Johns Songs Live

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Johns Songs Live

Postby fosterol » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Freddie and Brian really didnt have a clue what to do in ''Need your loving tonight''
Freddie didnt really have much success with remembering ''spread your wings'' and only once nailed the high notes
Fred shouted ''i want to break free''
They only did one verse of ''friends will be friends''

Misfire / you and i / who needs you / one year of love / cool cat / in only seven days....never attempted live

success's
bites the dust (not bad tho again shouty vocals
if you cant beat them Roger to the high notes rescue
best friend delightful live
back chat, shite song but okay live

Not a great live track record really

fosterol
We Will Rock You

Re: Johns Songs Live

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:43 pm

The way John wrote didn't really lend itself to the way Queen performed live. Most of John's songs meant Freddie sand slower, softer and sweeter than their other songs, whereas Queen live was harder and faster, you couldn't really do a rock version of all the ones they never tried. They would have had to change the key or do a different arrangement for quite a few of them live and it looks to me like they didn't do that often, their live performances were kinda warts and all and it was the show, rather than the musical success of each song, that made their gigs.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby sebastian » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:58 am

IMO, the four of them argued a lot about which songs to play, and probably John yelled less than the others, resulting in him losing. Freddie and Brian, OTOH, rowed a lot more and had far more material to choose from, so they usually won.

I really like the way they did 'Spread Your Wings' especially before they released it as a single, and I also like 'Need Your Loving' a lot. 'Break Free' - I've never liked it either live or in the studio. 'Friends Will Be Friends'... they actually did two verses most of the time, and the full version a couple of times.

Now:

> The way John wrote didn't really lend itself to the way Queen performed live.

True, but that also happened with the others. Not an excuse IMO.

> you couldn't really do a rock version of all the ones they never tried.

Of course you could - if Paul Anka could sing Smells Like Teen Spirit, then everything's possible!

> They would have had to change the key or do a different arrangement for quite a few of them live and it looks to me like they didn't do that often

Oh really?

Keep Yourself Alive - Faster, different set-up for BV's, stripped down guitar arrangement, etc.
Doin' All Right - Stripped down guitar arrangement, altered vocal melodies, different drum arrangement.
Great King Rat - Stripped down guitar arrangement, altered vocal melodies, tempo changes.
Liar - Stripped down guitar and vocal arrangement, drumming ad-libs, etc.
Son & Daughter - Totally different solo, different drum arrangement (with more toms), altered vocal melodies, etc.
Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll - Different tempo, different drum arrangement, different ending, different melody, different singer.

And that's only about the first album. They DID change loads and loads and loads of subtle and not-so-subtle things in the arrangements. Sometimes to extremes (Love of My Life).
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:32 am

I didn't say it was an excuse, more just it was the case. :P All right it would have ruined songs like Spread Your Wings, for example, to try to make it really rock and roll. Have you heard the Blind Guardian version? I rather like it, but while it's harsher and faster, it's still got essentially the same melody and is very, very soft by their standards. John's songs more than the others, I love because they are so different in their non-rock ways, I doubt John wrote those ways because he wanted them made into rock versions live.

I didn't mean they didn't change the songs at all to play them live, of course they did, I meant that they didn't often do a completely different arrangement, like the slow version of Hammer To Fall, for example. I'm sure there was barely a song live if any, that didn't have some changes made to it, but there weren't many that were basically different songs live, which a rocked up version of a John ballad would have been. You can nearly always tell a John song from the way Freddie sings it, you don't hear that softer, non-shouty tone live, nearly as much. Or if you prefer as you know much more about it than me, I can see why John's songs weren't as used live, without it coming down to who shouted the loudest.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby ice on fire » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 am

I quite like how Freddie sang the songs John wrote. ABTD is quite agressive, love it in the studio, love it even more live. I wish John wrote more and lent his voice more~thats my only quibbles about him.

ice on fire

Postby fosterol » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:31 am

i only seven days / misfire / who needs you. would have leant themselves perfectly to the queen acoustic set, certainly more than dreamers ball
If they could do '' best friend '' they could have done '' you and i '', very similar feel, musical difficulty, place in the setlist

Queens idea of mostly just play the hits (84 onwards) really grates with me..The aforementioned John's songs would have been really interesting and enjoyable live tracks, even being rotated

instead we get the quite frankly inferior back chat//break free/ bites the dust..whether played well or not

fosterol
We Will Rock You

Postby Teo_torriate04 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: the earlier post, How can you say Spread Your Wings didn't work live!!

I saw it at the Boxing Day gig in '79 and it was an absolute highlight, and was gutted when it was dropped from the set when I saw them the following year.

I've always maintained that if SYW had been the first single from NOTW it would have been a top 5 single (especially if they'd used the BBC version and not the one that ultimately made it onto the album), not only that but as a result the song would have made it onto GH1 and would subsequently be much better known today.

Teo_torriate04
Spread Your Wings

Postby fosterol » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:19 pm

It does work i actually really like it, however technically for freddie its another vocal kop out..it isnt about doing a version of the song, he just cant hit the notes and for me those notes are the highlight of the song..I like what the band do on it...

fosterol
We Will Rock You

Postby QueenUSA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:19 pm

Teo_torriate04 wrote:Re: the earlier post, How can you say Spread Your Wings didn't work live!!

I saw it at the Boxing Day gig in '79 and it was an absolute highlight, and was gutted when it was dropped from the set when I saw them the following year.

I've always maintained that if SYW had been the first single from NOTW it would have been a top 5 single (especially if they'd used the BBC version and not the one that ultimately made it onto the album), not only that but as a result the song would have made it onto GH1 and would subsequently be much better known today.

Why do you like the BBC version of Spread Your Wings over the album version?

Also, I agree that the verion on Live Killers is one of the VERY FEW TIMES where the "live" version was equal to or better than the studio version

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby Teo_torriate04 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:53 am

That's precisely my point. The BBC version of SYW was the same as the Live killers version in that you get the powerful solo at the end building up to a finish. The NOTW version has that (in comparison) limp fade out at the end which (IMO) just doesn't satisfy!

Believe me, being in an audience belting out 'Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, fly away' was an experience which is right up there with Champions and Rock You and should never have been dropped from the set. I wonder what it would have sounded like with Mr Rodgers taking the vocal?!

Teo_torriate04
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lily of the Valley » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am

Belle Leisha wrote:The way John wrote didn't really lend itself to the way Queen performed live. Most of John's songs meant Freddie sand slower, softer and sweeter than their other songs, whereas Queen live was harder and faster, you couldn't really do a rock version of all the ones they never tried. They would have had to change the key or do a different arrangement for quite a few of them live and it looks to me like they didn't do that often, their live performances were kinda warts and all and it was the show, rather than the musical success of each song, that made their gigs.

:agreepost:
Probably, that's it. I don't think that Fred,Bri and Rog didn't
play Johnny's songs live very well in purpose. I completely agree with Siobhan.

The Black Side :twisted: and the White Side :angel:

LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2011, Co-Winner with FreddiesShootingStar

Lily of the Valley
Spread Your Wings

"...But that's only onstage. Offstage, well I'm certainly not an ogre" ~ Freddie Mercury

Postby Johnny 1989 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:48 pm

Teo_torriate04 wrote:That's precisely my point. The BBC version of SYW was the same as the Live killers version in that you get the powerful solo at the end building up to a finish. The NOTW version has that (in comparison) limp fade out at the end which (IMO) just doesn't satisfy!

Believe me, being in an audience belting out 'Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, fly away' was an experience which is right up there with Champions and Rock You and should never have been dropped from the set. I wonder what it would have sounded like with Mr Rodgers taking the vocal?!

It's a shame that SYW disappeared from their live performances so quickly, it's also a shame the song didn't chart that highly either, it seems to be on of those forgotten gems.

Out of the two versions (BBC/NOTW) I have to say although I think the NOTW version is great the BBC version is better due to the powerful solo as you mention above, it just adds to the song and I hope it gets released on the deluxe edition of NOTW (along with the fast version of WWRY which again I think is better than the NOTW version).
Regards, Johnny 1989

Johnny 1989
Spread Your Wings

Return to Live Killers