Queen week on sky

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Queen week on sky

Postby Bea » Fri May 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Queen Week

Although Queen have made enough hits to fill our schedules for months on end, we've narrowed down their best live performances for a week of classic rock'n'roll, starting with the legendary concert Queen Rock Montreal.
Read more

From Monday 28 May at 10pm, Sky Arts 1 HD

Queen And Paul Rodgers: Let The...
Queen Rock Montreal
Queen: Live In Milton Keynes
Queen: Official Top 20
Queen: The Official Top 40
Queen: The Phenomenon
Queen: Video Killed...
ABBA Vs Queen: Top 10!
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing.

Bea
Spread Your Wings

I like morphine it's brilliant.

Re: Queen week on sky

Postby maidenpriest » Thu May 31, 2012 10:00 pm

Bea wrote:Queen Week

Although Queen have made enough hits to fill our schedules for months on end, we've narrowed down their best live performances for a week of classic rock'n'roll, starting with the legendary concert Queen Rock Montreal.
Read more

From Monday 28 May at 10pm, Sky Arts 1 HD

Queen And Paul Rodgers: Let The...
Queen Rock Montreal
Queen: Live In Milton Keynes
Queen: Official Top 20
Queen: The Official Top 40
Queen: The Phenomenon
Queen: Video Killed...
ABBA Vs Queen: Top 10!

What is the first and seventh program for some reason you have not put the full title, or is that the full titles ??

What the hell has Queen got to do with Abba, anyone any idea ??

maidenpriest
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:54 am

Let The Cosmos Rock - TV version of Live In Ukraine

Video Killed The Radio Star - series of programmes when bands and video directors talk about their work in the genre of making pop videos.

Queen vs ABBA. Common links...

Mamma Mia was the single that knocked Bo Rhap off #1, and Bo Rhap's lyrics contains that song title.
Both bands have very successful West End musicals running based around their songs. Another point of note is that I don't think ANY other groups have had such things run over ten years in the same theatre they opened in.
Both band's releases are now on Universal.
Both bands had their first major international hits in 1974.

If THAT helps?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby maidenpriest » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Kes wrote:Let The Cosmos Rock - TV version of Live In Ukraine

Video Killed The Radio Star - series of programmes when bands and video directors talk about their work in the genre of making pop videos.

Queen vs ABBA. Common links...

Mamma Mia was the single that knocked Bo Rhap off #1, and Bo Rhap's lyrics contains that song title.
Both bands have very successful West End musicals running based around their songs. Another point of note is that I don't think ANY other groups have had such things run over ten years in the same theatre they opened in.
Both band's releases are now on Universal.
Both bands had their first major international hits in 1974.

If THAT helps?

Thanks for the info Kes :)

maidenpriest
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Welcome.

Although musically there aren't that many comparisons between ABBA and Queen, in terms of success and achievements, they're closer to each other than a lot of other matches could be.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The Sixpence » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 am

ABBA also wrote a song about Freddie - Dancing Queen! ;-)

The Sixpence

March 5 2013 interview with Rog & Bri

Postby Isolde Jane Holland » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 pm

I love the quote the editors chose to highlight and define the article: "We made our own popcorn and orange juice". :P My God, it's like a third world country!

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ays-571958

Queen talk first gig and band early days
"We made our own popcorn and orange juice"
Matt ParkerMarch 6, 2013, 17:15 GMT

Tuesday 5 March saw Brian May and Roger Taylor unveiling a PRS Heritage Award plaque at the site of Queen's first major London show, Imperial College, in London – and MusicRadar was on hand to witness it.

Imperial was a popular early haunt for the band as Brian May attended university there and even used it's noticeboard to recruit drummer Roger Taylor. The Heritage Award marks the location and date (18 July, 1970) of the band's first proper London show in the college's Union Hall and was presented to the band by Guy Fletcher OBE, chair of the UK performing rights society, PRS For Music.

Following the ceremony, the band sat down to an open press Q&A and discussed the show, selling popcorn and commandeering lecture theatres for the band's first rehearsals.

"That [gig] was pretty special because I was on the entertainments committee and we used to book all kinds of acts," said May. "We booked Jimi Hendrix and it was only a couple of years later that suddenly we were playing in that room. It was packed and I couldn't believe it, it had been such a dream. It was one of the first times where I was playing to people that actually knew our material."

"We had so many experiences up there – not all of them repeatable," expanded Taylor. "But I remember seeing great bands, like Mott The Hoople, T. Rex, Procol Harum, so that room was part of music history, really."

Although it's now thought by both band and fans to be something of watershed moment for Queen, at the time it seems that nerves weren't an issue.

"I think we were just at that age where you are often full of a – probably misplaced – confidence," continued Taylor. "We believed in what we were doing."

Brian: "We were young and we were full of ideas and we thought we were better than anyone else, precociously. We just went out to conquer the world and it was foolish and ridiculous, but somehow it worked out."

As well as being the site of their first major show, the union was a hang-out and a rehearsal space for the burgeoning rock gods.

"I remember as if it were yesterday, meeting Roger in a little room next door," said May of his first jam with Taylor. "Roger sat down and started tapping the edges of his drums. I said, 'What are you doing?' And Roger said, 'I'm tuning my drums!' The people that I'd played with at that point had basically just hit things, but Roger was a craftsman. As soon as he started to play, something amazing happened. It sounds corny, but it really happened instantly because we just gelled."

After a period of jamming with different bassists and frontmen under the moniker of Smile, Taylor and May eventually joined forces with the inimitable Freddie Mercury, then known as Farrokh Bulsara.

"Freddie used to come and see Roger and I play here and, basically, criticise [us]," revealed May. "He'd say, 'This is very good, but you should do this. You should be an act. You should give it everything you can.'"

Again using the college as his base, May called in a favour with a lecturer and found rehearsal space in one of the university lecture theatres, even playing some tiny showcases gigs in the classroom.

"We invited people from the record business hoping they would give us a record deal," said the guitarist. "We'd play and we made our own popcorn and orange juice and sold it. Those were the very first gigs with Freddie, so there's a whole load of history. [Even near where we're sat] there was a sandwich bar where I used to go and be afraid to talk to people - everyone becomes a rockstar because they have to!"

Isolde Jane Holland
Spread Your Wings

Postby Action This Day » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Both bands had a sexy long haired-blonde... erm

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm not sure Agnetha ever had to dye hers to achieve it though.

If by "had" you widen it's interpretation, I'm sure Roger's "had" plenty of them.

Errr, also a technicality, "blonde" refers to those with "front bottoms",

.... And "blond" refers to those with hosepipes.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Return to Live Killers