Songs That You Prefer Live

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: Songs That You Prefer Live

Postby Queenrocks1234 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Well to start with the obvious...

Staying Power, Back Chat and Action This Day sounded much better at Milton Keynes
If only the whole bloody album sounded like that!

Speaking of MK Somebody To Love sounded excellent especially 5:28-5:50 of the You Tube clip below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLecS_ZoIj0

It's a great song on record but played live it's even better.

Let Me Entertain You on 'Live Killers' love the intro, definitely more edge than on 'Jazz'

I honestly can't think of any other live versions that are better than on the albums.

FREDDIE MERCURY 1991-2011

20 YEARS ON BUT THE LEGEND NEVER DIES!

Queenrocks1234
Spread Your Wings

Postby mab » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:28 pm

I think Queen's material worked better live than on the record more often than not actually.

The records are often missing a bit of edge, a bit of feeling, a bit of energy. Live, they always had those qualities in abundance.

Dreamer's Ball is another that is much better live than the Jazz version OR the early acoustic take. Again - much more of a 'feel' to it.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby MyMorningJacket » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:57 pm

- White Queen - Any live version!

- White Man - Awesome live song!

- Stone Cold Crazy - Rainbow live version

- Modern Times Rock N Roll - Awesome live song!

- Back Chat

- Radio Ga Ga

- A Kind Of Magic

- I Want To Break Free

MyMorningJacket
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:41 am

I'd love to read the reasoning of most people here. Why for instance do so many people mention White Queen as a song they prefer live? I listened to the live rendition on the bonus disc yesterday for the first time. For me, the hauting album version is closer to my liking. But I noticed that it must have been quite hard to play it live. Don't know why I thought that though. And being hard to play live certainly is no reason to like it more.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BHM0086 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:20 am

I think most of the 80's stuff from hot space to magic sounded better live. Hammer to fall and one vision certainly have more energy as does all of the hot space tracks. The only album tracks I'd say were better are who wants to live forever, friends will be friends and possibly break free.

BHM0086
Spread Your Wings

I've been here beforr a long time ago, but this time I wear no sandals

Postby mab » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Simon wrote:I'd love to read the reasoning of most people here. Why for instance do so many people mention White Queen as a song they prefer live? I listened to the live rendition on the bonus disc yesterday for the first time. For me, the hauting album version is closer to my liking. But I noticed that it must have been quite hard to play it live. Don't know why I thought that though. And being hard to play live certainly is no reason to like it more.

But no one is saying that they like it more cos it was 'hard to play' live. You are just presuming a) that it WAS hard to play (perhaps it wasn't that hard at all) and b) that people like it live for THAT reason.

People like White Queen live cos of the very different arrangement that they used. The instrumental break is a lot different with piano and electric guitar in place of the 'sitar effect' acoustic on the record. Lots of their tracks didn't change THAT much live.

Unfortunately, I don't think they ever quite nailed it. Freddie's piano motif around the 'I call her name/when she came' part is bloody awful on most recordings I've heard - it sounds out of tune and on the Hammersmith performance (which has a really nice expressive vocal from Fred and the best guitar solo of any version I've heard - which I would say is why it was chosen for the bonus EP) Freddie also fumbles the keys and they've had to (sort of) try to hide that on the EP. It sounds flat on the Rainbow version too (you can actually see Freddie visibly flinch on the Hammersmith and Rainbow footage at how bad the notes sound) and Brian's solo isn't so hot there either. It doesn't have the direction or focus of the Hammersmith solo. The piano backing that Freddie provided to the instrumental break sounded fine though.

On the BBC version, the piano sounds flat (again) at a few points and worst of all Fred's vocal on the 'and when she came' part is one of his weakest vocal moments. I've not heard him struggle to pitch so badly anywhere else. Shame cos the BBC version is almost brilliant but it's hard to get passed Fred's wobbly vocal.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby Kes » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:28 pm

In The Lap Of The Gods (...Revisited), particularly the version from the Hammersmith Odeon '75. Why? Purely in the way Freddie sings it, especially the second verse.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love, I just love the groups of three long chords in the final section. The studio version was one thing, live it just changed into something MUCH bigger.

Somebody To Love, again, my favourite section of it live is the final section with the long chords. I like both the Montreal and MK versions of it, both as good as each other, but in different ways.

Brighton Rock, good studio track, but I think always better live.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby mab » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Which is the best version (live) of In The Lap Of The Gods (NOT revisited)? Rainbow (mono only)?

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby Kes » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:01 pm

I've also got it on The Royal American Tour bootleg, I think. I don't remember it being really very good on any of them, thinking about it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby bigV » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Simon wrote:
mab wrote:Disagree about Now I'm Here - the studio cut is better in my view.

Not a great fan of this song in general. But I prefer the faster approach (and Roger's tortured look during drumming).

The Budapest version is the best in my opinion. Very punchy!

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby mab » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Out of interest, is the live version of Stone Cold Crazy as released as the b-side of the The Miracle single in mono?

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby Simon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 pm

mab wrote:
Simon wrote:I'd love to read the reasoning of most people here. Why for instance do so many people mention White Queen as a song they prefer live? I listened to the live rendition on the bonus disc yesterday for the first time. For me, the hauting album version is closer to my liking. But I noticed that it must have been quite hard to play it live. Don't know why I thought that though. And being hard to play live certainly is no reason to like it more.

But no one is saying that they like it more cos it was 'hard to play' live. You are just presuming a) that it WAS hard to play (perhaps it wasn't that hard at all) and b) that people like it live for THAT reason.

People like White Queen live cos of the very different arrangement that they used. The instrumental break is a lot different with piano and electric guitar in place of the 'sitar effect' acoustic on the record. Lots of their tracks didn't change THAT much live.

No, no, no. I stated that I thought it was hard to perform live. Since I have no experience in band performance that doesn't mean anything. And I did not mean to imply that people might like it because of that. I was merely stating that this wouldn't be a reason for me to prefer it.
Further, you are assuming for other people why they prefer the live version(s). Would like to hear their opinion.

Never liked Crazy Little Thing Called Love live especially because it was played so tediously long. It's a funny and catchy little song that was blown way out of proportion in live sets.
"You Take My Breath Away" live on the bonus disc of Day at the Races (a friend played it for me) really impressed me. Gotta read the story about that take. Indeed breathtaking.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby GinjaNinja » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:12 pm

mab wrote:Out of interest, is the live version of Stone Cold Crazy as released as the b-side of the The Miracle single in mono?

Yes. (Though there may be slight EQ'ing differences between the two channels)
Property Of Queen Productions...

GinjaNinja
Spread Your Wings

The Coppery One...

Postby Peaches Hoople » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:11 pm

Definitely White Queen, and I love WWRY(fast version) even though we haven't go a studio version to compare.
Go Go Go Little Queenie

Peaches Hoople
Spread Your Wings

Postby remy13127 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Peaches Hoople wrote:Definitely White Queen, and I love WWRY(fast version) even though we haven't go a studio version to compare.

Yes, we have ! Listen to the News of the world BBC sessions...

remy13127
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Live Killers