Queen+Paul Rodgers VS Queen+Adam Lambert

Queen+Paul Rodgers
48%
Queen+Adam Lambert
52%

Total votes : 25

Queen+Paul Rodgers VS Queen+Adam Lambert [Poll]

Postby KNIGHT » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:17 pm

I have seen live both collaboration between Queen+Paul Rodgers and Queen+Adam Lambert. I have to say at the beginning I didn’t like Adam Lambert. He was always screaming, and I didn’t like the way he sung. But then I saw them live last year, in what I consider one of the best Queen tours, and I was very overwhelmed by Adam.

Nowadays I prefer Queen playing music with Adam Lambert than what they have done with Paul Rodgers. I think Paul sings very well but I always thought that he didn’t fully incorporate the Queen songs.

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Re: Queen+Paul Rodgers VS Queen+Adam Lambert [Poll]

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:28 am

Paul Rodgers by a mile.

It's the difference between Queen playing with a legend in his own right whom I'm already a huge fan of, to some nobody I couldn't care less about.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:57 am

Leigh Burne wrote:Paul Rodgers by a mile.

It's the difference between Queen playing with a legend in his own right whom I'm already a huge fan of, to some nobody I couldn't care less about.

That was pretty much my exact line of thought when I first heard that QAL was going to be a thing. Because like you I was already a fan of Paul before that started, and I once it did I downloaded bootlegs, went to a QPR concert, even bought Live In Ukraine. Adam was to me, at that point, some American Idol guy I didn't even know anything about. I actually remember laughing about it with a friend of mine. But, I eventually decided to check QAL out, and give it a chance, and now I'm a fan. So...I vote Adam, but definitely not by a mile.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby bigV » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:12 am

Leigh Burne wrote:Paul Rodgers by a mile.

Paul Rodgers by a thousand miles. I still love the way he sang Queen songs. He really interpreted them, made them his own. The first tour in particular was very special.

I still play the album in my car quite often. Some of the best songs Brian and Roger have ever written are on a (now) obscure collaboration album. Those songs deserved better promotion than they got.

V.

EDIT: I was not a fan of Paul when the 2005 tour happened. I had heard some of his songs only in passing. For some reason, Bad Company and Free were never really that popular in my country. Thanks to QPR, I started to appreciate what a marvelous singer, songwriter and performer he is (especially the stunning metamorphosis he went through from the early 90's compared to when he started playing with Queen). I think now as I thought back then - Paul was a classy choice to front Queen. That other dude... that was a kitschy choice.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:26 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:But, I eventually decided to check QAL out, and give it a chance, and now I'm a fan. So...I vote Adam, but definitely not by a mile.

I have seen some Queen + Lambert stuff, on YouTube and the like. It just did nothing for me. I find Lambert to be a bit of a prat.

That's no slight against people who do enjoy his work, such as yourself, just my personal opinion.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Paul for many reasons.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Kes » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 am

Ask the question a slightly different way.

Legend in his own right versus a Freddie impersonator. Not much of a contest, really, is it?

Still, I guess as far as Brian and Roger are concerned, one of them was a bit more malleable, the other comes with an ability to say that he's had a lifetime in music, and will do it "his" way.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Kes wrote:Ask the question a slightly different way.

If, by that, you mean "ask the question in such a way that makes it an unfairly biased, loaded question"...

Legend in his own right versus a Freddie impersonator. Not much of a contest, really, is it?

This is Paul vs. Adam, not Paul vs. Marc...

Remember what I said, though, that was basically what I thought when I first heard of the Q+AL thing. If you don't like Adam, fine, but I think it's unfair to judge it just based on their previous track records, and also unfair to Adam to call him a "Freddie impersonator" because he really isn't.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Still, I guess as far as Brian and Roger are concerned, one of them was a bit more malleable, the other comes with an ability to say that he's had a lifetime in music, and will do it "his" way.

:cop: ;)
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Kes » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:50 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:

If, by that, you mean "ask the question in such a way that makes it an unfairly biased, loaded question"...

This is Paul vs. Adam, not Paul vs. Marc...

Remember what I said, though, that was basically what I thought when I first heard of the Q+AL thing. If you don't like Adam, fine, but I think it's unfair to judge it just based on their previous track records, and also unfair to Adam to call him a "Freddie impersonator" because he really isn't.

I don't think I'd put Adam Lambert in the same ball-park as Marc Martel, being honest.

And no, AL isn't a very good Freddie impersonator, as even at his worst, Freddie never hammed up the campness THAT much.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:52 pm

Kes wrote:I don't think I'd put Adam Lambert in the same ball-park as Marc Martel, being honest.

The point was, Marc is way more of a "Freddie impersonator" than Adam is.

And no, AL isn't a very good Freddie impersonator, as even at his worst, Freddie was hammed up the campness that much.

I really don't even think Adam is that much more campy than Freddie was, if that's what you're saying. What's the campiest thing Adam does while with Q+AL? Lounge on a purple couch?? Ride a bike?? Oh, the HORROR! :shock: It sounds like a silly thing to base your judgement on, anyway. Judge it based on how you like hearing Adam singing Queen songs. If you don't like that, OK then.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby Lemmy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:39 pm

I wasn't too hot on PR's voice on some of the Q songs, however, on stage-craft and presence, he outdoes AL.
AL is, certainly more suited as a voice, but there is a nasty after-taste of 'tribute band'.

Saw them both, twice each, and it was a good night out on each occasion.

If we want to feel nostalgic, we got the records. ;-) These projects are, IMO, something else involving RMT and BHM. And they're fun to attend.

Lemmy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Montreux » Sun May 20, 2018 12:29 pm

I attended 10 Queen + Paul Rodgers live concerts and I like listening tracks from The Cosmos Rocks album. After the gig in Kiev 2012 I stopped following the Queen + Adam Lambert. I like that Brian and Roger perform live, but this singer is not my cup of tea.

Montreux
Spread Your Wings

Follow that Dream...

Postby Nicki79 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:53 pm

I was a casual Queen listener until I saw them live with Lambert in 2015. Since then I have become a fan of both (spent days and days on youtube afterwards). Back then on YT I also found the footage of Queen + Paul Rodgers. And no, it did nothing for me. I am not into it, because Paul sings the songs too differently. I don’t think, I would have become a fan, if I had seen them first with him. I am of a younger generation and I wouldn’t have known a single song from Rodgers, so about half of a concert would have been rather boring. So I root for Queen +Adam Lambert. It’s simply the best show, I‘ve ever seen. And you can see, that Brian, Roger and Adam love to play these gigs: they simply radiate joy and happiness on stage.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Sat May 26, 2018 7:51 pm

I think "half" is probably a bit of an overestimate, as I don't think they ever did more than about four or five songs from Paul's back catalogue, in any one concert. And as far as most people in the rock world are concerned, songs like All Right Now and Feel Like Making Love are playing in the same ball park as most of Queen's classic rock songs.

I appreciate that Mr Lambert has brought a whole new generation along to the gigs, but I think most of them would desert the set up, within about a year of the three of them parting company.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Next

Return to Live Killers