Reviews (albums, concerts)

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Re: Reviews (albums, concerts)

Post by Innuendoes »

It even sounds better on Spotify!

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

Amico... No, just no. :lol:

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

I think 2020 was a great year for music. Plenty of classic rockers and legendary artists weighed in along with a great crop of fresh faces.

Every week I would check out a few websites that list new releases and start some random listening on Spotify. I’m sure I missed a ton of stuff because some weeks I’m busier than others not to mention the websites I use are not all inclusive.

I initially wanted a Top Ten but it was becoming increasingly difficult to eliminate songs so I ended up with eleven. You can listen to the playlist on Spotify, ‘2020 Top 10 +1’.

2020 Top 10 + 1
1. Never Been In Love – Screeching Weasel: my favorite in a landslide, I’m a sucker for poppy punk
2. Double Denim Hop – Buzzard Buzzard: swashbuckling fun in the spirit of Stones & Faces
3. Butterfly Blues – The Silence: concisely captures in five minutes my years of listening to avant-garde
4. You Don’t Get It – The Exbats: infectious pop melody that has a yesteryear feel
5. Local Radio – Bad Moves: driving energy in a different sort of packaging
6. Soho Girl – Savoy Brown: Kim Simmonds delivers a classic blues rocker
7. Trash Glam Baby – The Boomtown Rats: captures British glam nearly perfectly
8. Wine, Beer, Whiskey – Little Big Town: great party song with an intoxicating melody
9. Magic Mountain – Hollow Ship: instrumental with killer wah guitar
10. Lonely Heather – The Nude Party: small club pandemonium
11. Circle Song - The Blinders: Lennon like

Best Of The Rest for 2020
Stiff – Beach Slang
She’s The Rock - G. Love and the Special Sauce
Stab You In The Heart – Green Day
Pretty Girls Everywhere – Huey Lewis
Self-Effacing – Sparks
This Time’s Different – Heart Bones
I Wanna Go First – Lisa Loeb
She Said No – The Boomtown Rats
Doorman – Exbats
Hold On Tight – Rookie
Pick It Up Again – Violent Soho
You’ve Got The Ball – The Lovely Eggs
Freaks – Once and Future Band
Lo And Behold – Ron Sexsmith
The Pit And The Pentagon - 999
I Quit – Brendon Benson
Crazy – The Vapors
Situation Critical – The Reflectors
No One Holds a Candle To You - Joe Wunderle
False Prophet – Bob Dylan
Hit The Nail On The Head – Webb Wilder
Just Bummin’ Around – Willie Nelson
This Forgotten Town – The Jayhawks
Hog – The Lemon Twigs
John Lennon Is My Jesus Christ – Buzzard Buzzard
Some Faith – Hello Forever
Train True – Blue Oyster Cult
All Dressed Up – The Struts
Manipulator – The Damned
Nobody Likes The Opening Band – I Don’t Know How But They Found Me
Hey Clockface – Elvis Costello
Anything For Boo – Eels
Loaded Gun – The Dirty Knobs
Do T Rocker – Lonnie Holley

Favorite cover versions of 2020
A Certain Girl – The Supersuckers
Stay – The Dollyrots
Green Eyed Lady – Metal Church
Baby Let’s Play House – Danzig
Crocodile Rock – Larkin Poe
Here Comes That Feeling – Nick Lowe
Jumpin’ Jack Flash – Ace Frehley
Rebel Rebel – Cheap Trick
Ode To Billie Joe – Patty Smyth
Do You Love Me – The Struts
Rock n Roll – Alice Cooper
Manic Monday – Billie Joe Armstrong
Let’s Work Together – William Shatner
Last edited by Buckeye Randy on Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

That sure is one heck of a list and quite a lot of artists. I may try to listen but I tend to either go with the JRockers or back to the old days and keep listening to the good ole music of yesteryear.

I like Manic Monday, and Ode To Billie Joe but I know most of those new ones, I have never heard before.

I'm not sure when I found L`Arc~en~Ciel but I think it was early 2020 but maybe 2019. Between them and X Japan, no one else can compare for me.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

And the last one to date in 2020 is surely the new Paul McCartney!!!
I liked the whole album, and the last track "When winter comes" is a nice little surprise!
I would wish that he would write more tracks with this same spirit. But one is already great!
In the idea "naive, positive, cheerful, dancing".... I would believe it, if it was a traditional old folk song; but it seems like an original new song.
It is a nice little journey into acoustic sounds and imaginative songs.
"Seize the day" was a self-assumed "Beatly" song, like he said himself in the last funny Chris Rock interview... and it's one of the stand-out tracks.
I have another personal favourite, and it's Deep Deep Feeling. Very nice surprises...

I can't help but think..... C'mon Roger, I'm sure you could come up with more than one song this year? "Isolation" was still a nice surprise.

And Ringo might be preparing something more, as he put out a new all-star song as well.
I would choose any new Paul McCartney over that, though.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

:shock:

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Innuendoes wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:47 am:shock:
What do you mean :D lol ;)

I wonder which one is my favourite. McCartney III, or Egypt Station. I'd say Egypt Station.
Not all tracks are great on that album, but most are!!
'I don't know' is very touching.
And 'Back in Brazil' is a lot of fun.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Artist: Ian Hunter & Mott The Hoople
Title: Gold
Released: January 8, 2021

I’ll start by saying that I’ve been a fan of Ian Hunter and Mott The Hoople most of my life and being a fan makes objectivity impossible…but I’ll try.

Quick overview. Mott the Hoople released seven studio albums between ’69 and ’74. Remembered as a cult band regarded more for being hip and who they influenced than topping the charts. Known in trivia circles as the only band Queen ever warmed up including the first rock concerts on Broadway. Steven Tyler credits Mott The Hoople with teaching Aerosmith how to trash a hotel room. Joe Elliott ranks the album “Mott” as the greatest album ever. Few bands move the cool meter like Mott The Hoople.

The most notable original Mott The Hoople members were Ian Hunter and Mick Ralphs. Others that passed through the ranks worth mentioning include Mick Ronson (David Bowie), Ariel Bender (Spooky Tooth) and Morgan Fisher who later played keys on Queen’s Hot Space European tour. When the dust had finally settled, Mick Ralphs was the guitarist in Bad Company and Ian Hunter embarked on a solo career that is still going today. This comp is sort of interesting because it includes both Mott The Hoople and solo work of Ian Hunter.

This release is not for somebody looking for rarities to complete a collection because there are none. This isn’t for somebody wanting a quick overview because there are 3CDs. It sort of brings into question what this compilation is trying to accomplish. That is actually a good question to ask anytime you look at a compilation because they can have different purposes.

I remember looking for a comp by Richard Hell because I wanted to fill a hole in my CD collection without buying individual releases. I gladly purchased a recently released 2CD package that seemed overpriced; it had to be a good purchase, right? What I had bought was something intended for fans that already owned everything ever released by Richard Hell…I do mean everything. It contained previously unreleased demos, outtakes, session work and live recordings that sounded as if they were recorded from the bottom of a bowl of oatmeal. This purchase served little use to me but I’m sure it was met with great enthusiasm by hardcore fans. My point is that not all compilations have the same purpose.

There is a really common problem that career encompassing compilations can encounter. An artist may have been on several different record labels that span different management contracts. The result is that whoever is putting together the compilation may not have access to all the material. I say this because there are some holes in this MTH/Ian Hunter release.

Let’s break down the song selection by looking at the Mott The Hoople material first and then the Ian Hunter tracks. I like to start by looking at the numbers.
6 of 9 songs from the 1972 release, ‘All The Young Dudes’
8 of 9 songs from the 1973 release, ‘Mott’
7 of 9 songs from the 1974 release, ‘The Hoople’
5 songs that appeared as non LP A and B sides. All have since appeared on CD releases of these albums and compilations.

The most notable exclusion is “Ready For Love” which is a song that featured lead vocals by both Mick Ralphs and Ian Hunter. Mick Ralphs left Mott The Hoople for Bad Company who reworked this song on their debut. The more known Bad Company version features Paul Rogers on vocals and leaves out all of the verses sung by Ian Hunter from the original version. Regardless of that omission, this is a really good overview of the CBS/Columbia years that covers nearly everything released.

The elephant in the room is there is no material from the first four albums released by Mott The Hoople on Island/Atlantic labels. The story of Mott The Hoople is not complete without acknowledging the band’s early work. However, “Gold” is more about Ian Hunter and that makes it mostly forgivable. To be concise, the early albums (Island/Atlantic) were band efforts of which Ian was a member, the later albums (CBS/Columbia) were a band fronted by Ian Hunter. To be perfectly honest, even compilations dedicated solely to Mott The Hoople have trouble straddling the two different eras of the band.

Moving on, let’s take a look at the numbers as applied to the Ian Hunter material.
7 of 8 songs from 1975 release, ‘Ian Hunter’
6 of 8 songs from 1976 release, ‘All American Alien Boy’
6 of 10 songs from 1977 release, ‘Ian Hunter’s Overnight Angels’
3 of 11 songs from 1983 release, ‘All Of The Good Ones Are Taken’
2 songs that appeared on non LP singles, both have since appeared on CD releases.

No problem with the material from Ian’s first two releases except the one song left off from the first album happens to be my favorite! Both albums are as incredibly strong as they are incredibly different. The first album is a rock star album with Mick Ronson blazing on guitar more than he ever did while with Bowie and the Spiders From Mars. The second album has Ian reflecting in more of a singer/songwriter mode with musical contributions from David Sanborn, Jaco Pastorius and Queen.

Do you sense that things are about to go downhill? I think including six tracks from Overnight Angels is troubling, misleading and just wrong. Overnight Angels was a forced project produced by Roy Thomas Baker that didn’t work on nearly every level. It was so highly thought of when completed that it wasn’t even released in America and it did not chart in the U.K.. The title track is worth including and that’s it.

Ian’s next three albums were on Chrysalis Records and there is nary a song to be found. That’s a shame because ‘You’re Never Alone With A Schizophrenic’ was Ian’s highest charting album in the States. The two albums that followed both charted top 100 in the U.K. and U.S.. None of this material is on “Gold”. These albums might not be quite as strong as Ian’s first two solo outings but they’re close, very close.

Including three songs from ‘All Of The Good Ones Are Taken’ seems ridiculous after including six from ‘Overnight Angels’. While ‘All Of The Good Ones Are Taken” might not be a great album it was released and even charted in the States which is more than can be said for Overnight Angels.

That’s it, this compilation abruptly ends in 1983. Nothing from Ian Hunter’s last 8 studio releases and numerous projects. It seems like a sad ending for a compilation that started out with some promise.

Overall disappointment aside…this is a dandy purchase for under $15; you get 80% of Mott The Hoople’s final three albums and 80% of Ian Hunter’s first two solo albums. That’s not a bad thing.

(almost) Well Done!

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Artist: Sarah Mary Chadwick
Title: Me And Ennui Are Friends, Baby
Released: February 5, 2021

For starters…I don’t think I’ve ever been drawn into an album quite like this before. This isn’t riff rock or jangly pop music. This isn’t even reflective music to ponder as raindrops hit the window late at night. This is dragging a tortured and bare soul across barbed wire and expressing the wretched pain through piano and vocals. Let the good times roll.

After one listen I felt compelled to get a little history on Sarah Mary Chadwick. Chadwick is based out of Melbourne by way of New Zealand. Musically, Mary was in the band Batrider and after splitting she’s released seven solo albums since 2012. This is the third in what is referred to as 'The Intimate Trilogy'. A quick listen tells us every album is unique as far as the musical accompaniment. 2019’s “The Queen Who Stole the Sky” has her playing a pipe organ and other releases seem to have the hint of a full band.

Lyrically…OK, I’m usually a lyrics second type guy, I don’t even bother trying to decipher lyrics the first few listens (Yeah, I’m deep like that). However, the lyrics here are so dramatic and pained that you can’t help but notice. It’s a little disturbing to find out that all of Sarah’s lyrics are autobiographical and this album discusses an attempted suicide.

Hey, I know this is a topic that hits everybody differently. The fact is; if you live long enough you will know somebody that attempts suicide. The successful attempts are tragic and can rip at loved ones for decades. The reality is that we don’t always find out about the unsuccessful attempts. Give Sarah a ton of credit for sharing.

I've read several articles about Sarah Mary Chadwick and I'm not going to rephrase the quotes for the purpose of this post. I'll just say that she is fascinating on many levels and worth getting to know.

The best three songs for me are “A Mother’s Love”, “That Feeling Like” and “Every Loser Needs A Mother”. Really, the whole album is a highlight as it walks us through Sarah’s troubled thoughts. If you do start listening then do yourself a favor and listen to the conversation that takes place during the album finale “Will The Lord Hold My Hand”.

Like I said, this isn’t my usual sort of album and I certainly won’t be spinning it at this year’s family BBQ. I do feel like I’m better for taking a couple days to listen and that’s not easy to explain. All I can really say is…Well Done!

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

I have only listened to the one song you posted on here and it made me feel creepy. Sorry. No offense meant in any way. It felt to me like someone was telling someone else they were just putting up with them and getting hurt or annoyed by having to be around or cater to them. Or maybe it was just the frame of mind I was in but I also have to say that there are not many female singers I like in the first place so that has to be part of my reaction as well. I will go listen on Spotify - I guess it's on there? And I'll see if I like anything else from the album more.

I am currently on a Bee Gees kick and reading a lot about their lives. I must say, I only read for about 2 hours and looked at a lot of photos but there was a lt going on there that I would not have dreamed of.

Thanks for your review as these are not easy to do!