Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:19 pm
Thanks, BW.
I'm truly sad for you and the students.

Innuendoes

Re: What made you happy/what annoyed you today

Post by Innuendoes »

Frank wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:33 pm
Had to break the news about our HS music program being eliminated from the school day to students via Zoom. I feel like my heart has just been torn right out of me. One girl had to turn her camera off because she was so upset and furious. I'm so tired of fighting for the arts, but I'll never stop. It's going to be a long year ahead.
i'm also sorry this happened to you and to your students and colleagues. To me, there is nothing more important than the arts. But then I was also a music and art major so maybe to me it's more important but to you, not only is it important to you, it's your livelihood. That just wreaks - both of them do.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Innuendoes wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:55 am
Frank wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:33 pm
Had to break the news about our HS music program being eliminated from the school day to students via Zoom. I feel like my heart has just been torn right out of me. One girl had to turn her camera off because she was so upset and furious. I'm so tired of fighting for the arts, but I'll never stop. It's going to be a long year ahead.
i'm also sorry this happened to you and to your students and colleagues. To me, there is nothing more important than the arts. But then I was also a music and art major so maybe to me it's more important but to you, not only is it important to you, it's your livelihood. That just wreaks - both of them do.
The reason is it's so important is that it's for people like you and I. For many students the arts are the very reason they get up in the morning and go to school. It's an essential part of their lives...in fact I can easily argue it saves lives. Luckily, the HS band program will continue after school because my colleague is dedicated and hardworking, but the choir program has been completely sacked for at least the next year. My colleague and I (yep, there's only two of us) are spread too thin as it is.

I don't want to get into too many details, but suffice it to say that this has been a struggle for the past decade. It all started with a crap schedule that was put upon us and the students. It forced students to make extracurricular sacrifices which then hurt numbers. This in turn sent a message that the arts isn't needed after all. It's a miserable situation.

I did find out though that they're looking to hire someone to fill in for choir after school but it only pays about $1,900 for the year. Meanwhile they're offering $7,900 for someone to coach boys basketball. I think that says it all, to be honest, regarding priorities.
Last edited by Frank on Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Frank

Post by Frank »

And all the while, I feel guilt.

For the past 6 years I've been responsible for elementary band, choir, and general music. The job of 2 people. When I first started out all I did was general music and choir. It wasn't later until they kicked the band director out and told me to cover band as well (which I didn't mind because that's my true passion in life). But 6 years of juggling the three weighed on me. For any winter/spring concert I'd be leading nearly 150 students in two ensembles at the same time by myself. And then there are the annual trips for both groups. I've spent countless hours after school away from my wife and family, and as some of you already know, I struggle with anxiety and depression.

So this past winter after much debate with myself, my family, and my therapist, I decided to resign from elementary choir and let someone else carry the torch for a change while I give the band program my full attention and resources. It always felt like a gamble, but I figured I needed to do it for my own mental health, and I also thought that unless the people in charge see that it's a problem having someone do all 3 areas by themselves it would continue indefinitely. And by the way, the music department have argued our case but we're always told the same answer. I was hoping that by not only helping myself, I'd also be sending a clearer message that they need to hire more music teachers. They need to give us the support our students deserve. In the past decade we've gone from four to two music teachers stretched over four buildings. Thankfully, after my decision to resign, my supervisor assured me that a replacement would be found, which put my mind at ease (though I was still skeptical).

And then COVID-19 happens. The school's budget is further strained and money needs to be saved. And heaven forbid it's not music that gets hurt. So the timing of all this really upsets me. At first, I put the blame on myself. Did my decision to resign from elementary choir aid in the decision to not fill the position at the secondary level? My colleague supports me and reassures me that my decision had no effect and that this has been brewing for years. But still, I feel I should do something ... anything ... to help keep the program I love alive and well. But without support from the top it's a daunting task and, frankly, I'm sick of it. Right now, I have a mixture of feelings. Angry that we're not given the support we need for our students. Ashamed of myself for not being strong enough to keep doing the job of 2 people. And heartbroken for my students who just lost such an important part of their lives. Not to mention I'm saddened for my former colleague who was let go. Things had been looking up for him...he just got engaged, had been teaching here for a year, etc...and then he's lost a job and was torn away from his students.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Tonight is scaring the shit out of me, tornado warnings. Already lots of rain and hail.
Wish my family luck because I don't want damage done or to lose electricity.
ETA ~ Things are ok, no power loss but it was scary for a bit. I don't think I've ever seen such bright lightning before, plus the hail...but all is ok.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Being so sick for most of last night. Three days and nights of it in just a week.
And my doctor isn't available.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Watching TV last night and they had three or four kids describing their dads. They said he farted a lot, scored loudly and could be grumpy. Mrs JLP asked me if they were describing me. :lol:

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

JLP wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:40 am
Watching TV last night and they had three or four kids describing their dads. They said he farted a lot, scored loudly and could be grumpy. Mrs JLP asked me if they were describing me. :lol:
:lol:
That could have described my father too. :lol:

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Not so good when a shop has signs up for things for sale and the sale is over
Good when the cashier honors the sale price even though the sale is over.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

I just had to do something I never thought I would ever do, swallowed my pride like never before in my whole damn life, but what choice did I have.
It was done out of love, not sure if that makes a difference.