Live Killers Re-release

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Should the 'Bleeps' remain in Live Killers when it has a remaster ?

Yes
1
4%
No
24
89%
Couldn't give a F*(Bleep)*k
2
7%
 
Total votes : 27

Live Killers Re-release

Postby maidenpriest » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:46 am

If (and when) Live Killers get remastered would you prefer the censored 'Bleeps' prior to Death On Two Legs to be left intact so we can here what offensive words Freddie used or removed ? :P
 
maidenpriest
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby icy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:17 am

How about 2 versions, the swearing could be a bonus :P.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16266
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby Kes » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Guess it depends whether the dirty nasty motherf*cker is still alive, and/or likely to sue.

"This next song is from 'A Night At The Opera'. This is about a dirty nasty man, we call him motherf*cker, do you know what motherf*cker means? I'm sure you have a word for it! We call him... we also call him 'Death on Two Legs' Heh heh heh hey!"

Trivia bit 25,042: His brother, and co-owner/founder of a certain studio in London, was also the sound engineer on 'Hey Jude'.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14739
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 351 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby Snackpot » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:55 am

I don't get why they didn't edit that bit out in the first place rather than bleep it. Unless the idea was to let everyone know that he swore.
 
Snackpot
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:23 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby maidenpriest » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Kes wrote:Guess it depends whether the dirty nasty motherf*cker is still alive, and/or likely to sue.

"This next song is from 'A Night At The Opera'. This is about a dirty nasty man, we call him motherf*cker, do you know what motherf*cker means? I'm sure you have a word for it! We call him... we also call him 'Death on Two Legs' Heh heh heh hey!"

Trivia bit 25,042: His brother, and co-owner/founder of a certain studio in London, was also the sound engineer on 'Hey Jude'.


Barry Shelfield or Ken Scott ?? :)
 
maidenpriest
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby icy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:33 am

Snackpot, I am pretty sure fans knew Freddie swore before then :P.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16266
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:06 am

I'm surprised he only swore once :D :D
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run
 
RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:38 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby Snackpot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:12 am

icy wrote:Snackpot, I am pretty sure fans knew Freddie swore before then :P.


Indeed but why leave it in? It seems an odd thing to bleep a heavily edited live album. Especially something that doesn't actually have to be there at all. Wasn't it Live Magic where they removed reference to Freddie claiming that the next song (AOBTD) was where he was to thrown his 'c**t around the stage' more than previously?

It made as much sense leaving it in as printing a page of a book and then blanking it out. If the words weren't suitable for public consumption and they certainly weren't integral to the song (and even if it was then so what as nobody was able to hear what they were) why not just edit to the point where the song starts rather than leave it in?
 
Snackpot
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:23 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby maidenpriest » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:17 am

Snackpot wrote:
icy wrote:Snackpot, I am pretty sure fans knew Freddie swore before then :P.


Indeed but why leave it in? It seems an odd thing to bleep a heavily edited live album. Especially something that doesn't actually have to be there at all. Wasn't it Live Magic where they removed reference to Freddie claiming that the next song (AOBTD) was where he was to thrown his 'c**t around the stage' more than previously?

It made as much sense leaving it in as printing a page of a book and then blanking it out. If the words weren't suitable for public consumption and they certainly weren't integral to the song (and even if it was then so what as nobody was able to hear what they were) why not just edit to the point where the song starts rather than leave it in?


Perhaps Queen wanted to make it clear what the song was about, because they were pretty hack off about there early years and rightly so, but just 'beeped' it out to avoid legal problems and so not to upset those who would be offended, minors etc then people could come to there own conclusion about 'Death On Two Legs' but Queen had to make there point ?
 
maidenpriest
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby Lester Burnham » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:17 pm

maidenpriest wrote:
Kes wrote:Guess it depends whether the dirty nasty motherf*cker is still alive, and/or likely to sue.

"This next song is from 'A Night At The Opera'. This is about a dirty nasty man, we call him motherf*cker, do you know what motherf*cker means? I'm sure you have a word for it! We call him... we also call him 'Death on Two Legs' Heh heh heh hey!"

Trivia bit 25,042: His brother, and co-owner/founder of a certain studio in London, was also the sound engineer on 'Hey Jude'.


Barry Shelfield or Ken Scott ?? :)

Barry Sheffield:

This attracted soon the eminence of artists such as the Beatles, who first visited the studio in July 1968 for the recording of "Hey Jude". This happened to be the first 8-track song ever recorded by the band. The Beatles returned to Trident later in August 1968 for the recording of "Dear Prudence", in October 1968 for "Honey Pie" and "Martha My Dear", and finally, in February 1969 for the recording of "I Want You". All of these sessions were engineered by Barry Sheffield. Another plus about Trident was the handmade Beckstein piano, which was over 100 years old and became a significant part of the studio's history and now is coined in numerous legendary recordings.


Source.
 
Lester Burnham
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:14 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby Kes » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:20 pm

The correct song title is 'Death On Two Legs (Dedicated to ...)'

The ellipses within the original song title "should" provide as much of a curiosity incentive as just about anything they could have done. I, too, have always found the bleeps to be both pointless and annoying.

It could have easily run... "This song is from A Night At The Opera, we call him Death On Two Legs!" No-one would have minded.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14739
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 351 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby drmurph » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:50 pm

I agree with Maidenpriest. As Kes said, the title is Death on two legs (dedicated to ...), so Queen (or at least someone...) decided (or made a point of) to leave the dedication on the record, and as with the song title left off who the dedication was for. There are even three beeps to match the... after the dedication (that might be coincidence).

I voted leave it as it is, it's the same arguement as "the Jealousy kick drum scandal 2011". Remixing or remastering.
 
drmurph
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 11:16 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby Kes » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:10 pm

I think the Live Killers album "could" do with not just remixing, but going into the master tapes for alternate performances, just to see if they sound better than one or two that are already on there. I'm thinking the first two tracks, if I'm being honest.

Not just that, but maybe adding in the songs that were played virtually every night, but still dropped from the album.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14739
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 351 times

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby GinjaNinja » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Kes wrote:I think the Live Killers album "could" do with not just remixing, but going into the master tapes for alternate performances, just to see if they sound better than one or two that are already on there. I'm thinking the first two tracks, if I'm being honest.

I actually really like that version of Let Me Entertain You. ;-)
Property Of Queen Productions...
 
GinjaNinja
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

The Coppery One...

      
 
Posts: 400
Images: 51
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:13 pm
Location: The Seven Seas Of Subjectivism
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Live Killers Re-release

Postby Kes » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Just sounds "muffled", even after the otherwise very good remastering around the turn of the century/millennium.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14739
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 351 times

Next

Return to Live Killers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest