Were any songs played live before release?

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: Which songs were played live before release?

Postby GinjaNinja » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:50 pm

Erm...

Ogre Battle and See What A Fool I've Been in Golders Green 1973? (can't remember the exact date)
Property Of Queen Productions...

GinjaNinja
Spread Your Wings

The Coppery One...

Re: Were any songs played live before release?

Postby Dittany » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:53 pm

I THINK "You Take My Breath Away" was, as was "Spread Your Wings"...don't quote me on that, though.
"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted." - John Lennon
Taylorette: More of That Jazz
Official Member of the D.M.C.

Dittany
Spread Your Wings

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

Postby Cool Cat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:48 pm

I remember Save Me being played in Nov 1979, the show i went to in Birmingham Freddie introduced it as ' new little ditty from Brian ' The single was released about 3 months later i think.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby bluerhap » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Cool Cat wrote:I remember Save Me being played in Nov 1979, the show i went to in Birmingham Freddie introduced it as ' new little ditty from Brian ' The single was released about 3 months later i think.

You`re right, they played it on the crazy tour long before release.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:47 pm

I think Rock You and Champions, were played on the US tour before the album came out.

Too Much Love Will Kill You was played at the Freddie Tribute before either the Brian solo version or Queen versions were released.

The Golder's Green Hippodrome version of SWAFIB, had the original verse lyrics, not the ones that appeared on the B side, Ogre Battle, yep good call, and I have no recollection of YTMBA or Spread Your Wings being played on stage prior to their respective album's release dates. With YTMBA, that would have had to been the tour with Hyde Park and Cardiff Castle on it, wouldn't it? Nah, don't remember it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby planetgurl » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:27 am

Fred played YTMBA at Hyde Park in '76.

planetgurl
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:27 pm

planetgurl wrote:Fred played YTMBA at Hyde Park in '76.

You were there, so I'll take that on-board. Cheers!
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby play it cool » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:45 am

Tie Your Mother Down was also performed at the September '76 gigs - but not Hyde Park.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby Lester Burnham » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:50 pm

A lot of Hot Space was also played live before the album was released in May '82.

Lester Burnham
We Will Rock You

Postby Lester Burnham » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:29 pm

ptracer wrote:The fans must have been so disappointed.

Actually yeah, if you go to Bob's Queen Live Page and poke around the April-May 1982 dates, there are some pretty good stories of fans not really liking the new songs, and the band's confidence flagging to the point that they were constantly restructuring the set list and removing some of the newer songs to appease the audience.

Lester Burnham
We Will Rock You

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Lester Burnham wrote:Actually yeah, if you go to Bob's Queen Live Page and poke around the April-May 1982 dates, there are some pretty good stories of fans not really liking the new songs, and the band's confidence flagging to the point that they were constantly restructuring the set list and removing some of the newer songs to appease the audience.

I was checking out that site earlier and was very pleased to find a pic and newspaper review of Queen's concert in Ottawa, Canada back in '78!! :onfire: I lived there at the time but didn't see the show so it's nice to have this bit of info!! :biggrin:
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby Simon » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:01 pm

And the Back Chat riff, which is played shortly at the Montreal gig we got on DVD now ;).
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Action This Day » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Many of the songs performed live from the first two albums were played before release but also all of the following:

Now I'm Here
Flick of the Wrist
In the Lap of the Gods
In the Lap of the Gods (Revisited)
Stone Cold Crazy
Sweet Lady
The Prophet's Song
Tie Your Mother Down
You Take My Breath Away
Let Me Entertain You
Dreamer's Ball
If You Can't Beat Them
Save Me
Battle Theme
The Hero
Staying Power
Action This Day
Back Chat

No material from The Works or A Kind of Magic was performed before release since their respective tours started after the album was released - six months later in the case of The Works. You have to admire Queen for having the nerve to test out unreleased material on their audience. Not many other bands would do it.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby sebastian » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Simply put:

All of Queen (I) except for 'My Fairy King', as most of the songs were done even before John Deacon joined them in '71. Regarding post-Deacy songs, both 'Jesus' and 'The Night Comes Down' were reportedly done in 1972, a year before the album was issued.

'Ogre Battle' and 'See What a Fool I've Been' were performed in 1973, but released in 1974. 'Father to Son' was only released on 8th March 1974 and by then Queen'd already begun their tour. If they started off with 'Procession' (tape) and then 'Father to Son', then you've got another one. Regarding 'Seven Seas of Rhye'... that one doesn't count as the single was already out by 1st March (when the tour began), unless they played it in Oz but there's absolutely nothing to confirm or deny that.

Sheer Heart Attack: The tour began on 30th October, which is after the 'Killer Queen' / 'Flick of the Wrist' single was issued but before the rest of the album. That means 'Brighton Rock', 'Now I'm Here', 'In the Lap of the Gods', 'Stone Cold Crazy' (which had been played live since 1970), 'Bring Back That Leroy Brown' and 'In the Lap of the Gods... Revisited' were all performed before release.

A Night at the Opera: Same case - single was out but not the album, so it means 'Prophet's Song' and 'Sweet Lady' were played live before they were released. The rest of the songs would be introduced later on.

A Day at the Races: 'Tie Your Mother Down' and 'You Take My Breath Away'.

'Save Me' counts too, as the single was issued after the Crazy tour had ended.

The Game was released on 30th June 1980, simultaneously in Britain and the States (don't know about Canada), and on that same date the tour began in Vancouver. So, it could be quibbled that the songs were out but most of the audience probably hadn't heard them as they were queuing and probably hadn't been able to buy the record by the time they entered the venue. If so, we've got 'Dragon Attack', 'Another One Bites the Dust', 'Need Your Loving Tonight' and 'Rock It' (if they did it) played live on the day they were released. The title track doesn't count as the single was already out by then.

Flash Gordon: 'Battle Theme' was already played in Switzerland long before the album was issued. They also played 'The Hero' in West Germany nearly two weeks before the album was released. By the time they added the titled song to the setlist the album wasn't still out, but the single was, so that one doesn't count.

Hot Space: Tour began in April and the album wouldn't be released until late May. It means that several songs were done long before their release: 'Staying Power', 'Back Chat', 'Action This Day'. 'Put Out the Fire' was apparently introduced in America, long after the album release. Same for 'Life Is Real'. 'Body Language'... the first documented performance (AFAIK) is in Canada, where it was a huge hit. I don't know if they played it in Europe, I think they may have, but the single preceded the album anyway. 'Calling All Girls' was apparently done in North America only, and by then the album was already out.

And that's it.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Action This Day » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:22 pm

Good post sebastian but what about songs from Jazz? The album came out in November 1978 but the tour started in October so you can add Let Me Entertain You, If You Can't Beat Them and Dreamer's Ball to the list as well.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Next

Return to Live Killers