Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: 1983

Postby fosterol » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:23 pm

y2marmar wrote:It is a bit funny.

Do you know, if all the people who ever claimed they saw Queen's gig at Knebworth, had really been there, the back of the crowd would have probably been in Stevenage town centre.

my overriding memories of Knebworth are
1. an hour trying to find our coach afterwards
2. Queen flying overhead
3. the awful walk back through the grounds and the fences being ripped down and that bloody ditch nearly kept falling down
4. the nutter headbanging on top of the screen during Quo
5. belouisome getting bottled off
6. freddie nearly ruining love of my life by singing 'i still fucking love you'
7. our bus driver falling asleep on the way back
8. the air full of bottles of piss and i think it was gerry stickells coming on and telling everyone to stop chucking them. that was genuinely scary
9. that wonderful One Vision intro

wouldnt have missed it for the world

fosterol
We Will Rock You

Postby y2marmar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 pm

I would love to have been there.
See me, feel me, touch me, heal me...

y2marmar
We Will Rock You

Postby action » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 pm

i'm working on the blue ray version of knebworth, since i have acquired the master tapes from a close contact within the road crew 8)

queen never intended to record the show, but some clever technician decided to connect a few wires to some devices :D
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby Kes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:23 pm

action wrote:i'm working on the blue ray version of knebworth, since i have acquired the master tapes from a close contact within the road crew 8)

queen never intended to record the show, but some clever technician decided to connect a few wires to some devices :D

You do know the only official cameras there were the ones for the Starvision screen? If an official video release ever came out of Knebworth, they only had about a third of the cameras they'd need to pull off a commercially viable film. Add to that, Blu-ray is a hi-def format, and the Starvision feed was comparitively low resolution. AFAIK, the only stuff Queen did that's suitable for Blu-ray was stuff shot on celluloid, and I think they didn't do too many of those.

Reality check. We're more likely to see Rio, Hyde Park, Houston, Hammersmith '79, Budapest, the two Japanese shows, Rainbow, and Hammy '75 on official release before Knebworth. However, I will agree Knebworth stands a better chance than Go-Dog.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby action » Sun May 02, 2010 9:26 am

just watched Dorog again :)

i think i'll destroy my copy (it was the only copy that was sold apparently, despite it having shipped to HMV in a shitload of numbers), as i think this concert should remain a mystique. i should be the only person that watched the blue ray 8)
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby y2marmar » Mon May 03, 2010 12:03 am

You might as well destroy it, considering no-one believes you anyway

y2marmar
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 pm

It's OK, Marmite, he probably has copies of the other 37 secret private gigs that Queen did in 1983. Apparently, Freddie geared them up for anyone who could make a pair of clogs out of fox's or badger's semen (or a cocktail of the two). Obviously, Freddie not being a prolific wearer of clogs would then in turn donate them to Brian.

Do you know how many fox wanks it apparently takes to make a set of clogs? .....F*cking LOTS! :shock: That's a lot of VERY happy foxes.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Two sharp pencils » Wed May 12, 2010 7:36 pm

fosterol wrote:
y2marmar wrote:It is a bit funny.

Do you know, if all the people who ever claimed they saw Queen's gig at Knebworth, had really been there, the back of the crowd would have probably been in Stevenage town centre.

my overriding memories of Knebworth are
1. an hour trying to find our coach afterwards
2. Queen flying overhead
3. the awful walk back through the grounds and the fences being ripped down and that bloody ditch nearly kept falling down
4. the nutter headbanging on top of the screen during Quo
5. belouisome getting bottled off
6. freddie nearly ruining love of my life by singing 'i still fucking love you'
7. our bus driver falling asleep on the way back
8. the air full of bottles of piss and i think it was gerry stickells coming on and telling everyone to stop chucking them. that was genuinely scary
9. that wonderful One Vision intro

wouldnt have missed it for the world

My memories of Knebworth were :

1 As i lived/live in Stevenage i couldn't believe my luck that 'my band' were playing across the road at Knebworth.
2 i got there early & once the gates had opened i positioned myself near to the stage but far away enough not to be in that mad crush down the front.I had decided (wisely) not to drink All day so that i didn't have to move from my spot but i ate everything i took in a small hamper.
3 I couldn't believe the size of the crowd,apparently only 120,000 were allowed to go but i honestly believe it was nearer to 180,000.Since that day i've seen Robbie williams over Knebworth where he played to 125,000 & the crowd seemed a lot smaller than the Queen gig.Firstly Robbie (& even Oasis) had a 'special' enclosure right at the front which only permitted a certain amount of people into it & secondly the surrounding fence around the venue was much smaller than for Queens' show.
4 i also remember the madman playing the giant cut out guitar during Quos' set (apparently he was a roadie for Quo)
5 During Big Countrys' set a very large metal pole was thrown onstage narrowly missing bassist Tony butler & i thought they were gonna have the same problems as Belouisome but thankfully they seemed to win the crowd over & were well recieved by the end.
6 The bottle throwing started off in a friendly manner which sadly did become frightening & i'm sure it was Promoter Harvey Goldsmith who addressed the crowd.
7 Queen were magnificent from start to finish. (i'd attended a great show at Wembley Stadium on the Saturday but there were some sound problems including Rogers' snare drum being way too loud.) The highlight for me was Radio Ga Ga when i stood on tiptoes & looked all around me to see a magnificent sight of thousands of pairs of hands clapping all in time,god knows what that looked like to Freddie & the boys on Stage.!!!
8 Sadly some guy from Scotland was stabbed to death during the show.
9 Getting out was a nightmare !!! No lighting to show you the way out & thousands of frustrated people could have ended in people getting crushed etc.
10 Didn't know it at the time (obviously) but i'm so glad that i was one of many that was lucky enough to be at their last gig

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Wed May 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Apart from turning the bloody stage lights off while 3/4 of the audience were still inside the perimeter, one of the reasons it took so long to get out, was the Cops were searching for the person who did the stabbing, or at least some more evidence, anyway.

A woman gave birth in the audience, too, that day, adding to the philosophy that one arrives, one goes.

I remember looking round just as the band came on stage, and think "F*CKING HELL! That's a LOT of people in one field!"
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Two sharp pencils » Wed May 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Kes wrote:Apart from turning the bloody stage lights off while 3/4 of the audience were still inside the perimeter, one of the reasons it took so long to get out, was the Cops were searching for the person who did the stabbing, or at least some more evidence, anyway.

A woman gave birth in the audience, too, that day, adding to the philosophy that one arrives, one goes.

I remember looking round just as the band came on stage, and think "F*CKING HELL! That's a LOT of people in one field!"

The person who stabbed the guy to death was caught the next day,a local guy from Stevenage who as far as i'm aware is still doing time.

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Wed May 12, 2010 7:53 pm

It happened about forty foot behind where we were stood. St John's Ambulance were squeezing past us, like crazy, trying to save the poor bugger. Didn't have a scooby-doo what had actually happened though, until we read teletext the next day.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Apart from the things mentioned above by other people, one of my over-riding memories of the day, was using the toilets off to the right of the place, near all the merchandise stalls and burger stands. Having a pee, and watching all these floaters go by. On hearing the comments on customers using the food outlets, I had this very disturbing idea, they were possibly recycling the sh*t into the raw materials for the burger stands. :oops:
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby action » Thu May 13, 2010 12:12 pm

the wait is over :D

everyone, go to HMV now, there just arrived 200 new copies, they will be the last!!

only sold in HMV london, oxford street, TODAY

dont miss the chance :mrgreen:

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bluerhap » Thu May 13, 2010 12:21 pm

action wrote:the wait is over :D

everyone, go to HMV now, there just arrived 200 new copies, they will be the last!!

Wouldn`t like to be the poor bugger at the checkout today.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby y2marmar » Thu May 13, 2010 10:15 pm

action wrote:the wait is over :D

Convenient that they're only being sold in one shop, ain't it? :P

y2marmar
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Live Killers