Don't Stop Me Now only played live in '79 - Why?

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: Don't Stop Me Now only played live in '79 - Why?

Postby Guy J Mitchell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:15 pm

sbrown wrote:
Pingu wrote:All the Hot Space material (6 songs!) was ditched during or shortly after that tour..

Actually, Hot Space was represented by an astonishing 8 songs. 7 were ditched, and Under Pressure lives on and on and on.
I have hopes that they'll wheel out Dancer and Cool Cat this year, and we can have the whole album live on cd at some point.
(I know...I'm dreaming)

Go see http://www.queenboots.com/Queenboots2/q ... list_q.htm it lists all of the Queen Song Sets from all Gigs from 1970 to 1986. This will show you the Venues, Countries and how the Sets actually changed over the Tours. Good Trivia also.
From a very long time Queen fan. Long may they Rock !....
Guy J Mitchell. (An ageing Rocker). Alicante Spain. (Was Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK).

Guy J Mitchell
Spread Your Wings

Postby Action This Day » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Guy J Mitchell wrote:Out of interest I saw Queen again Saturday 5th June 1982 at the Milton Keynes, Bowl.
The set list: Flash, The Hero, We Will Rock You (fast), Play The Game, Staying Power, Somebody To Love, Now I'm Here, Dragon Attack, Love Of My Life, Save Me, Back Chat, Under Pressure, Fat Bottomed Girls, Bohemian Rhapsody, Tie Your Mother Down, Sheer Heart Attack. Encore: We Will Rock You (slow), We Are The Champions , God Save The Queen.
Interesting that this was the shortest show of the Hot Space Tour with only 19 songs.

That setlist isn't even correct for the MK gig - you have left out Action This Day, Get Down Make Love, Crazy Little Thing Called Love & Another One Bites The Dust which were all played.

That webpage you have linked to is full of errors btw. Queenlive.ca is a much better site for analysis of how Queen's setlist eveolved over time.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Guy J Mitchell » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 am

My apologies for the errors. I will correct them. The setlist I put was from memory and my video I recorded. Agreed Queen.ca is a very informative site.

Guy J Mitchell
Spread Your Wings

Postby Ostler » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Pingu wrote:I'm sure there's several reasons. For a part of the tour at least, that was the single on release at the time- and any touring band will play their new (on release) material to promote it and bolster sales (cold economics here- remember in the 'olden days' touring was never profitable, but the consequent record sales were).
Another possible reason is that, as Queen began to do bigger venues, especially the South American tour, Freddie became more of a 'stadium frontman' and as time went on was more reluctant to sit at the piano when he could be out front. So by Montreal, say, he's only at the piano for new songs (Save Me and Play the Game, both singles) and the older standbys (Killer Queen, Somebody to Love, Bo Rhap). The piano based songs dwindled dramatically from 81-86.
Finally, they always played new songs when they had a new album out, and ditched loads of them on the next tour. All the Hot Space material (6 songs!) was ditched during or shortly after that tour.. as was "Hard Life" after The Works tour. Like "Don't Stop Me Now", the songs "Dreamers Ball", "Bicycle Race", "If You Can't Beat Them" barely if at all made it out of the "Jazz" era.
I doubt Brian May's opinion was any more influential than anyone else's..

Yeah, I think basically the above sounds likely enough, but I also saw a recent interview with Brian May in which he said that none of the band regarded the song as anything special, and they were quite surprised when it became one of their best known/best loved songs many, many years later (in fact, wasn't it the 'Shaun of the Dead' movie that started that ball rolling?).
I do think that the version of 'Don't Stop Me Now' on Live Killers knocks spots off the studio version. I always find the studio version flat by comparison.

Ostler
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Live Killers