Unremastered Milton Keynes show on Sky Anytime

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Unremastered Milton Keynes show on Sky Anytime

Postby Action This Day » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:01 pm

For UK viewers Queen Live @ Milton Keynes 1982 is available on the Sky Anytime feature until Thursday. I have it recorded. This older version is interesting because it isn't the same as the On Fire version, this is the original unremastered TV broadcast without all the corrections which were added later for the On Fire version.

Listening to it I was amazed how much 'fixing' went into the On Fire release - there are loads of slight mistakes on this and lots of keyboard parts which were removed for the official DVD. The Hero and We Will Rock You (fast) in particular have keyboard parts which I had never heard before and Freddie's famous voice crack on 'locality' in Fat Bottomed Girls is there in all its glory.

To be honest I prefer the sound of many of the songs on this version to the official release, The Hero especially. Many songs were cut for this TV version including amazingly WWRY slow - here's what they left in:

Flash
The Hero
We Will Rock You (fast)
Play The Game
Staying Power
Somebody To Love
Now I'm Here
Love of My Life
Save Me
Fat Bottomed Girls
Bohemian Rhapsody
Tie Your Mother Down
We Are The Champions

The date at the end is 1996 and the intro has the gold crest and 'Queen' writing as in the Greatest Hits II album. Was this version ever officially available?
Last edited by Action This Day on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Re: Unremastered Milton Keynes show on Sky Anytime

Postby Montreux » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:06 pm

I watched this version on czech TV. It's version without any overdubs.

Montreux
Spread Your Wings

Follow that Dream...

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:00 am

I've got that on vhs from a Channel 4 broadcast just after Freddie's death... so I'm confused by the 1996 copyright!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Action This Day » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:01 am

Didy I had a VHS copy of that Channel 4 version from 1991 as well but this one is even more edited. I distinctly remember the Channel 4 version featured Dragon Attack and Under Pressure but this 1996 version doesn't.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:19 am

Action This Day wrote:Didy I had a VHS copy of that Channel 4 version from 1991 as well but this one is even more edited. I distinctly remember the Channel 4 version featured Dragon Attack and Under Pressure but this 1996 version doesn't.

Aha, yes... sorry, I hadn't noticed they were missing from the tracklisting. Very interesting...

Presumably they made this shorter edit to send out across the globe for broadcasts?
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:44 am

Sir Didymus wrote:
Action This Day wrote:Didy I had a VHS copy of that Channel 4 version from 1991 as well but this one is even more edited. I distinctly remember the Channel 4 version featured Dragon Attack and Under Pressure but this 1996 version doesn't.

Aha, yes... sorry, I hadn't noticed they were missing from the tracklisting. Very interesting...

Presumably they made this shorter edit to send out across the globe for broadcasts?

I think the original broadcast, on the Tube, in 1982 was much longer. This one tends to pop on VH1 and various music channels from time to time. Looks like Sky Arts may have goten the rights for now.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I have a VHS copy of the original Tube broadcast, and it's got bits shot from within the crowd, in amongst about 20 minutes-half an hour of crap from the Tyne Tees studio. I'm not sure the gig is particularly any longer than the one broadcast in 1992, but as always, I "may" be wrong.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Johnny 1989 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 am

Kes wrote:I have a VHS copy of the original Tube broadcast, and it's got bits shot from within the crowd, in amongst about 20 minutes-half an hour of crap from the Tyne Tees studio. I'm not sure the gig is particularly any longer than the one broadcast in 1992, but as always, I "may" be wrong.

Interesting stuff, seems that by Live Magic they had improved their edits somewhat, although there's still quite a bit cut from that one as well, I couldn't believe how much they had cut on C4 after I had got the Wembley DVD a few years back.
Regards, Johnny 1989

Johnny 1989
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Johnny 1989 wrote:
Kes wrote:I have a VHS copy of the original Tube broadcast, and it's got bits shot from within the crowd, in amongst about 20 minutes-half an hour of crap from the Tyne Tees studio. I'm not sure the gig is particularly any longer than the one broadcast in 1992, but as always, I "may" be wrong.

Interesting stuff, seems that by Live Magic they had improved their edits somewhat, although there's still quite a bit cut from that one as well, I couldn't believe how much they had cut on C4 after I had got the Wembley DVD a few years back.

From what I remember, the original PMI VHS release of Wembley, was pretty close to what was broadcast, minus the adverts, of course. The title of it for the broadcast, was "Real Magic', or something similar. Incidentally, I think was UK independent television's (ie NOT the BBC) first ever simulcast, with country-wide network radio.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Action This Day » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Yes Kes it was called Real Magic - it was my introduction to live Queen. Needless to say I was hooked!

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Johnny 1989 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Oops my mistake, of course it was Real Magic, how the hell did I forget that seeing as I watched this over & over again as a kid :oops: :lol:

I think Tyne Tees Television made this for Channel 4 via their music programme "The Tube" IIRC (been about 10 years since I've seen that tape)
Regards, Johnny 1989

Johnny 1989
Spread Your Wings

Postby Action This Day » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Just watched it again and noticed that the 1996 version was produced by Eagle Vision.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby kurgan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Just to clarify, the recent SKY Arts broadcast is the same edit, and it has a mono audio mix.
The long and short TV edits from channel 4 in 1983 and 1992 are also mono audio mixes.
The good news is, all three versions do not suffer from the same tampering (fixes) present on the official release.
I collected all four of these versions as I was at the concert.

kurgan
We Will Rock You

Postby Jimi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:20 am

The opening credits of The Tube featured for a long time an action shot of Brian coloured in red and Roger coloured in green from the MK gig.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby hotspace1966 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 am

I remember being stood in front of the guy that shouted ...'GET IT RIGHT' during the intro to STL and this was clearly heard on the Tube broadcast. I also have this on VHS tape somewhere in my collection, also seem to remember the guy that was sleeping on top of a pole !!!!
Great show, crap venue, just glad it was dry

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Live Killers