Freddie Mercury vs Adam Lambert….best singer

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Freddie Mercury
95%
Adam Lambert
5%

Total votes : 21

Postby KNIGHT » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:36 am

Here we have a topic that probably most of you will think that I’m crazy.

But nevertheless, between Freddie and Adam who do you think is the best singer? It doesn't mean that the comparation must be around Queen songs. Of course, most of us, if not all of us will consider Freddie a better singer when we talk about Queen songs.

But let’s face it, Adam is a pretty good singer in general:

phpBB [video]

There have been some comparations in the internet between both:

phpBB [video]

So who is the best singer…..Freddie or Adam?

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Re: Freddie Mercury vs Adam Lambert….best singer

Postby blueviolin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm

KNIGHT wrote:Here we have a topic that probably most of you will think that I’m crazy.

But nevertheless, between Freddie and Adam who do you think is the best singer? It doesn't mean that the comparation must be around Queen songs. Of course, most of us, if not all of us will consider Freddie a better singer when we talk about Queen songs.

But let’s face it, Adam is a pretty good singer in general:

phpBB [video]

There have been some comparations in the internet between both:

phpBB [video]

So who is the best singer…..Freddie or Adam?

as this is a Queen forum I think everybody will choose Freddie... And to be honest there is no doubt that Freddie is a better singer. It means also better musician. I'm not really moved by Adam's singing. He's a good entertainer that's all.
I think maybe you should try a poll about who is best singer: Adam Lambert or Paul Rodgers? That would be interesting and I think I'll choose Rodgers.
It depends what everyone qualifies as the value of a singer. And who I think is a better singer, Adam Lambert or Ian Hunter... you'll laugh but I'll still choose Hunter. Or let's say Leonard Cohen. I'll choose Cohen. edit: and I'll choose Bowie or George Michael any day as well. Not sure about John Deacon but I'm quite sure Brian May and Roger Taylor are better as well (but not very objective here :-p )
Going back to Freddie. He's not trying anything, he's just singing with his heart. Lambert is trying too much in my opinion. He's an average good singer but nothing comparable to Freddie. As behind the voice there is the person, maybe Lambert is very shiny but Freddie was true gold.

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:50 pm

blueviolin wrote:Lambert is trying too much in my opinion.

I think that's an unfair criticism. Adam doesn't try too hard. He simply has more training and is capable of doing more with his voice in terms of control and execution. At just the age of 9, he was already going to school for singing and acting at the Metropolitan Educational Theatre. Afterwards, he continued with more intense acting and vocal coaching, and had additional opportunities to hone his craft throughout middle school and high school. By 21, he was already touring Europe performing with a cast for the musical Hair. The guy has spent YEARS perfecting his voice.

Freddie's training, on the other hand, was piano lessons up to grade IV and whatever he learned in his school choir. Otherwise, he was a self-taught singer. If that's your bag, then cool. It's certainly mine as well. I agree Freddie holds more emotion with his voice, but with that rawness, it also has its comebacks. Often his voice would fail him on long tours. He'd have to cancel gigs to get his voice back, suffering of course from vocal fold nodules, which are most commonly caused by overuse and/or misuse of the vocal cords. When he couldn't sing falsetto he'd resort to belting out the notes. I absolutely love the sound he created as it sounds so powerful and macho, but I don't think this was an artistic choice, but rather a limitation of his vocal command. Freddie was excellent at recognizing this fact and adapting to the best of his ability. There's no doubt about that. But again, with training he'd have learned ways of better taking care of his voice.

Now as for who is the better singer? Now if you want to talk about who has better control and execution, then it'd go to Adam, hands down. But if that's not what you value most, and you prefer whatever it is that speaks from the soul, then I'd have to go with Freddie. There's something about his voice that speaks directly from his heart. Firstly, he wrote and/or sang those magestic melodies first. It was his interpretation that caught my attention and turned me into the devout fan I am today. Adam's interpretation, though I trust it's sincere, doesn't resonate with me in the same way. So I vote for Freddie not because I think he's the better singer, but because of the raw emotion he conveyed so effortlessly through his singing. I have to overlook his shortcomings, but it's not enough to give it over to Adam, who I still think is a fantastic vocalist...a vocalist who has dedicated years to having immaculate control over his voice.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby blueviolin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm

i was just meaning, he's trying too hard with all the gestures and his way of acting on stage; too much cinema, and so in the singing as well. I mean that it is too much controlled. It's not natural when it's always "perfect". I mean it's not for everybody's taste, but of course he's great in his way.

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Power: Freddie
Emotion: Freddie
Tone: Freddie
Diction: Freddie
Phrasing: Freddie
Range: Adam probably has the biggest range. But I think he hits high notes badly. Freddie has more power in the lower register. I dont know who has the biggest though.
Versatility: Freddie

All in all an easy win for Freddie in my opinion.

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby sharon20 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:34 pm

What a weird topic for a Queen board, I agree with blueviolin, it would make more sense to compare Adam to Paul or other singers not Freddie. That said I do agree with Frank.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 am

Another_Roger wrote:Power: Freddie
Emotion: Freddie
Tone: Freddie
Diction: Freddie
Phrasing: Freddie
Range: Adam probably has the biggest range. But I think he hits high notes badly. Freddie has more power in the lower register. I dont know who has the biggest though.
Versatility: Freddie

All in all an easy win for Freddie in my opinion.

:agreepost: Agreed.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Another_Roger wrote:Range: Adam probably has the biggest range. But I think he hits high notes badly. Freddie has more power in the lower register. I dont know who has the biggest though.

According to the site "The Range Place" Adam's range is E2-B5, while Freddie's was F2-D6, so Freddie wins that one, but not by much. By a whole step/major second, if I'm figuring that right.

As for my own opinion, I am a fan of Adam (and I think he hits high notes pretty damn well!) but I also think Freddie was possibly the best rock singer of all time, so there ya go. :D

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby WeeMann » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:17 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:Range: Adam probably has the biggest range. But I think he hits high notes badly. Freddie has more power in the lower register. I dont know who has the biggest though.

According to the site "The Range Place" Adam's range is E2-B5, while Freddie's was F2-D6, so Freddie wins that one, but not by much. By a whole step/major second, if I'm figuring that right.

Assuming you've typed those ranges correctly that's an octave plus a major 2nd. Normally these things are based on recorded output, so there's a chance either has a larger range, but both are still pretty bloody impressive.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:38 pm

WeeMann wrote:
The__KingOfRhye wrote:According to the site "The Range Place" Adam's range is E2-B5, while Freddie's was F2-D6, so Freddie wins that one, but not by much. By a whole step/major second, if I'm figuring that right.

Assuming you've typed those ranges correctly that's an octave plus a major 2nd. Normally these things are based on recorded output, so there's a chance either has a larger range, but both are still pretty bloody impressive.

No, it is a major 2nd difference, because the octave starts at C in that system. So C6 is the next highest note up from B5.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Frank » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Range is impressive (and mostly genetics), but it doesn't make a singer extraordinary. It's how you use that voice that truly matters. Which I think is why Adam can't come anywhere near Freddie's voice. That's not to say that Adam is any less of a singer. It's just I prefer the way Freddie used his voice...the way he phrased his melodies...the way he'd belt at just the right moment...or the way he'd convey the emotion of a certain lyric. Adam has his own way of singing, which works for many people, myself included, but Freddie had that certain something that I've never heard in any other voice.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby Inny » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:17 am

Freddie, of course.

Inny
Don't Stop Me Now

叙情詩

Postby Inny » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 am

Inny
Don't Stop Me Now

叙情詩

Postby bigV » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:12 am

There are days when I think that free speech is overrated.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby YAFF » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:51 pm

I played along but this is as ridiculous as asking what's better? Receiving oral sex or getting kicked in the junk?
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to Killer Queen