formula sung with a twang. The songs follow unorthodox and completely separate paths to the end. Both are masterpieces and absolutely haunting.

“Why Do Owners Love Each Other” sounds like a music box with a spinning ballerina and builds to a carnival calliope. The purest guitar track is “Leather Together” which sounds like it could have been pulled from “Nuggets”.

BTW, everybody should own “Nuggets” which is a two LP release from 1972 that chronicles music from 1965 –’68. It is considered The Bible for influential psychedelic, garage and proto punk from that era. It has since been released in an expanded four CD format. That’s your bonus info for the day.

The album closes with “Ashamed”…I wish I could count all the tracks I’ve heard the last year that sound like Ray Davies. Well, this is certainly a good one and a perfect closer.

Time is the real test but I really like this after four or five listens. As far as today goes, I really like. Well done!

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Nice stripped down live performance...

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Artist: Savoy Brown
Title: Ain’t Done Yet
Released: August 28, 2020

Trivia question pt. I; how many Savoy Brown albums have been released since their 1967 debut? Go ahead, pick a number.

The Savoy Brown website says 41 releases so we’ll go with that. Looking at the titles it appears they are including about ten live releases and a couple compilations on their list. Savoy Brown never went over 4 years between releases and that only happened once. Steady like the tide.

Trivia question pt. II; Savoy Brown have had more or less than 41 members pass through the outfit?

Wikipedia tells us there are three current members (including founder Kim Simmonds) and 59 former members for a grand whopping total of 62. There are some notable past members worth mentioning. Three of the four original members of Foghat came from Savoy Brown. Miller Anderson besides being vocalist for Savoy Brown did stints with Keef Hartley, Spencer Davis Group and Jon Lord Project plus was in the band Charlie Wolfe with a pre-Mott The Hoople Ian Hunter. Bonus trivia…Miller has also guested on a couple of Ian’s solo records and is famously namechecked by Ian on the track “All American Alien Boy”. “I remember all the good times me and Miller enjoyed, up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy”.

Guitarist Kim Simmonds has been the one constant in Savoy Brown throughout the years. He’s a British Bluesman that plays smooth Chicago blues with hooks that rank as good as any. Here is a fun link to a list of 100 greatest blues guitarists, https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best ... uitar.html
Kim comes in at 54 which seems like a slap until you see he is ranked higher than Robin Trower, Taj Mahal, Rory Gallagher and Steve Cropper. A list worth checking out.

The new album “Ain’t Done Yet” is true to the title. Kim Simmonds and his band are most definitely not done yet. The album jumps right out of the box with “All Gone Wrong” which is a bass driven rocker with guitar dancing on top. “Borrowed Time” is another that sounds like a loud song with a heavy flange guitar and slightly distorted vocals. Love it.

I have a general statement about blues recordings I’ve heard the last few years. Allot of the recordings are very clean sounding, almost too clean. They just don’t conjure up the feeling of standing in a sweaty club with the volume rattling your keys. Plenty of the songs on “Ain’t Done Yet” demand that you turn up the volume because they just sound so stage ready. Close your eyes and you’re at the club.

The album is well balanced with the thicker romps and slower blues beats. Kim Simmonds delivers on all. “Feel Like A Gypsy” is a slower one that places you in a dimly lit room just tapping your foot and grooving. “Crying Guitar” is an album closing instrumental where Kim paints a blank canvas with soulful colors.

My early favorite is “Soho Girl” which is a rowdy rocker that would fit perfectly at a ‘70’s bon fire. What a fun riff just keeps tromping along for four plus minutes. The lyrics are just as fun, “She likes Muddy Waters, she cooks a mean Mexican meal….she drives a ’67 Mustang, sleeps with a gun”. Yeah baby, that just drips rock n roll all the way around.

This won’t be the album of the year or anything but it is a really fun blues album. If you like ripping blues by a veteran guitarist then this is essential for 2020. Well done!

I don’t know how I made it all the way through that review without telling you about the lone time I saw Savoy Brown in concert. Savoy Brown were at the bottom of a bill that included Grand Funk, Mountain and Iron Butterfly. Another story, another day.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I'd like to know, on all these reviews, what are the ones you'd recommend most, as a fan of Queen, Hunter and 10cc for example, but not so much into hardrock or alternative?
I already heard most from Mick Ronson... it's ok but not too much my cup of tea...

There was a new EP by Alice Cooper earlier this year , it's called Breadcrumbs, I think.
It is excellent !! It rocks and blues like hell, if I might say!!
Usually I'm not totally convinced by Alice Cooper recent releases, but that one was really fun.
I think it was more a collaboration with other musicians.

What did you think of the new Stray Cats album, last year?
I thought it was ok, but as I already heard most or Brian Setzer's albums* , same for Stray Cats.... well it sounds a bit recycled. Still enjoyable on a first listen. But you've already "heard it somewhere".
*recommended! Check the album ""13""-

And one of my favourite recent releases was Paul Mccartney Egypt Station.
I don't like the track Fuh You. But it's a great album!!
His best in many years, I thought.

And another Beatles connection....
Ringo Starr, his last album from last year was really fun as well.
Also, same, his best in years!!

The last album of Leonard Cohen.........
Thanks for the Dance...
Didn't like it much.
I've read critics saying it's better than You want it darker (his last album when he was still alive)
But I strongly disagree.
In fact, I think that his serie of last albums are among his best, I always come back to it.
It has some cheap synthetiser sounds but he manages to make it all sound fantastic.
Those last albums were Popular Problems, and Old Ideas.
From the three of them, 'You want it darker' is the best for me, because it has a chorus and strings, it really sounds special, as a goodbye...
Thanks for the dance...... thanks but no thanks, listened it on spotify and it didn't convince me to buy it. (Which I try to do if I really like an album)